Thread: Father's day surprise

Father's day surprise

Hi Gents

Just got my boat and finished wiring it last week. Took it out from Coochiemudlo on Sunday for the first fish with my non-fishing partner, not expecting to catch much, and with about 10 pilchards for bait, and an assortment of plastics and vibes.

Did some bottom-bashing near the red bouy. Nothing on plastics, but a couple of baby reds on chunks of pilchard. About six other boats there as well, but no-one seemed to be catching much, so motored around to northern side out of the wind.

Drifted near where most people fish for snapper (about six boats parked there, 500 metres north of the island, again not catching much from what I could see). Drifted towards the yellow crossover, soaking a pillie. At the top of the tide, I had three rapid hookups for a 65cm flattie, followed by a shark mackeral about 66cm, and then a grinner (on a three-hook rig! Aggressive little bugger.)

The mac gave my $69 Shimano BCF snapper special a real workout, but the outfit coped well, with the beautiful Shimano drag working its' magic.

Never tried shark mac before, but with a touch of flour and cooked in butter, bloody delightful. Flathead tonight.

Re: Father's day surprise

sounds like a great day out mate... was it a shark mac or was it a school mackerel
    cheers rosco

Hey Peter you did well M8....no leaky boat anymore ?

Cheers, Ray

yeah good effort those combos have been going great guns. Saw youngy scored a nice 80cm jew couple weeks ago on that setup
    school mack and flatty both great chewing well done!
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

According to the reference I had in the boat, it was a shark mackerel. Never seen one before, but the picture was pretty definitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Soleman, the bungs I have now need a little persuasion to go in, but at least they won't fall out. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well done mate, you gotta be happy with results like that.
    Cheers