Thread: restoring old glass and graphite rods

restoring old glass and graphite rods

i apologise in advance if this question comes up as regular, but i looked through many, many pages and searched the net but came up empty (no doubt my search skills at fault).

however, my question being is i have a number of rods , some glass, such as mustard colour surf rods (not bad condition) amongst others, one or two ugly sticks, typical colour, clear at top, colour varies down the rod but meant to be predominately black or blue with cross stripes (old-ish--maybe from the 80's 90's) and quite a few graphite rods that still appear to work very well but look ultra faded. sun damaged is how they might be characterised (even though they all spent their life under cover when not in use), a few exceptional (graphite or carbon) rods i thought i always took care (and kept in tubes) of but apparently not as they have faded to look pretty ordinary now

are they any fixes to these rods, should i have stuck to my old cane rods? they just take a new varnish....is it the same with graphite rods?

cheers
    chippy

i honestly dont mind some 'patina' or age to rod but my old graphite especially and some of the glass rods look kinda awful now,

hoping i can fix em up a bit?

Re: restoring old glass and graphite rods

Hi Ch1ppy,

To revitalise the look of old rods I'd probably be cleaning them up with alcohol, then sanding up grips and using a rod varnish on the blanks.