Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demetic Chescold 3 way advice

Re: Demetic Chescold 3 way advice

Glad they got it sorted. Had mine runnning on gas for a week now, been pumping out block ice in freezer mode all to easy. Took it camping this weekend and urrrh....ummmmm..... left gas connection at home as well as 12volt plug. Lucky enough i had it all cold and left a block of ice in it and to my suprise it stayed pretty cold all weekend. . . .
    JN

Ha ha yeah can't say Ive done that but lucky you had the block in there! The boys at work have been giving me stick for weeks now - every time I mention "the fridge" I get the line from the BCF ad on telly - "you need ice?"

Cheers
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Funny stuff..........
    JN

Do you have to be careful with ventilation when using the gas on these ?? Say in a tent ??

Def mate,
    I had mine sitting on the back deck undercover and when i go out there i can smell the fumes coming off her. I wouldnt be too keen to have it in the tent. You would be getting drowsy from fumes and not beers and woldnt realise the difference.........
    JN

Yeah I would not use the fridge inside, if you make a little bit of a windbreak around the back to keep the wind away from the pilot light you should be fine.

Ours worked well for years.

Tips: Use a proper regulator - a BBQ type regulator will not do the job. The difference isn't much, 2.8kpa for the BBQ and 2.7kpa for the fridge, if my memory is correct, but what a difference it makes. Clean the flue regularly by twisting three or four pipe cleaners tightly bound inline - but only when the unit is in use on gas - never when the flame is out. Fair enough, you will burn hell out of the pipe cleaners but soot will not drop down into the burner. I suppose you could clean the flue if you turned the unit upside down. I tried cleaning the flue when the unit wasn't running on gas and clogged the burner. Every so often, turn the fridge upside down for a few hours - and, as advised by others, keep it level with a bullseye level. Check the bubble on a level floor then find a corresponding level surface on the top of the unit. Polyethylene warps all over the place but you should find a flat spot somewhere.

Don't worry about the clip on/off lid - they work very well and make cleaning much easier.

Good luck. Great present!
    Last edited by tigermullet; 22-09-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: 'Bullseye' was the word I was looking for.

I have owned one for decades already, your other half did well choosing it..they take a little understanding to get the most from them but they are the great easy going allrounder. I also own a 40l and a 60l engle so I swing both ways....we use the engle/s only for the trip there and home whenever possible.

I added the divider to mine years before it got adapted to have one commercially, ..keep in shade they do not have the punch of the compressors and one needs to take care opening all the time...a person is not at home with unlimited mains power constantly on tap, I cover the plastic portion with a blanket to get a couple extra degrees of cooling from it, on 12v one needs direct wiring from the vehicle battery to do well and without the alternator running it will drain the battery quickly (overnighting it in the back of the car is a no-no), 240 is just 240 and I think just as good as the gas...12v cooling is the poor cousin by about 1/3rd imo.

Seriously they are great..I get up to 2 weeks from a 4.?L gas bottle run flatout, they handle tropical conditions ok but keep all food one wants to freeze or keep frozen segregated enough that air can flow around them. If they are packed hard the centers will not freeze in proper hot conditions.

I have had it fail only once and that was in the middle of nowhere for 2 weeks or so and I was staggered at it..so had to rely on the engle instead for the entire trip for frozen foods, which meant all the extra drama of looking after battery's compared to a more or less set and forget experience...when home I pulled it apart and it was a blocked jet. Fiddly to fix but easy enough too.

Quick update, mine has been out for a couple of trips since the thermocouple was replaced and it has run like a swiss clock! Nothing like pulling a cold beer straight out of the fridge and then stepping straight onto the beach!

Cheers

Nice ay, I used mine this weekend on gas for the kids birthday party as a beer fridge for the adults..........The beer was teeth chattering cold and was only set half way on the thermostat and packed full of beer, opened and closed all day.....pretty happy so far.
    JN

Are they still made in Sweeden as the 3 ways were when Electrolux was the brand?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing