Thread: Whats under Australian salmon Schools

Whats under Australian salmon Schools

Heres a whodunit for you guys.
    We were having some fun with Australian Salmon offshore yesterday off Swansea and we stopped for a spin into a large school; the trolling line we had out sank in about 30m of water (rapala magnum). there was a good breeze blowing creating enough of a drift to impart some action on the bibbed lure albeit on the bottom.

Well it got smashed and we hooked something that was obviously not a Salmon, seemed much larger than the 2-4kg Salmon we were catching.

Heres my thaughts please your ideas would be appreciated......Kingfish are out wide this time of year, again wrong time of year for jew (although could be a stray), felt fishy rather than sharky and didn't bite us off. Needless to say we lost the fish and its been bugging me ever since......

Re: Whats under Australian salmon Schools

Either a king or a shark bud. They are still getting kings under the salmon in sydney harbour...

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    Either a king or a shark bud. They are still getting kings under the salmon in sydney harbour...
    Cheers mate sounds likely.

Assuming its Kings under Salmon, what's your thaughts on getting to them, thinking live bait??

i would say a king.. Ive had live salmon out under balloons so many times fishing for kings LBG but never had one taken.. But they use them in NZ all the time with huge success.. go figure. Ive also had heaps of my lbg mates say the same thing, but i do know of one marlin hooked on one off the stones.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Yeah mate have caught kings under them down around Wybung before. Just cast a bigger raider into them and let it sink then crank it back. Still get lots of salmon but have caught the odd king. Oh the joys of winter fishing in Newcastle. Bloody paddocks of the pesky things.

@ steencgull,

Swansea, been down there many years ago before Catherine Hill Bay became a marine park. Done my openwater down there. Was you near Moon Island at the time?

Cheers, Bondy

Yes not far, about a mile from Moon Island, actually stopped in at Moon on the way home for some Squid (just a little better eating than Salmon).

steenscgull

Cool, sort of miss that place. Caught a few crayfish down there but weary of that tiger shark that kept cruising. Decent size squid as in Tiger squid or those smaller version?

The old fella eats Salmon, has to bled and placed in ice slurry asap and remove the blood flesh, rest is ok. I had some myself. Back during the depression days it was tough. Fuel and bread was rationed and coupons were used back then according to the old fella. It as either eat or starve, no pick and choose back then as compared today .

Bondy

Any idea when is the best time for catching legal sized kingfish? I often catch them around March-April in Sydney, but they are usually undersized.

Maybe it was a salmon, and then got snatched by a seal. ;-)