Thread: Fish ID

Fish ID

Hi,

I caught this guy whilst fishing for snapper Thursday night at mud. Never seen one before in the bay but thought it was some type of sweetlip, not sure now!

have a very flat tail, no fork, and a black patch at end of dorsal fin. tail fin has black fringe. was going with red bass but does not have the nose indentation that most descriptions point out, maybe a smaller one?

any ideas before it hits the pan?!

photo.jpg

Re: Fish ID

Pretty sure it's a juvenile large mouth nannygai.

I would have said a saddle tail / small mouth nannygai. Either way mate not a good idea to keep it if you don't know what it is.

so you killed a fish without knowing its size and take limits and your going to eat it without really knowing what it is.
    to that I say Good luck!!!!

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

yer small mouth nannagai legal size 40cm

Thanks JB sniper, looked that up and that's the one. see many around the bay? fish the bay fairly regularly and new come across one before.

benny Kenny, I thought it was a sweetlip which are caught in that area, and know the limits for that species, but in the light of day (new moon Thursday - very dark) it didn't look right, so asked the question and leant something new about the bay, which I'm grateful for.

Where's triple......must be getting slow with his countdown these days.......

Damn it. I missed it by that much...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

thanks triple, I'll have to cop this one! honest mistake though, normally very observant of sizes and practice 'take only what you need fresh' especially with the species that school up. Love the bay and all that is in and around it.

will throw back my next legal snapper as penance! unless you have some sort of Vulcan ritual you reserve for your tags?!

Dont get caught up in it to much Heaps of juvenile dead fish go back from the prawns.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkymark2 View Post
    Dont get caught up in it to much Heaps of juvenile dead fish go back from the prawns.
    And I'm not going to have a shower tonight because I'll just get dirty again tomorrow..............

is that why they call you muddy toes?
    lmfgo Graham