Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick deckie etiquite

Sick deckie etiquite

Last friday, gold coast show day holiday, goldy 24s

What do you do when your mate gets sick?

I dont get out as much as i would like so when i do and my mate who has been hinting at joining me for a fish for a while, starts going green at 0520 hrs soon after we are outside the seaway on possibly the flattest day i can remember for a while and the first day i have been able to get out for a few weeks, i do what every good mate should do. I change direction from 36s to my favorite 24s spot so its not too far to bring him back in when i feel he has had enough and doesnt look like getting any better...or he has run out of burley.

But,
    then i start the drift, with him sitting on the icebox hanging over the side of the boat trying to communicate with the passing whales, and get a nice little snapper......a few undersize pearlies go back,....a nice tusky....mmmm. "how you hangin in there buddy"......"i have never felt so shit in all my life"........"wanna kwells"....another snapper....Then i realise what a good time i am having....the serenity, apart from the odd stuck pig type moan. No kids on board hooking more earth than fish, tangles etc. The whole fishing space to myself, 3 rods on the go...not having to share my sangers and chips,This is really enjoyable. "what time do you usually head back in".....long silence....i was about to say 7pm just to hear the reaction....... "are you keen to get back"......"yeah".......snapper, several tailor.....another snapper........."

Finally i guess i better take him back in. Is this correct fishing etiquite....not sure.

I ring wifey to come and get him from the ramp and drop off the young bloke if he is keen and take the mixed box of dinner home. 10 am now, young bloke has a ball, nil swell and sea so he drives, we head to check out a few old marks for action, then choose another 24s mark ne and he puts me on the spot for several drifts through my mark for a feed of good flatties to add to the collection. What a fantastic day, big smiles all round, young one enjoyed driving in the perfect conditions more than fishing so i had all the fun.

Ate fish every meal all weekend...for a change.

Went home, washed the cruisy

The end.

Re: Sick deckie etiquite

My brother in law is the same. He was keen to head out to do some reef fishing, so I loaded the boat and off we went. The conditions were glass out, he was enjoying the ride out, as soon as the pick went down, he turned that greenish colour. From then on he spewed non stop, couldn't even open his eyes. As frustrated a I was, I pulled the pick and took him back to the ramp (after an hour or so of fishing). I then headed back out with my oldman.

Yeah must feel terrible being in that state. I kept saying "you'll be right". He pretty much begged to go back in. My oldman reckon he would have left him on an island till we were done lol. I think bringing the person home would be the best move as the day is kinda ruined when you have a green zombie on board..

You blokes are a lot nicer than what we are like. If we are heading out the reef it's an all day event. If you get sick tough luck. We are out for the day.

Sounds cruel, but when you don't get too many opportunities you need to make the most of them.

Pazz

I had this kook on my boat once that was getting sick right from getting livies, useless bugga couldn't handle a livie rig, got it tangled in his shirt etc, then wanted to lie down in the cabin as we motored out through the swell, ended up 30 km off shore, wasn't taking him back.

Yes, I think that is the proper etiquette.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeah Pazz I hear ya. I thought the same...but when you see someone that ill, you kinda feel sorry for them (I did anyway). lol.

If there is a hot bite happening, the deckie would need to be pleading for his/her life before we stop fishing and take them home. The rest of the crew would mutiny!

It is quite amazing how so often, its the "tough" confident young bucks that suddenly discover that the dreaded mal de mer has struck them down. Poor chickens!

Perhaps thats why i have little mercy for them, and why there is a certain perverse enjoyment in watching them suffer. Kind of the same as how we all crack up when the batsman gets smacked in the goolies by the big fast bowler's quickest delivery of the day.

You cant help but laugh, or at least smile behind your hand, can you!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

nah, you've got it all wrong. it is the duty, nay the responsibility of all able bodied fishos to make those afflicted by seasickness feel as bad as possible. this will have 1 of 2 outcomes:
    1. sick fisho decides boating is not for him or
    2. sick fisho prepares a bit better for the next trip by reducing previous nights alcohol intake and dosing up on kwells etc.

if my wife can get sick on a charter and outfish all the boys who were present (which she has), then your mate is a pussy of the highest order.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Went out with a mate off this forum, called Steve on his boat,he asked do I get sea sick, nup I say. He said he had a mate out last trip, that was that sick every time he spewed ,he pooed as well. He said the stench was horrid,I think I would have to give in in that instance.

Just the range of responses i was after.............loved the "like watching a cricketer cop one in the goolies" analogy......nice...sorta sick but funny. Nothing wrong with vomit along as it is over the side and u have a deckwash, and it brings the fish on the chew....just dont tell mum what made them bite

Nothing worse i think.. i had a mate who refused to take a tablet before we went out saying he will be fine etc he has been on boats etc.. Flat day half way to the bait reef and he spews over the side already.. tough luck buddy i was back in at 12 while he slept in the cabin.. the only instance would be the Mrs i would come back in for (browny points to be utilized later lol)
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Went for a trip out on a mates prawn trawler a good many years ago, was the first and only time I was crook on the water and it was purely because of excess alcohol consumption the night before. No way they were coming back in when there was money to be made, and there was no way I would have asked. I just curled up in a corner and took my medicine.

J
    Classic Catches:
    Flathead 25cm
    Bream 22cm
    Gumboot size 9
    Seaweed 3 kgs
    Berley Cage 2 kgs
    My own hat
    A shell, about 15cm diameter
    Anchor rope, about 5 times.

tell em to jump overboard head underwater will equalise the body and take the sickness away.... try not to do it after burley has been sent down

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rossiter View Post
    Went for a trip out on a mates prawn trawler a good many years ago, was the first and only time I was crook on the water and it was purely because of excess alcohol consumption the night before. No way they were coming back in when there was money to be made, and there was no way I would have asked. I just curled up in a corner and took my medicine.

J
    we once steamed 6 hours back to port to drop off a crook deckie. he wasn't seasick - we were sick of him - lazy, ignorant prick he was. smoking below decks (despite warnings to the contrary), leaving rubbish stashed under his bunk, couldn't cook and wouldn't wash up till forced. straw that broke the camels back was when he left the lazy line out (no pun there) which wrapped round the prop. i ended up having to dive under the boat in the middle of the night with a knife to free the prop after we had been working half the night with plenty of noahs following us round...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Whats the best tablet to take for sea sickness? I don't get it but my old man does.And I'm not taking him back when I'm out at Fitzroy next weekend....
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....