Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick deckie etiquite

Re: Sick deckie etiquite

Years ago, I got a call from a bloke who had bought a yacht and was taking it to Sydney. His son and mates were coming along but he was concerned as they didn't have a lot of experience, so he hired me to 'help'. Arrived at the marina the night before departure and he is barely able to move as he has thrown out his back and his son and mates were all on the piss. I declined to join them in the festivities and knowing what the expected headwinds and seas for the next three days were forecast, I headed off to get some sleep as I thought I might not get a lot during the trip. Owner crawling into his bunk early and the rest partied on. Early the next morning, they all arose to massive hangovers as we set sail south. Within 2hrs they were all chucking up and I sent them below. The stench was shocking as they all couldn't make the trip to deck in a rough sea so chucked on the floor which set a convoy of similar reactions in place from the rest of them. I set up for a long solo sail with food/water/torches etc within reach or stowed above and then dropped the storm boards in place and closed them in. Reasonable old blow had me busy for the next three days but I was able to grab short stints of sleep on deck with an alarm waking me to check the boat was still sailing in the right direction and the horizon was clear. I had to do a duck below to confirm a bearing a couple of time and boy was it rank down there. There was the occasional reference to life below and a few times a hatch would slide open and a head stick out then quickly duck below. On the third day, I got to port and dropped sails, tidied up and secured the deck, then fired up the donk and motored to the marina. Again had to duck below and grab my bag and near chucked. Closed them back in and went off for a shower, a feed and a rumbo, then wait for a sign of life for a trip to the airport and some cash. Eventually they all came out and I was glad they were downwind. They then went to the bar to 'celebrate' the adventure. I would have thought a shower and change of clothes were priority, but I got what I want and was on my way. Never again did I take on one of those gigs again solo.

We had an offshore trip organised with a few of the other Firies from work, on a charter boat off the Goldie a few years back. The first spewed before we got out of the seaway, and he continued for the next 4 hours. He burst all the blood vessels in his eyes he was chucking that hard, the whites of his eyes were red.There were about 4 other spewers during the morning, with one bloke spewing on the arm of the bloke next to him. The best sight was the oldest and hardest bloke there, stubbie in one hand, durrie in the other and fishing with no worries. I got a lot of the spewers on video as well LOL.Lucky we knew the owner of the charter boat.

Good thread, I recon they key thing is making sure deckie knows the rules before the trip. If I have an unkown deckie coming with me and i'm going to the shelf I make sure they know that we're staying out till late no matter what. Similar, its a half shitty day i'll say well if you get real sick we can come home early. Regular deckies that treat you good but get sick from time to time I like to look after a bit if the bites quiet, if fishing is good a quality sick deckie powers on and keeps fishing!!! Above rules do not apply when skipper gets crook.....

Mossy do you want to tell the story or will Dave ?

I was out on a fishing charter off Cairns one year back on holidays before I had a boat. One bloke started looking green around the gills and it was very flat.

The deckie has hardly said a word during the trip but he says to the guy "want an instant seasickness cure?" the guy is all ears and the deckie says "put one index finger in your mouth and the other index finger in your bum, now swap" with that the guy starts chundering (as we all laugh) and after getting it all out he felt a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by MEG-A-BITE View Post
    Whats the best tablet to take for sea sickness? I don't get it but my old man does.And I'm not taking him back when I'm out at Fitzroy next weekend....

Don't worry about the tablets, just feed him nothing but tuna, at least you should have some decent burley.....

And I guess it depends on whether your married to the decky, might make life interesting if you sit there fishing for 6 hours while she's hanging over the side.

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

If the skipper is crook it is different.I was out in my boat with a mate off the Goldie in Mackerel season,I had a hangover that would kill a brown dog,I said we gotta get moving,as I throttled on I barked up all of yesterdays consumption inside the boat.Once that was done,all good to fish again,note to self though,stay off the piss before a day on the water !

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    note to self though,stay off the piss before a day on the water !
    How are you going to cope at 1770???

Drink by weather forecasts !

Shitty weather = on the soup ! I have had much prior training,bit like old bull young bull,Apollo would agree ! That reminds me of a joke,ask me next week !

Thats where you have gone wrong. Any weather = on the soup....

My first overnight trip years ago I spewed that hard I pulled me gooch muscle, that was more painful than being seasick.

I reckon I've spewed more times than some of you blokes have had hot dinners. I never expected anyone to turn around because I was sick. You just try and deal with it. I'm not too bad these days but usually take a day to get used to it. When I was young and fresh faced I scored a job on a prawn trawler off Mooloolaba. First couple of trips were horrendous. I spent five days in the forecastle without food or water, sick like you wouldn't believe. The skipper was pissed off and I guess he a right to be but he never offered me any water or food. I got delirious, confused and nearly jumped overboard. I had to ask for water and I managed to get some food into me eventually. I made it home and fell asleep but later woke completely freaking out thinking that I had killed my flatmate!!!wtf I hadn't of course but I was completely delirious again and was like I was living a nightmare while being awake. True story. You can imagine my panic. Your mind plays tricks on you when you don't have water or food for five days. I did get used to it after a while but I will never forget that trip

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Went out with a mate off this forum, called Steve on his boat,he asked do I get sea sick, nup I say. He said he had a mate out last trip, that was that sick every time he spewed ,he pooed as well. He said the stench was horrid,I think I would have to give in in that instance.
    Aahaa gross !!! Farts - never trust them

I fish on a couple of charter boats of Goldie and nowadays they tend to go out less often and are full! i.e. 10 -12 people - that means novices and tangles. I just love to see the heavies who bring slabs of beer on board at 6am and start to drink before we have left the Seaway - we even encourage them! Its all to our benefit as after catching the livies and heading way out past the 36's we can almost guarantee three or four of them will be crook and not fishing. More room for us! Last trip 11 went out at 6am and 6 of us fished - back at 3.30pm! Thats near $1000 wasted by the sickies.
    Plato