Thread: Dogs in back of 4x4's

Dogs in back of 4x4's

Had some sad news last week and that was a mate lost his 5 month old pup out the back of his 4x4. With the school holidays coming up, we all know how much the kids love to take the family pet on the camping trip. Just a friendly reminder if you are travelling with a dog in the back of a ute or 4x4 ensure you secure your dog the best way possible. I strongly recommend that they aren't tied in using a collar as most have plastic clips these days and are easily broken or more commonly the dog slips its collar. A safety approved harness is a much better option IMO. We cant avoid accidents but we can try our best to prevent them.

Happy camping and bring your pets home safely.

Cheers Mick

Re: Dogs in back of 4x4's

Not to mention the boys in blue would love to give you a ticket if you animal is not restrained appropriately

My dog used to wear a harness in the old ute but now he's upgraded to a canopy.

Still_Dreamin. Good point mate,had a look into that and you are spot on. They can be classed as an unsecured load or as you said inappropriately secured. Even more scary is if you look under the ANIMAL CARE AND PROTECTION ACT it can be one hell of a fine or even as harsh as clang watch your fingers.

Drivers need to remember they have a dog in the back also and drive with more Brains and less right foot...

well this morning this bloke found out what can happen with a dog in
    the back of his ute that was not restrained properly.

I was sitting inside and heard a massive thud and screeching of brakes and when
    i went outside saw this poor dog on the road convulsing and bleeding every where.

then when i looked in the back of the ute 5 meters up the road a similar dog crying and then
    i realised it was his dog, the rope broke and dog went flying of and hit by oncoming car.

I have to admit i felt sick seeing it but shows that more thought needs to be used
    with an animal in the back.

i dont know if it will make it i had to drive the bloke and dog to the vet because he was to distraught.

That'd break me for days seeing that.

Its sad but when you look at it 9 out of 10 times its the owners fault. Why use rope to start with. As we all know it can snap and how many dogs love to chew things. They may not chew things in the back yard or around the house but when placed in a different environment like the back of a ute, chewing can become a nervous or scared reaction. Another good one that you hear people doing is tying their dog in the back and driving down the road only to find out its the first time the dog has ever been tethered. Great place to see if your dog likes it or not. All well and good if the dog doesn't mind but on the other hand if it freaks out you don't have to guess the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wave dancer View Post
    Its sad but when you look at it 9 out of 10 times its the owners fault. Why use rope to start with. As we all know it can snap and how many dogs love to chew things. They may not chew things in the back yard or around the house but when placed in a different environment like the back of a ute, chewing can become a nervous or scared reaction. Another good one that you hear people doing is tying their dog in the back and driving down the road only to find out its the first time the dog has ever been tethered. Great place to see if your dog likes it or not. All well and good if the dog doesn't mind but on the other hand if it freaks out you don't have to guess the outcome.
    I'd say 10 times out of 10 it is the owners fault. The dog doesn't decide he or she wants to ride in the back of a ute doing 60,80,100 k's down the road, the owner does. I'm all for people involving there dogs in there lives and we all know they would rather be with you than not but please be bloody careful. The dog relies on you to be smarter than them and not place them in danger.

Cheers...Terry....

Steel/Aluminium dog crates or short chains. There isn't any other option for a dog on a ute.
    Alot of people make the mistake of making their chains/ropes long enough so the dog can hang its head out the side. It only needs to see another dog in a ute or get excited and it's over the edge, legs can't touch the ground nor can it grab the ute to get back in.
    Inside a crate they're safe as houses. They can move freely, stand up, lay down, and are as safe as they'll get in a crash.

therapy, I have never thought about it that way but after reading your comment I couldn't agree more. Mattooty some people get all caught up in how big or how much their dog weighs but at the end of the day I am yet to see one big enough or strong enough to break a chain. As you said a crate is safe as houses.

Cheers Mick

On a lighter note, can we remember the old days, only maybe 10 years ago.... when you went to work at 5-6AM and there were mostly work utes on the road at that hour, half of which carried dogs in the back.
    Tradesman hour, some called it.
    And sometimes the dogs would bark at each other as we drove down the road or highway.
    Your Dog did not care if you had to go to work at 3AM, she would be jumping in the back ready to go. Maybe even slept there awaiting.
    And if some fella left a sandwich unguarded at the work site, or the pie truck guy donated a couple old pies, well that was fair game.
    And the dogs rode home wagging their tail all the way. They were the luckiest dogs in the world.
    And how could you say no to your Dog on a Saturday morning when it is time for fishing or crabbing and they are there ready to go?
    RIP, Happy.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

FatBuoy , you have reminded me of some very fond childhood memories. Mind you it was a lot longer than ten years ago. My dad was a tradie and he used to take the dog to work everyday in the back of the ute. We would know that the old man was nearly home as we could hear the dog from a mile up the street. Used to run out and greet them both. RIP, Happy ???? Was Happy the name of your dog ?

Cheers Mick

Yes Mick,
    Happy was my dog and she travelled an amount of km's in the back of my utes that I would not expect people to believe.
    Maybe we should start a historic dog appreciation thread or even website. Our memories are fading fast and the family pets of today and tomorrow are nothing to compare.
    My Mum tells great stories from living on a farm in Victoria in the 1950's, 60's. During this time the cattle dogs were up for anything 24/7, from herding sheep, cows, fighting with predators at night or helping hunting and chasing rabbits on their day off.
    They were the ultimate example of hard work and loyalty.
    And all they wanted was to come inside and sit near the fire beside their master for an hour at night as some form of appreciation.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks for sharing that FatBuoy. Working dogs are absolutely amazing. Their toughness, loyalty and every scar has an outstanding story or adventure attached to it. Love the name.

Cheers Mick.