Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pros smash the GTs off Fraser

Re: Pros smash the GTs off Fraser

May not need to waste a day at the cape next week then. . A shameful waste. Mark, why don't you get the Minister onto Ausfish?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    If I was in the business I would go where the profit was better. There are strict regulations on seafood leaving the coops and distributors. I'm not sure about delivery of the raw product though. If these pros are entitled to catch the fish and make a living from it then that's OK. If the resource can be better utilised then the loss of access to the fishery has to be reimbursed in some way.
    I agree that a lot of the inshore species should be non commercial but we have to be fair and pay out the people currently fishing them commercially
    I agree entirely that if someone is displaced from their income then they should be compensated. However Blind Freddy can see that regardless of whether it is legal, this is STILL WRONG!
    Even Mark and the Minister can see that. Surely..... It ain't rocket science!

The issue is simply that
    1. The Minister has to accept it and acknowledge it.
    2. He has to amend the legislation to fix it.
    3. And he has to compensate the commercial fishers displaced.
    If this means and extra $10 or $20 "fishing permit" on top of the other charges to visit Fraser Island then I would happily pay it.

The permit of course should be for a set time and then stopped when it had simply recoup the amount needed to fairly compensate.... which then brings a "trust of government" issue into play.

Anyone who thinks this is a serious issue and wonders why nothing is ever done should have a read of a brilliant piece of correspondence from David Cook that I posted on Ausfish here:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...agement-in-Qld

Please read the article and you will start to see why we have endemic problems of this sort in Fisheries Management in Qld. This is not just about the goldies on Fraser, but also other stocks around the state including queenies, permit, grey mackerel, tailor, barra, threadies, spotted mackerel, and the list goes on. Most of our inshore netted species have been decimated.

still no pictures though?

Yes NoelM. We do need photos. Surely that cant be too hard to get a couple emailed and posted?

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

I too was keen on seeing the Photos mmm Bugman where AER"NT THOU

Pictures? oh my how some can talk the talk but can't walk the walk