Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping with new Gazebo

Re: Camping with new Gazebo

I have the exact same gazebo as you Scalem and I'm very happy with it. Had heavy rain a few times and just a few drops appeared on a couple of seams. I have the top stretched quite tight so there's only the slightest amount of pooling and it just overflows itself before there's a weight issue. If anyone has damaged theirs I did notice you can buy replacement struts at some BCFs and also the camping store on the corner of Northty and Bowen Bridge Rd near the RBH.
    Cheers

Just aheads up for those using the bcf hub tent.. My top pole ends actually pushed threw the holding pockets in gusty winds so you may want to reinforce or use larger rubber end caps.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

If buying a gazebo I went for the Oztrail corporate 3m X 3m. Its about $50 more than the deluxe but a bit heavier in frame and materials. The peak is about 100mm higher so it greatly reduces pooling on the roof. Its white so it is also cooler. It matches perfectly with other oztrail products
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Anyone know what brand this style of hub tent is? Looks a bit bigger and more weather proof that the bcf version.
    Hi there, did you ever manage to source the make and model of the tent hub in the related picture?

Did you ever find out about the tent hub, very interested in it.

Nope...

But there are a few of the side tents for 4wd awnings that are similar but widest i've found is only 2.5m when I really wanted a 3m one to fit nicely on the gazebo -
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-CAMP-2-...item20f471d1bb

The 2.5 would velcro on the end of the gazebo and give some extra rain protection with the overhang on the sides but...

I ended up selling both dome tent and 4.5m cabin tent, and instead of buying a camper trailer (I already had a 7x4 off road with cage and top) I bought a Blackwolf 4.5m cabin with walls for the awning. Not cheap but 20min setup for a tent that is similar in layout to a camper trailer, similar in size, and no worries with water coming from any direction.

When I camp with the boys, nothing beats my 7x5m tarp with same sized one piece shade cloth floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Just aheads up for those using the bcf hub tent.. My top pole ends actually pushed threw the holding pockets in gusty winds so you may want to reinforce or use larger rubber end caps.
    A few uses later, this is exactly what has happened but not as a result of the wind, but the tight fit the poles are in relation to the canvas, its like the poles are about an inch too long where the little spikes have to fit into the end of the pole. So I will have to stitch the little pockets to prevent the poles spearing through. Not a very strong pocket material, or I might just have superhuman strength when fitting it all together, I don't know.

Scalem

I've done a huge amount of camping and wouldn't touch one of these. Tarp is a little more work but you get waaay more space and a quantum leap in water and wind proofing.

They are so convenient but I have seen at least 30+ gazebos collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    A few uses later, this is exactly what has happened but not as a result of the wind, but the tight fit the poles are in relation to the canvas, its like the poles are about an inch too long where the little spikes have to fit into the end of the pole. So I will have to stitch the little pockets to prevent the poles spearing through. Not a very strong pocket material, or I might just have superhuman strength when fitting it all together, I don't know.

Scalem
    Scalem, are you still happy with the set up, a couple of years on? From your first photo it appears the rain could run off the end of the gazebo, straight down the back of the tent, which I don't think has a fly? Or is the tarp sufficiently under the gazebo that any rain rains down the tarp?

Our setup from fraser in August. The only problem is rain running between the gazebos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    the tarp sufficiently under the gazebo that any rain rains down the tarp?
    Hi Bremic - this is correct. We had mild rain at Booroomba Deer Park a couple of months back, no issues if you zip tie ( don't forget a pack of medium zip ties!) the tarp rings to the frame of the Gazebo. Only a few droplets where the stitches are in the underside of the main Pergola. I am only disappointed in the pockets the poles go into at the top for the tent which again, zip ties secured the ends of the poles to the pockets which worked as a temporary fix. Apart from that all is good. We will however resort to our camper trailer for extended trips away, it won't leak even in a cyclone. Long story short, camper trailer is parked behind the boat so I have to move the boat to get to it. If its only the wife and I away over the weekend, we can squeeze all we need into the Pajero which is going to be easier and more economical travelling without pulling a trailer.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post

Our setup from fraser in August. The only problem is rain running between the gazebos.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/281784712475

or just chop up a $2 tarp and use some bulldog clips...

Picked up a marquee monkey and spoke to people who brought them into Aus, fair chance they wont bring any more in because of exchange rate etc.
    So if you after one best to try and get one that someone has in stock as we may never see them again.
    AB

Marquee monkeys are good but expensive for what they are, they have been around for a few years but only online from O/S. You can get similar results with a pool noodle arced up across the corner and jammed in between the cover and the side frame, You want these running 45 degrees across the about 450mm back from the corners. I don't have a photo to share but hopefully you get the idea. I have taken my pool noodles a step further and fixed Velcro around the end of them so that they grab the Velcro tabs inside the cover, probably not such a great idea if you want to attach side walls but we don't so it works for us.