Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick deckie etiquite

Re: Sick deckie etiquite

I seldom get sick these days, but having your own boat is part of the reason I pay crap loads of money to own one, if I get crook it's my right to go back in if I want to, compared to going on charter boats once in a while, which is far more affordable way to fish but can't guarantee you've booked for ideal conditions. But because I have been seasick once or twice I apply what I know from experience. If deckie spews once or twice but manages to get some water or food down, which stays there for an hour or two, keep fishing. If he barfs more than that and he is only dry reaching after 3 or 4 times over an hour or two, overcoming seasickness is going to take longer and sometimes it feels like you are hungover for a couple of days after. Try to avoid that and take them back if that's the way they look like going.

Best cure for me, according to my skipper mate, was to scull a whole beer down as fast as I could. I guess it didn't work this time as the beer was still cold and fizzy as it bubbled out through my nostrils as well. I still enjoy a beer since then though! The Nancys would be saying right now TMI which my girlies of the family tell me is their acronym for "too much information"

That's fishin!

Scalem

The best medications are available on script, these being Maxalon, Stemetil and Zofran. Zofran is used in chemo patients and is $$ the tried and true Stemetil is probably the best and most GPs would write a script. Make sure you take a dose 12-24hrs before you go out, do not wait until you get on the water or start to feel ill, it is not as effective.

J
    Classic Catches:
    Flathead 25cm
    Bream 22cm
    Gumboot size 9
    Seaweed 3 kgs
    Berley Cage 2 kgs
    My own hat
    A shell, about 15cm diameter
    Anchor rope, about 5 times.

I have actually done some informal research, and found 15% of people will get sea sick when out at sea for their first trip. This was done over a period of time, in anything from calm to moderate conditions. Some interesting finds are, Chineese people are most likely to be sea sick, followed closely by Indian and other Asians nationalities. Also, Aussie males are most likely to be hung over before a fishing trip, giving them a higher sea sick rate than females. The rate of sea sickness is likely to be slightly higher on diesel powered monohulls.
    Things that contribute most to the likelyhood of a person being sea sick are, lack of sleep, alcohol, greasy breakfast- particularly MacDonalds, not taking Kwells/travacalms etc.

So basically, if your decky is a Chineese bloke, whos been up all night drinking, and stops in at Maccas on the way to the ramp, dont go past the bait grounds.

Funniest one I've had was a mate who didnt usually get crook. He came out after a big night on the red and as soon as we pulled up he curled up at the front of the boat under the folded down Bimini top.

About half an hour later I hear he going for a big heave. I turned around and it became apparent why- the dog had laid a huge cable on the bimini top sitting only a few inches above my mates head. As soon as the stench hit it was all too much for him.

Thought it was hilarious until I tried to work out how the hell to get rid of the offending turd. That was cause for another round of barfing.

This is hilarious, i've just caught up on all the chapters of chunder, my gut muscles are that sore from p*ssing myself laughing i can hardly walk.

On a slightly serious note if my kids start looking crookish, i get them to stand, not sit, and dont hold on to anything. This way the body has to balance itself and they sometimes get better........adults you just laugh at. Sometimes is the key word here...other times they look at you funny, turn green and send projectile vomit in my general direction. Lucky we are surrounded by water to wash in.

I was out of tweed in the cruisy chasing yft last summer with a couple of mates, thought it would be a great idea to get sh#*tfaced the night before on Fat Yak...mmmmm. great idea at the time. Next morning usual 2-3 m sea up against nine mile...looking at the screen trying to put the boys on fish....mmmm i dont feel to good. "Next fish is mine boys"...............reel screams off, i grab the tyrnos and start reeling.....huge vomit mid reel, straight over the side, boys p#ssed themselves laughing, all good , carry on as normal. YFT for dinner.
    Cruisecraft 575 explorer.."Dont tell mum"

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    You blokes are a lot nicer than what we are like. If we are heading out the reef it's an all day event. If you get sick tough luck. We are out for the day.

Sounds cruel, but when you don't get too many opportunities you need to make the most of them.

Pazz
    THIS.^^^^^^

Seasickness,At first you are afraid you will die , then you are afraid you WON'T die !

I take Blue travacalm (one in the morning when I wake) and don't have dairy products the day before and on the day (that tip from the pros). Alcohol can be a big factor in causing sickness also. KP

mmm

I laughed at a bloke who was sick for the whole 5 days we were out once until I went to moreton one time and never felt so green in all my life. Was good until we stopped and then added to the burley trail. Lack of sleep,not much to eat was the cause i reckon. It is the worst feeling ever and feel sorry for anyone who suffers from seasickness.
    Hubby takes Kwells now the night before and seems to be ok. He suffers alot. We were out with Bill Corten and i was having the time of my life--Hubby was green as grass--not to mention Bill Cortens Deckie was even worse. It must of been a long day for both of them
    No bloody way was I going to cut a great day short to take either of them back to shore.

Etiquette--- Spell out the rules before you leave-- if you get sick tuff titties.

Mrs H

Hi Guys

My wife and her brother both love being out on the water but were notoriously bad when it came to getting seasick.

Both had tried the usual remedies travecalm/kwells etc but with very limited success.

My brother in law decided to give the travel sickness pills advertised on fishing with ET tv show and website a go.

He now swears by the product and has had numerous event free fishing trips. My wife decided to give it a go and now has several boat trips under her belt again with great success.

Please don't interpret this as a plug as i have no involvement with the tv show or the compound chemist who make/distribute the product.

My wife got the phone number from the ET website.

Happy, healthy boating to all.

Cheers Greg
    Last edited by Hossfish; 08-09-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: crap grammar

Get some Travelcalm with ginger in it. That will sort him out,take an hour before you get on the water(when you get up) and he will be good for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowrascal View Post
    Get some Travelcalm with ginger in it. That will sort him out,take an hour before you get on the water(when you get up) and he will be good for the day.
    Ginger beer it is ...

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowrascal View Post
    Some years ago, we took a overseas visitor on a trip out to Lady Musgrave Is from Bundaberg. She wanted to see the GBR, and what better way!

Stayed overnight at Bundy the night before and sent the Admiral into the chemist to get some travelcalm for herself and our female visitor from Japan. She came out with some of the ginger stuff. I sent her back in to get some of the real stuff. But none available. Apparently.....

Next morning, they dutifully followed the instructuons on the ginger, rainforest friendly, vegetarian, non-chemically enhanced travelcalm, and were duly spewing their guts out 15 minites after leaving the ramp.

Waste of time, that ginger stuff.

Out at Musgrave, I had a word to the deckie on the boat and got them each a real travelcalm. After a swim, lunch and another snorkeling session, they slept most of the way back to Bundy port and never looked like crying for God on the big white telephone.

I rest my case.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Had one mate who had never been in any sort of swell before, turn green and curl up into fetal position and couldn't even speak the minute we got out. Another 1 was out on a mates boat with his younger brother in law when he got sick, he rolled his smokes up in a plastic bag and as we neared the back of the break he jumped overboard and swam to the beach, hahaha! Ben