Thread: jumpin mullet

jumpin mullet

been kayaking few rivers on the gold coast and seem to be mullet jumping fairly often what are some techniques to catch a big one. i even seen one about 40+cm just sittin in the water casually till he seen me and swam off

Re: jumpin mullet

Watch out mate. I only hear of mullet fisherman getting bagged around here.

Light hearted.
    Rob.

Stealth and a cast net is the easiest way

on kayak....

We used to do this many years ago. Don't see why it wouldnt still work!

A piece of thin hat elastic, sewn or tied firmly into a circle about the size of a golf ball.

To this piece of elastic, tie 2 or 3 pieces of light mono line about 90mm long. Tie a very small hook (like a blackfish hook) to the end of each piece of mono. Bait each hook with a piece of nice fluffy cotton wool...... Yes, stay with me!!! Not joking!!

Tie the piece of elastic to your line on a light spin rod. 6 or 8lb should be plenty, but go lighter if you like to be sporting.

Get a slice of bread, fold it into quarters, and use your fingers to open up the elastic loop and pop the piece of folded bread into it so that it grips it firmly but doesnt cut it in half.

Cast out. Berley a bit with some other pieces of bread broken into small bits. The mullet will come in and attack the burley, and soon they will see your piece of bread in the elastic and attack it.

Pretty soon, one of them will be fooled into taking the cotton wool on one of the hooks tied to your elastic because they rhink its a piece of bread, and you will be on!

Hang on because they go hard, and leap all over the place. The fight also spreads the remainder of the piece of bread around and keeps the rest of the school interested.

We used to have great fun with the big diamond scale mullet in the GC seaway using this technique. Pretty good chewing, too.

No doubt there are other ways to catch them but this was great fun.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

That brings back memories of when I was a kid doing exactly that off the bridges down the coast moonlighter. Except I used to make them with 2 circles of elastic to make a cage and just some white linen squares on the hooks. Ben

burley them with bread... if they go for it then you can throw in a small hook with a bit of bread and you should get a few.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I used the same technique as moonlighter except I used a bit of squashed bread moulded around the little hooks. A big sea mullet will give you a ton of fun on this rig
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

guess wat im doin tomorrow lol:-) thanks everyone just a quick question do i simply tie a hook to my line and tie elastic just about it with the bread ect or do i tie the hook to the elastic and elastic to my line just thinking the elastic might break thats all and fishy be gone lol
    cheers Nathan

I used to berley with a slice of bread then cast a small dry fly next to it, black ant flies worked very well for some weird reason. Any dry fly dunked in bleach will suffice once the fish are feeding on bread.
    Jack.

thanks i actully just learnt to fly fish im not that good to go from kayak just yet

I believe cooked spaghetti also works.
    When I was a kid mum would make a sticky dough for us which also worked well.

Nathan. tie multiple hooks to the elastic on short lengths of line and tie your mainline directly to the elastic. The elastic wont snap as it cushions the surges of the mullet because it's well.............elastic. Ben