Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flathead Classic - Kayaking

Flathead Classic - Kayaking

Hi all,

I have recently entered the flathead classic in the kayak division. I did this just for fun as I hope to meet similar like minded people who enjoy the challenge (and enjoyment) of kayak fishing for flathead.

Mind you my first 5 trips produced a number of flathead and ever since i paid my nomination my last 4 trips yielded 3 bream and thats it. Might have something to do with all the weed out in broadwater at moment

Since I got my fish finder I have noticed I am struggling to get a lure down past the 6 foot range, does anybody have advice on a lure that would do this (at kayak trolling speed) as if the wind is up my options are really only the canals and river.

My other options obviously would be to fish soft plastics in these areas, but I havent done alot of this for flathead anyway

If anybody is thinking about entering or even keen for afish in the broadwater/paradise point area just message me. Unfortunately I work mon to friday so my fishing days are the busy wekends

Any advice would be much appreciated

Blog Entries

Re: Flathead Classic - Kayaking

Dont be too worried about lack of flat ones right now. They are a bit quiet and that is to be expected around this time of year. Mid September they should begin to pick up and by the classic it will be firing. I have far more success on soft plastics from a Yak than trolling. I get the majority of my flattys in less than half a metre of water (last 2 good fish were 85cm and 81cm and water was 40cm deep). That is the advantage of the yak.

I am trying the classic for the first time this year (in a tinny). Good luck with it!!

Thanks Funchy

I have entered the classic a few years back (2 man boat team), it was very well run comp . Can I ask what type of plastic do you use, I have been using 10lb leader with 3/8 jighead and a gulp grub or atomic prong.

I have managed a 80cm plus girl whilst trolling crab a few months back, I so want to get a gopro for yak as it would have been nice to film it in 1 metre of crystal clear water . It was amazing

thanks again and good luck for comp

Blog Entries

Hey Surly,

Do a search for my posts and you should get a heap of info on tides, times, moon phase and placcies however in summary

6lb braid (Nanofil)
    8lb Flourocarbon leader
    Double uni knot
    6ft6in 2 - 5 kg rod
    1/8th oz dater jigheads
    Any 3inch curl tail grub in a natural colour (I find Gulp excellent) or 3 or 4 inch minnow in smelt

Get ya SP on the bottom.
    Ya cant fish too slow.
    Never strike too early. (You will feel a light tick through the braid. Count to 5 slowly then firmly raise your rod tip to strike (Not trying to rip its head off).

Good luck and now I want a cut of the prizes you win at the classic hahahhaaaaaaa

Thanks Funchy

I am really looking forward to classic, although nervous about trying to take a pic of a flathead on a brag mat as only position on kayak would be between the legs

I really appreciate your advice and wish you luck too

im in again this years aswell (6th year), a suggestion for the photography of the fish, ive made up a small tray that i use to photograph my flathead in my boat its a piece of ply with sides, a front on it and a handle like along thin drawer with out a back piece, might be eaiser to make up something like that for your kayak if you could store it ok.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

I follow much of Funchy's specs as well when chasing the lizards. I also have had good luck with using pink sp's as well.

I also like to mix the retrieve up a little too - i.e. start with the slow approach and if nothing, then go the 2 or 3 quick rod tip bounces in the same spot and then let the lure fall to the bottom for about 5 to 10 seconds before I go again. Lizards usually grab the lure on either the drop or when it's sitting on the bottom - you'll find that when you go to start the lure bounce again that there is something heavy on the line, and that's when the fish will start to move. I tend to keep the rod tip low when playing lizards because of their rough teeth wearing the leader - if you use a high rod tip playing the fish you'll wear through the leader quicker (I find).

Good luck Surly.

Cheers,

Pete

This is my PB yak caught lizard to date - 78cm caught at Kedron Brook Floodway
    Attachment 95862
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

atomic shiner 60 deep and a micro mullet from lively might work but don't quote me on it. I got a few and am itching to try them out in the local creek

curved measure.pngcurved 2.jpg
    Ive seen one of these and im going to make one. It a section of a 12in round PVC pipe with one of those stick on measures and the small stand it sits on can be made out of alloy or wood.
    Has to be better than having flatties sliding all over the shop while trying to take happy snaps.

Just to get you excited here is one i got on Friday, she went 85cm.
    IMG_2572 (777x1280).jpg

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Mate nice.....oh by the way keep an eye out for "Team Ausfish" at the flatty classic, that will be Funchy and myself...

no worries wayno will look foward to catching up.
    Im team Head Hunters.

Mate, that looks like a fair expanse of water your in there.......the pin??

As promised but just looking at Brendon's latest I don't think its head will fit in!!

001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg006.jpg

Well, there are currently only 4 or 5 Kayakers entered so far, so the odds of winning a prize (new kayak etc) are looking pretty good at present.