Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sick deckie etiquite

Re: Sick deckie etiquite

Seasickness Alert - Deckies on this vessel walk the plank, amazing how much better they feel once in the water .

Cheers.

I used to get it bad but after 80 trips to Deep Tempest I am cured. Best pills try Travacalm. Travacalm has two active ingredients whereas Kwells and a few of the others only have one.

If Travacalm don't work on their own, also take a couple of Blackmore ginger pills. Cured my number one deckie who doesnt need pills anymore.

If that doesn't work, take up Chess!!!

Barnacle

Funny shit....

The Escape with ET stuff you get from Bova Compounding Chemists seems to be the best one. It is based in Travelcalm with some ginger and caffeine but by all reports does not make you as dry or drowsy. One guy I put onto Avomine and he went good on it until a big gap in his fishing trips and a particularly rough day. I've seen them spew on everything else from medical people on prescribed Stemital, Travelcalm, Kwells, ginger, etc., etc. You've got it or you haven't but the pills or seabands or whatever help with the mental game of it I am sure. Keep thinking you have taken your tablets so you will be ok.

I take kwells as a precaution when I am out offshore I am fine in the bay I have never been seasick but it is never a nice thing seeing someone getting sick out on the boat as I would not like to be in that situation. I have no alcohol the night before 2 kwells and then 2 more in the morning before I go out they do dry you out a bit I drink plenty of water when I am out there to keep hydrated. I went out with one of the salesman from Northside Marine in the new Whittley SL24 Hardtop this thing was running a 170hp Volvo diesel great fishing rig John got crook and decided to spend the day in the cabin sleeping on and off which suited me as I got to drive this thing around for the day and fish wherever I wanted haha he would just come out every now and then to see how I was going gotta admire his resilience though he still managed to get a line in the water until he felt crook again.

Cheers Mick
    LOVIN THE GOOD TIMES FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE THE SPORT TIGHT LINES PEOPLE.....

Sick deckie etiquite

My missus has started getting queasy when we go outside.... Bit of a bummer actually.

But for her its going in the cabin or looking down away from the horizon that triggers it.

I am surprised that the salesman would get sick up on deck but prefer to be in the cabin.

I suppose it must affect different folk differently??

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

An old fella at work has tried everything and didn't work until someone told him to put some vicks in his belly button then put a bandaid over it he said its the only thing that worked for him. I have also heard of wearing just one ear plug...

That sorta sounds like telling the apprentice that rubbing antisieze into his arm to stop an ache.....
    are you fair dinkum?
    Cruisecraft 575 explorer.."Dont tell mum"

I must say that ive seen the 1 earplug treatment work.....

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    That sorta sounds like telling the apprentice that rubbing antisieze into his arm to stop an ache.....
    are you fair dinkum?
    Yeah sure am he said it's like a placebo mind over matter

I also believe its a lot to do with mind over matter too,
    My son gets really sick, But last time was the first time I made him take a sea sickness tablet,
    We were going offshore for 4 days of fishing,
    I gave him half a tablet the night before. He asked me how long do these tablets last, I told him I got them from the Marina where the boat is & that they assure me that a half tablet will last 7 days minimum.
    Well we fished for thous four days in some fairly average conditions, out at the shelf & slept 2 nights out there also.
    He played with his mobile phone all nigh & half the days in the cabin & never came close to getting sick,
    We went back out 2 weeks later for the day, he asked me where the tablets were, I told him I didn't have any, but he wouldn't need it cause the last tablets he had last time only really last a few hours.
    Well he got 1/2 way through the day & was a sick as.

Also seen it with other guys too,

Had to laugh when one of the gusy here said his mate used to spew and shit at the same time when sick, cause I had a deckie do the same lol.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I took a mate out and he basically spewed from lines-in to lines-up. He knew he got sick and usually took tablets, but didn't bother to on this occasion because he hadn't been sick for a while (logical).

Well I made him suffer while the fish were biting then got back to dry land and when filling up the boat he says "oh, I've forgot my wallet".. Didn't stop him claiming a share of the fish.

I gave him some grief until he payed his share but his name has been added to the "blacklist".

I got told a story of a bloke who went out on a charter to a reef. Badly sea sick and did the chunder and crap double. There's nothing particularly funny about that, however the toilet paper he used went over board. It unravelled and others on the boat initially thought it was a sea snake!! HAHA.

Im cryin here ! the stories! especially the one about the dog layin cable!!!

My dad is a keen fisho but a lifelong landlubber homegrown yellabelly cod catching bushie.
    When we moved to Cairns years ago, he and Mum came up, and of course dad wanted in on our new amazing fishing here off Cairns.

I already knew he was prone to sea sickness, but couldn't get him to take a tablet before going. We are now offshore catching trout, and I look over and see all the color had drained out of his face - you could see all those little fine veins and blood vessels in his face real clear! Next I see him pull his false teeth out and tuck them away. Has about 5 technicolor yawns and got that weak that I said to my mate we better take him over to the closest sand cay so he can get his legs back.
    We motor in to the cay and right up to the sand and I say to dad get up and just drop off the bow into the shallow water and step on the cay. The water was so clear you couldn't see the actual depth of the water. So he drops off feet first and disappears. the only thing left on the surface was his terry towling hat! Ha! There was a deep gutter along the cay. So he floats up in his overalls and stuff and crawls ashore like a drowned rat. And says to me later he didn't know what to do first. Pee Poop, or vomit!

Not to be deterred he wants to come out another visit up north so I say you have to take a tablet, to which he says he's got a proven method to stop the onset of chundering, this time but wouldn't let on what it was. Take him just 10 kms out to fish for mackerel, and he gets sick again in no time, so we head in , and while Im tying the boat down he's up in the truck. When I come up he has his overalls down and he's unravelling all this brown paper wrapped round and round his guts. Ha Ha Ha!! I says, "What the ???" He tells me his mum years ago used to do this to stop getting sick on the train! Some even older biddy had told her that it works . Im peeing myself here!! Over and out!!!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Have a friend who decided to pull a night jew session with my brother and i on the boat. He is a bit of a farm boy so he didnt know what to expect. We anchored up in the bay for the night and he decides to liven up the night by drinking 'some' red wine (dont ask why wine, the guy hasn't drunk straight water since he turned 18).
    So we let him at it, no dinner apart from a sanga, he is swigging away through the night and manages 2 bottles, meanwhile my brother and i are pissing ourselves and he doesn't get why. We end up catching 2 jews and come daybreak we inform him that we will just head out the heads for a bit to grab a couple of squid and do some bottom bashing.

Well, as soon as we turned the corner and the swell kicks up he begins to breathe really deep, i mean take breaths like he has just finished holding his for the last 3 minutes. We start asking him whats wrong, pretending we don't know whats going on, trying to hold back the tears.

5 minutes later he decided to bend over the side of the boat and stare intently at the water to see whats outside the boat...... and then the fountain began. i have never seen chunder that purple before, surely the result of an empty stomach, no sleep and almost 2 liters of red wine. My brother and i cant hold back any more, tears f laughter from both of us.

So he has emptied his stomach and is dry retching and we begin to assure him that he is focusing too much on being seasick, he needs to do something to keep him occupied. He tells us he doesn't feel like fishing so we give him another task. We tell him we need a constant supply of bait and he gets to peeling 2 day old mushy warm black school prawns which were destined for the burley, the faces he was pulling and the retching he was doing were hilarious. We let him off the hook after 1/2 hour of peeling telling him it was not necessary.

Long story short, he suffered, but he never whinged, never complained, never said "take me home", he just stuck it outand manned up, he respected the fact that there were other people on the boat whose day would be ruined if we packed it in. Mind you, he never wants to go out with us again