Thread: Help ensure sustainable fisheries for future generations

Help ensure sustainable fisheries for future generations

From today, more than 13,000 Queensland households will be asked to provide information about their recreational fishing as part of a new survey aimed at improving the sustainability of Queensland's marine resources.

Building on the 2010 recreational fishing survey, this new survey will collect information on recreational fishing participation rates, where and how people fish, what they catch and the type of fishing experiences they want. The survey will collect information on a regional and statewide basis; it will not collect information on individual reefs or favourite fishing spots.

If you are contacted by our interviewers, please help out by participating in the questionnaire. To learn more about the survey, please visit the Fisheries Queensland website or call 13 25 23.

Re: Help ensure sustainable fisheries for future generations

Could you please advise the members of the questions you intend to ask ?

Further, if a person you call does not fish recreationally, does that count towards the 13,000 ?

I suppose the obvious question will be... Will the results, in their raw form, be available to the public ?

I think this is a great opportunity to get a real handle on the attributable expenditure that recreational fishing pumps into the Qld economy.

Good luck with this and I hope good data comes from it.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Could you please advise the members of the questions you intend to ask ?

Further, if a person you call does not fish recreationally, does that count towards the 13,000 ?

I suppose the obvious question will be... Will the results, in their raw form, be available to the public ?

I think this is a great opportunity to get a real handle on the attributable expenditure that recreational fishing pumps into the Qld economy.

Good luck with this and I hope good data comes from it.

Cheers Phill
    I think that should be the very 1st question asked Phil & if told NO, then END of survey.....I hope so anyways, or else, the survey would not be very realistic or accurate.

jus my 2cents....

cheers, Ray.

Tony

How will this information be used? Like most, I am becoming increasing concerned about being restricted and locked out of fishing, so am wondering that if we provide the required information, are we just supplying a nail for the coffin? It might be just me, but I have seen how things get used and manipulated by Government and their departments to get a desired result which isn't to the benefit of us.

Some comfort as to the intended end use and what the survey is trying to measure will decided my willingness to participate.

Steve

Hi Phill

Thanks for your questions.

This survey builds on the methods of the 2010 survey and is broken up into 3 related stages:

The first stage, which commenced yesterday, will see more than 13,000 households contacted (which at 2 people per house is about 26,000 people). This first stage will allow us to work out the recreational fishing participation rate and will invite recreational fishing households to participate in the second stage of the survey - the telephone-diary stage. Households are selected randomly and are spread all over Queensland so that we get a balanced statewide view and are able to provide regional participation rate estimates for 15 regions in Queensland. There are only a few questions in this first stage and they vary depending on whether the household is a recreational fishing household. Essentially, they are demographic questions (e.g. age, gender etc) and fishing frequency related (e.g. how many days did you fish last year?). Importantly, these questions are not used to estimate catch or effort - that comes from the second stage.

The second stage, the telephone-diary, lasts for 12 months and we expect it to start in November 2013 and finish October 2014. Fishing households from the first stage are invited to participate in the telephone-diary stage and it's their fishing information that's used to estimate the number of fish caught and the fishing effort. During the first stage of the 2010 survey, 90% of households that fished volunteered for the telephone-diary and confidentially contributed their fishing information to the data set. During 2010, 1,688 households completed the telephone diary survey. This year we anticipate close to 2,000 households will complete the survey. The questions asked in this stage are fishing event related: target species, fishing method, boat versus shore, water body (e.g. ocean, estuary, dam), fishing region, species caught, the number kept and released etc. The information we collect on the fishing region is coarse, it does not allow us to generate reliable estimates for individual creeks or reefs. It does allow us to generate estimates for larger regions such as Moreton Bay which is the intended scale of the estimates.

After the telephone-diary, the third and final stage will ask the participants a series of social and attitudinal recreational fishing related questions. In the 2010 survey these questions included questions about the reasons why the fishers had increased or decreased the amount of fishing they do. These questions will be asked in November or December 2014.

All of the data we collect is public data and available to the public, subject to protecting the privacy of those providing it. The reports will present the regional and statewide estimates and they will be available online. We will also have a "self-serve" information facility available as an online webpage where people will be able to "construct" their own data queries. The survey will collect lots of information, more than can be presented in a single report, so, as is the case with the 2010 statewide recreational fishing survey, the public and researchers are welcome to submit a data request for more specific information that the survey collected which has not been published.

Please find below the links to the Fisheries Queensland web pages that explain the 2013/14 Queensland Statewide and Regional Recreational Fishing Survey and some links to the reports presenting information from the 2010 Statewide Recreational Fishing Survey:
    Cheers,
    Fisheries Queensland

To Fisheries, Queensland.....I plan to open a new post on DEFINATIVE WINTER/SUMMER Whiting identification....

Would you please contribute...

Thanks, Ray.

What ? Give you more info so you know exactly where people are getting fish and or going fishing so they know exactly what area to shut down next.

Quote Originally Posted by sempre View Post
    What ? Give you more info so you know exactly where people are getting fish and or going fishing so they know exactly what area to shut down next.
    Thats exactly what they did when greenzones were first introduced, nothing but lies!

Thanks FQ.

Hope to see the results, once at hand.

Am I reading this correct that no information will be collected in regards to socio-economic data ?

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi Phill

The statewide and regional recreational fishing survey will collect social, attitudinal and economic information.

Collecting good catch and effort information is the primary aim of the survey because that information is vital for monitoring the species caught by recreational fishers. Experience has shown that by keeping the survey questions asked to a minimum, the better the information collected is. As such, the 12 month telephone-diary component will not be collecting detailed expenditure information.

The social, attitudinal and economically useful information will be collected in the final stage of the survey, after the telephone-diary stage is complete. A broad range of questions are asked and the "Social, attitudinal and motivational survey report on recreational fishing 2011" (
    http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/monitoring-our-fisheries/commercial-fisheries/species-specific-programs/monitoring-reporting) provides good examples of the types of questions that can be asked.

Cheers,
    Fisheries Queensland