Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping with new Gazebo

Camping with new Gazebo

We don't think it's lawful to tow both the camper trailer we have and the boat at the same time so have been in the market for a tent for ages. If its camping somewhere without the boat, to me, it's just not camping, while our camper trailer is a comfortable gig all the same.

We bought the oztrail delux and are down on the goldy at the moment trying it out. Happy 30th wedding anniversary to my better half, just loving the present we bought ourselves.

Anyone else got one? Keen to see how it handles the rain which will be the true test ( I hate leaky tents) but loving it so far! Thanks with your help getting it bennykenny!

The dome tent attaches to any of the 4 sides and wifey is already talking about buying side bits and insect screens to add. Got a 10x12 tarp to cover our tent too, we are set !

Scalem
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Camping with new Gazebo

They are great,we got one with the sides as well,were you camped at,good weather hopefully.

Looks good Brian, ive been thinking about doing the same thing myself and have been worried about how it will handle the rain so im glad your trying it out first. i was thinking about getting 2, one hub for the kids and one for my wife and I, with 2 sides on it you have a big area inside with plenty of standing room. will be looking forward to your reports on how it goes.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    They are great,we got one with the sides as well,were you camped at,good weather hopefully.
    Broadwater tourist park, right next to vmr on loders creek. This was our view to the west after dinner last night and the view during the day. Fishing the 24's yesterday was like glass, but fish didn't play ball unfortunately.

Hi all

I have a gazebo. I use it a lot. It's done for a shower or two, but not so good in full rain.

The water gathers in the corners, and if it get to much, it will collapse the tarp inside the frame.

In saying that, I still use it a lot, and generally when it's raining, your under it and can tip the water out before its a problem.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    .....and generally when it's raining, your under it and can tip the water out before its a problem.

Thanks
    Rob
    Over the years I have had a few things destroyed by water pooling. Creates more weight, then pools more, then collapses.

Lost gal water tanks, gazebo frames etc.

If your asleep or out, and it pools it may well collapse. Generally not good.

Just saying as a input to the decision making.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

I have a 6m and a 3m gazebo that I use with a hub tent (looking at getting the oztrail inner tent for the 6m too - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZTRAIL-D...item4d0796acfe).

If it's the bcf hub tent you are using make sure you seam seal the bottom corners where the loop is attached AND around the edge down from the windows! Mine leaked like a seive there. And remember the hub has no fly so if it gets wet on the sides (where your tarp isn't covering) you will get a build up of condensation and will drip in if anything touches it from the inside.

If it pissing down you can always move the hub under the gazebo and use your tarp on the wet side.

I have no pooling issues with my gazebos but have bent one frame in a storm on fraser when we had tarps tied to the walls trying to fold it inside out.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Over the years I have had a few things destroyed by water pooling. Creates more weight, then pools more, then collapses.

Lost gal water tanks, gazebo frames etc.

If your asleep or out, and it pools it may well collapse. Generally not good.

Just saying as a input to the decision making.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')
    So strike another one up for why Ausfish is so good, it's sharing of knowledge like yours that helps other members out- like me who had no idea there would potentially be an issue with water pooling in corners. Check this out, if you see the photo it was being armed with knowledge before walking into camping plus at Harbour town. These have only been available for a few weeks and are called Marquee monkey. But uploading photo has placed the image on its side, imagine it pointing up

With your tarp on the back did you run it over 2 poles with a spreader bar in between??? or is it just rope?

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    With your tarp on the back did you run it over 2 poles with a spreader bar in between??? or is it just rope?
    Two poles, no spreaderbar but poles are half way along, then ends are straight to ground to act as a wind shield. If you don't know what I mean I'll get a photo later.

looks great Scalem. I was looking at a similar setup, but I am going up to the Cape next week and towing my boat, I wanted to be off the ground. Attached pics is what I went for. Should be nice and comfy with the foam queen mattress that is in the back....

then the next pic will hang off the awning above and tarp over the whole lot..

Should be able to survive for 2 weeks
    Last edited by predator; 20-08-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: pics

Anyone know what brand this style of hub tent is? Looks a bit bigger and more weather proof that the bcf version.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Hi
    We have 2 gazebos. We put the tent under one and the other in front for the table etc. Bought the side walls so we fit them to the back gazebo to keep any rain off the tent and have not had a problem yet. Was thinking of a tent extension that goes on the gazebo but the bcf ones are pretty light. Would like the one you have pictured. We have a large tarp that fits over both and use spreader pole in the middle and don't have a problem with water pooling either. Can you let me know where you got the tent piece.

Mrs H

We too have one of those gazebos..the HD type and they do have a flaw where the rain will pool...I think it's a mssive flaw too...like seriously desert is a big portion of the world but most people do not camp there.

One way around I found was the centre slider...force it up and lock it somewhow...I use a a pair of vice grips careful not to crush as that's not necessary...I am awaiting till I happen to have the gazebo up and the electric drill out to drill holes at different levels in the slider to push a big nail through..or something else like a screwdriver and be done with the pooling problem...it will never go away like in a true torrential downpour but compared to the option of doing nothing I have spent too many late nights in the middle of nowhere looking after poorly designed equipment in leu of sleep to ever want to do the same again.

All round nothing beats a 6m x 4m tarp all properly poled with springs on the peg lines but for an overnighter or two it's a lot of extra work.

We have the same set up with gazebo and hub tent , went through a big storm up at kauri creek, near tin can bay on the school holidays, didn't leak and was excellent. Darren