Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shark fishing

shark fishing

does anyone on this site do any shark fishing?
    reason I ask is I have caught a lot of big bull sharks up to 9-10ft
    a few reef sharks up to 9ft
    a 5-6ft leopard shark in moreton bay and around cape moreton
    but I want to find something different like hammer head, mako, tiger, dose anyone know where to go for these sharks?
    I sold my 16ft boat but have access to a 14ft tinny, I fish from moreton to tweed
    also has many of you caught many sharks in winter?
    every shark I have caught is in summer. I hooked a small mako at cape moreton in winter but that's it.

I know a lot of anglers hate sharks and shark fishing, but when im catching a feed of snapper, sweet lip and so on I love having 2 shark rigs out with 4m of 700pnd cable, and when one goes off great fight, big adrenalin, great photos and me and my boy just love sharks.

but any help in areas, seasons, and different types of sharks would be great, im happy to give help in rigs, areas, baits, best times in small or bigger boats with the sharks im hooking consistently. cheers

20130728_194921.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Screaming drag is my drug

Re: shark fishing

Hi mate,
    As a young fella ( a long time ago) I caught a few Bronze Whalers around the 7-9 ft mark and had a sailing boat cut my line attached to a 12ft tiger doing surface rolls. The whalers were caught at the Hanlon light and South West Rocks off Peel Island on bonito. The tiger was also at the Hanlon Light. My little girl, who is 7 is keen as anything to also go shark fishing. She saw the old photos and did a show and tell at school.

I have the rigs ready to go and the bonito in the freezer. I floated about 10ft off the bottom.

It is good fun and you certainly get a adrenalin rush. I am looking forward to it but I reckon she will crap her self when she sees it.

I am sure there are many ways to get them in the bay but that is what I will be doing.

Good luck.
    Cheers Dave

I definitely agree with peel island- although i haven't caught any, i have seen a pro crabber doing the every now and then and the whitewater cause by the fins and tails slahing through the water is something to behold... from where i was looking, there were a couple of very large tigers, whalers and bulls following the boat around. I', sure a large livie under a float anywhere along the southern-western end of peel wouldn't take long to get smashed.

Cheers, pp

on Sunday i had a mako at the back of my boat on the 24s east of the seaway.. had him at the back of the boat for 15mins feeding him a few pilchards If you want to go shark fishing the headland in front of 1770 is ridiculous.. you just need a live spanish mackeral for bait lol.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

shark fishing

Mud island with a live squire for bait, the bigger the better....

i caught a few bull sharks in the Logan river few years ago also lost a rod . wasnt watchin went to my car came back where the hell did that go followed by seeing drag marks in the mud and the shark hitting the surface

Drift in between peel and harries with a pillie tree on gangs under a balloon and you will catch heaps of bronze whalers... Have caught a few while curbing for a mackerel in the past..

Quote Originally Posted by MrNanks View Post
    Hi mate,
    As a young fella ( a long time ago) I caught a few Bronze Whalers around the 7-9 ft mark and had a sailing boat cut my line attached to a 12ft tiger doing surface rolls. The whalers were caught at the Hanlon light and South West Rocks off Peel Island on bonito. The tiger was also at the Hanlon Light. My little girl, who is 7 is keen as anything to also go shark fishing. She saw the old photos and did a show and tell at school.

I have the rigs ready to go and the bonito in the freezer. I floated about 10ft off the bottom.

It is good fun and you certainly get a adrenalin rush. I am looking forward to it but I reckon she will crap her self when she sees it.

I am sure there are many ways to get them in the bay but that is what I will be doing.

Good luck.
    Cheers Dave
    show n tell that's great
    be great to get a tiger, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by phantomphisher View Post
    I definitely agree with peel island- although i haven't caught any, i have seen a pro crabber doing the every now and then and the whitewater cause by the fins and tails slahing through the water is something to behold... from where i was looking, there were a couple of very large tigers, whalers and bulls following the boat around. I', sure a large livie under a float anywhere along the southern-western end of peel wouldn't take long to get smashed.

Cheers, pp
    southern western side is were the artificial reef balls are hey?
    that's were iv been getting mine. good spot

so tigers at peel hey? happy to here that.

is anyone getting sharks threw winter?

From now through to Christmas try the end of the north wall of the Gold Coast seaway at night with a run out tide. Use whole Mullet and put 2 baits out unweighted. Doing this you will encounter Whaler Sharks and Hammerheads up to 10 foot.
    Happy Hunting!

Hey Tim
    Looking at these pics thinking i know that boat.....
    hahaha
    Now i know why the deckwash
    cheers Todd

What size mainline are yous using
    Cheers Nic

Quote Originally Posted by tsea View Post
    Hey Tim
    Looking at these pics thinking i know that boat.....
    hahaha
    Now i know why the deckwash
    cheers Todd
    haha have you blooded your new boat yet mate?
    im going out this sunday in mates 5.5 center consoul his got a top snapper spot, and the moon is perfect this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nslfishing View Post
    What size mainline are yous using
    Cheers Nic
    30pnd &
    big reel 50pnd, with 300pnd leader 4m long joined to 4m 1000pnd cable