Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flathead Classic - Kayaking

Re: Flathead Classic - Kayaking

Another good lurk with plastics on flatties is a fine guage hook, you do not need heavy guage hooks for lizzards ever. The finer the hook, the easier it will penetrate.
    Jack.

thanks Pete, you been most helpful. I tried on the weekend but still so much snot weed around Crab it made it very difficult

definitely keep eye out for you, hope you boys do well

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    As promised but just looking at Brendon's latest I don't think its head will fit in!!

Attachment 95981Attachment 95980Attachment 95979Attachment 95978
    Hey wayno your going to have to scrap your measuring device, they are not using the usual stickers this year they are using a brag mat, thats going to make it alot harder, especially for the kayakers.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Brendon,
    I do remember at the launch of the classic that there was some talk of a 20th anniversary brag mat.. all good.

Hey Guys

Well just finished my first flathead classic from a kayak. Definitely tough fishing but thoroughly enjoyed it. I ended up winning the kayak division, i think i had 433 points in total. Best day fishing for me was around Crab island on day 1 when I managed 10 flathead with only i think 4 legals which gave me 224 points for the day. No real size but had a 50cm as my biggest. I was drifting quite fast but managed to pull 3 legals from the one hole, only problem was I would drift in the breeze for about 100 - 200 metres before i was ready to go again. I am sure there was a big girl in their but after the third fish I was struggling. I ended up drifting down towards wavebreak and tried a few spots for only one other small flathead so then did the paddle from front of Charis back to Hollywell (it took me over an hour into the wind and current to paddle home. In the kayak for 7 hours. Only bycatch was foul hooked whiting and a small tarwhine

Well the second day it was blowy, and cold. I decided to try launching at paradise point and fishing down towards turana street. There was even white caps , I found one hole that I fished where the wind and current was going against each other but at least it allowed me to cast a few times before drifting. I caught 4 flathead from this hole over a 2 hour period, including a 55 cm. total points 96 for the day. I gave up fishing at 11.30, i was knackered. In the kayak for 6 hours. By catch included a 40cm jew and 2 moses perch

Last day back around crab, took a while for the fish to come on chew, caught 8 flathead between 8am and 10.30 with only a 41cm and 43 cm being legal. Did have fun with a big long tom as well as a whiting, In the kayak for 5 hours.

I ended up using a mixture of 1/6- 1/4 jigheads depending on current. Nothing caught on trolling (between spots) except a bite off which assume was tailor as they were busting up. Had most success on turtle back worms would you believe, i thought they would be too big but they had a lot of movement and the flathead were quite aggressive with them. I had a lot of tails bitten off but persisted. The other successful lure was the atomic prong especially up the creek. I lost probably only 3 flathead by the the yak but no real size, did see a 60cm + follow the plastic to the yak.

I ended up deciding to hop out of the kayak on to the sand banks to take pictures of the flathead as it was sooo difficult trying to a do pictures on the yak with such a big brag matt

Thanks for your advice, hope you guys did well

well done mate i was thinking how tough it would have been for the kayakers in that wind, sounds like you did pretty well considering, congrats.
    my team ended up 40th, we just couldnt get any big ones on the board, our biggest fish went 59cm. Hardest year ive had by far in the last 6. But a very well run event and woldnt miss it.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Mate wasn't friday a shocker....we headed up the coomera to try and get out of the wind but so did maybe 30 others....we fished from the enterance, north arm, down to the Hwy bridge and we seen two fish all day..

overall we didnt do all that well but we were 2 virgins, so now we have that out of the way and we know alot more about the whole comp i cant wait till next year.

Me thinks the channel on the north side of crusoe is the place to be!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post

Me thinks the channel on the north side of crusoe is the place to be!!!!
    Wayno i fished that area quite a lot and let me tell you it was no honey hole. it was as tough there as ive seen it for a long time.
    but im sure it had nothing to do with the netters that were in the tipplers area a couple of weeks before hand

I heard the same for the broadwater, about the netters.

Ive seen a few pics of where Brenden Whyte got his croc and from what i can work out crusoe isl was the place??? have you heard anything??

ive seen and heard plenty, ill pm you though.

cheers....

thanks for comments guys, definitely hard fishing. I met the team that won it last year and they gave me a fair bit of advice. I was fishing around them on day one although they were trolling and I was using soft plastics. They didnt do as good this year but i was amazed how many fish they pulled amongst the weed

Hey Guys

Just thought I would let you know, Probably be my last flathead classic. Sort of gone from the high of feeling i did quite well to actually feeling that the kayak category was just a farce to the organisers of the competition. I did not know how many people participated, nor did i have any control over how few kayakers did enter. But I fished hard especially given the conditions and for what. No acknowledgement, apart from getting my photo taken with a stubby cooler. There has been plenty of posts but nothing about the kayak division. I know its only a competition but I paid the same amount of money as other competitors I thought I would have at least got the same level of respect as that paid to them.

Its not sour grapes guys the competition was run 2 months ago, no trophy no mention even on the numerous facebook posts. I do warn future kayakers about entering the competition which is a shame as the Flathead Classic was always a well run event.

Surly, i wouldnt take it to much to heart,i know alot of the guys and girls who run the comp are usually for a few months after it, quite burnt out as it takes alot to organise such an event. I know its a bit slack that they havent got the trophy to you yet.but im sure it more an oversight than any malice. As it was the first year that they have involved a Kayakers division im sure they would be open to any feed back. i know the fact about the large brag mat has been taken on board. its the first year that they have used a brag mat, and im sure it will be the last, i know even in the boat it was a pain.
    im gathering when they introduced the catagory that they were expecting alot more kayak entrants than they got, so they may either run it again for another year and see how it goes or just cut it completly. I will let the President of the club know about the trophy.
    cheers BK