Thread: Mixing it up.

Blog Entries

Mixing it up.

Got out for a fish on Sunday with young Keegan (keegan013) to see if we could hunt a flatty or two down. I had warned him it was a bit slow up this way at the moment but the opportunity to get out on the boat was enough for him after being land-locked for a while.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5SR.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	95835
    We met at the ramp at 4:45 am and headed south to the jew hole. 1st hr, not a touch so we moved. 2nd hr not a touch so we moved. This seemed to go on for an eternity as we changed presentations and retrieve styles. Keegean score 1 under sized flatty in the whole time.

The tide was low early morning and we waited until the tide had turned and provided some water to a spot I like to fish. We motored into the spot on the leccy and there were a lot of bait fish and bream about. During the day I had tried all sorts of curl tail presentations which usually do the trick but I recalled last year at this time the 3 inch minnows seemed to do well. So on went a Gulp 3 inch minnow in Smelt and I was on shortly after. I pulled in 3 flatties and a bream one after the other until Keegan could resist no more and he tied one on too. Not long after and he brings in a nice 48cm flatty for the table. The Gulp seemed to do the trick with a couple more flatties being boated.

Name:	5fh.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	95833

Name:	5B.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	95834

Name:	5KFH.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	95836
    Not the most productive session I have had but a pleasant day on the water. Thanks Keegan for the company, we will do it again someday (now go out and buy some Gulp!!!)

Re: Mixing it up.

Gday funchy, we hit the water at Toorbul around 7.15, beautiful day but like you said it was slow, wife ended up with 3 legals bouncing prawns and I finished with a nice 55cm model, tide was perfect for my area but they just didn't show up like expected, when I used to fish the pin area I caught many bream but that was on 3 inch berkley minnows, I catch bream very rarely in the passage on plastics now, the atomic 3 inch prong in motor oil is my fav flathead plastic atm.

### Just while im posting has there ever been a request to dredge the channel around the last 2 greens before the yellow crossover when leaving donnybrook and heading to mission point?, I have a 4.15 metre tinny and always seem to hit bottom when sticking to the marked route so I don't know how the bigger boats manage and its not marked as shallow at low water.###

Blog Entries

Re: Mixing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Gday funchy, we hit the water at Toorbul around 7.15, beautiful day but like you said it was slow, wife ended up with 3 legals bouncing prawns and I finished with a nice 55cm model, tide was perfect for my area but they just didn't show up like expected, when I used to fish the pin area I caught many bream but that was on 3 inch berkley minnows, I catch bream very rarely in the passage on plastics now, the atomic 3 inch prong in motor oil is my fav flathead plastic atm.
    Yeah, it was a beautiful day on the water thats for sure. On the flatty side of things, give it another 4 weeks and they will fire up I reckon.