Thread: Searbs meeting

Searbs meeting

I arrived home yesterday after a week away from home during which I attended a meeting of the SEARBS (South Eastern Australian Rod Builders). This meeting had double the numbers from the previous meeting I attended last November and it was a real pleasure to catch up with some old friends and to meet many new friends. The biggest kick for me was seeing the number of young blokes attending and to see some of their works as they will be the future of custom rodbuilding in Australia. There were builders travelling from Queensland, Victoria, ACT and distant parts of NSW just for the one day. It was greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure by Col Chaseling and Ray Balmforth (host).

We only had the one day for this meeting and it really needed to be held over two days. The problem was that after catching up with everyone and chatting about different rods and new techniques, there was no time left to actually demonstrate anything. I know Col Chaseling will be looking at that for future meetings - especially if they are as well attended as this meeting was.

Topics discussed were, fingernail burnishing with Tiger wraps, G-Urushi and olive branching. I would really have liked to hear Ray Balmforth discuss his birchbark grips - these are just simply outstanding. Another builder whose work I was really impressed with was John Barrick. His work is just so clean and neat it is a real credit to him and well worth any potential customer having a look at - top notch work.

It was mentioned at the meeting that we need to organize an Aussie rod similar to a World Rod. I think this would be a great idea and something which would be a great fund raiser for a suitable charity. I don't know how we could organize it but I'm sure someone out there has those skills and may be able to get the ball rolling. There are plenty of suppliers who would also help out.

Anyway, a great day was had by all. Looking forward to the next.

Best Regards
    Mark
    Outback Rods

Re: Searbs meeting

I completely agree with Mark. It was a great day and a bit short. Personally I could have done it for a week but next time 2 days would be great. We could gather around a few tables and get some building practice. The tips & trips that Mark shared was great to listen too and I'm sure everyone there appreciated it.
    I got chatting with quite a few people who had great insights and information that I'll take away with me. I'm sure the next meeting will be even bigger and better.
    An Aussie rod would be a great idea; I'll second that and thanks again for the kind words Mark.

Cheers,

When and where is the next one, and can anyone go or is it invit only
    CHEERS AND BEERS

Anyone can go Bigjudge. We only need numbers in the few days prior to the meeting for catering purposes. I'll find out when the next one is on and let you know. I can only get to one, maybe 2 a year due to the distance involved but I enjoy every minute and always learn something new.

Cheers
    Mark