Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your fav bottom bashing outfit...

Your fav bottom bashing outfit...

Another question... . What's your favourite bottom bashing outfit? I use an ugly stick 37kg with a banax 5500 (25kg drag) at night. I do find it a little stiff though. I am thinking of something with a little more flex with braid.

Maybe better hook ups with a flexy rod, Before going out and buying something else, i'll get some ideas of you guys first.

Rob

Re: Your fav bottom bashing outfit...

Rob,
    Where you fishing, what are you chasing and what depth you fishing ?

50m usually, rubble. Nannies, spangled.

I use 10 - 15kg overhead outfit. Ugly Stik 6 ft 6 and Tekota 800 with good quality 50lb braid mostly out the Swains night and day. Anything I can't handle on that usually doesn't have scales and I don't want to know about it. 37kg ugly is massive overkill for bottom bouncing.

2 speed talica 10 on a Willo 20-60lb Phenix Hybrid spiral wrap with 55 Samarai braid, fish it for 14 hrs a day and it still feel light

2 speed is handy when those bl@@dy men in grey suits manage to find the hook and not the mono

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=phenix
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Torsa 16 spooled with 50 pound daiwa sw on a live fibre venom pe 3-8. Love it. Regards Tony.

I had an old mx-10 blank which was really nice to fish with but had my first fish with a parabolic rod (of Daintreeboy's) a couple months ago and I loved it, so easy on the body and super light, just feels a bit wierd at first. So next decent rod will definitely be a parabolic, he said they're probably not the best for dictating to coral trout etc, but for nannys etc of rubble they're lovely. I almost took it home with me but he was watching

Think he said the new black hole 150g blanks are out soon so I'll probably get one of those made up for me, crazy lite and will be a joy to fish with..

Terez 40-80lb rod with fin-nor marquesa loaded with 50lb braid. Not heavy at all and nice to fish with all day...

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Terez 40-80lb rod with fin-nor marquesa loaded with 50lb braid. Not heavy at all and nice to fish with all day...
    what did you win from greys?
    okuma sion 65 on a gary howard custom loaded at the moment with 50lb braid

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    what did you win from greys?
    okuma sion 65 on a gary howard custom loaded at the moment with 50lb braid
    All these awesome hooks, only problem is that they are all rusted and crap.......

Robbo for that depth and type of country you can go much lighter as there would be little chance of getting snagged.
    I have three bottom outfits, a 30, 50 and 80lb. The 8lb only comes out when there is rough country about with big fish that will snag me if it's not too bad I will use either the 50 to start and go to 80 if it turns out there is a snag or two down there.
    On the rubble I go even lighter and have a ball.
    To save money you could skip the really light one and get two outfits, an 80 and a 50. I only like the Parabolic rods for the real heavy stuff. For 50lb a medium action rod like a Tcurve 200 will be sweet.

Plastic reel, 80lb mono, couple bike tube finger stalls.

Cheers.

The good ol handline hey...

I have never tried lighter gear, always the shorty boat rods. I did try overhead, but found the braid buries into the spool when the hurt is on (50lb fins).

What do you think of monster mesh rods? Or i'm thinking the terez with the stradic fj 6000. The 37kg ugly stick was from a mate, but yeah a little on the overkill side I think.

I'd like to know what (Webby) was using in his vid clip, looks a nice light outfit. Will check out the tcurves also.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo76 View Post
    Another question... . What's your favourite bottom bashing outfit? I use an ugly stick 37kg with a banax 5500 (25kg drag) at night. I do find it a little stiff though. I am thinking of something with a little more flex with braid.

Maybe better hook ups with a flexy rod, Before going out and buying something else, i'll get some ideas of you guys first.

Rob
    Sounds like you're trying to pull the plug outta the ocean with that outfit!

No point having rediculous stopping power on rubble ground for nannys, I've pulled legal reds and nannys using a 3-6kg rod stradic 4000 and 20lb braid i usually use for barra! not saying this is what I usually use or recommend as they were unexpected catches on that gear.

I have a t-curve 200 jig spin stick with a stradic 8000 loaded with 40lb power-pro superslick 8, it's short and light with enough sensitivity in the tip but with heaps of power when loaded.....i love it!
    For that sort of fishing I personally don't see the point going any heavier.

Chris.

I'm only new to the Rod fishing for reds in the deep water, but I'm using a baitrunner 6500 running 50lb braid on a uglystick bluewater 24 kg.

So far I've caught some nice big mouth and emperor and I've been very happy with it.

It's not going to pull them up super quick but I just poke along slowly and it seems ok.

In the shallows to say 30 metres, I still use the trusty plastic real with 70-80lb schneider mono with a couple of finger guards.

Pazz