Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

I'm headed out tomorrow chasing mackies.

Was Awsome out there today got a 9 and 20kg gold spot around 7 or 8 trout Spanish and jobbie. Day was mostly flat although on the full tide it was white capping where we were until the tide dropped out flattened right out. Some strong Currents today variable vis. Unfortunately I'm back at work Thursday so no more mid week trips for me back to weekend warrior status damn

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Looks pretty nice out there. If only I didn't have to WORK.
    yeah it was pretty nice.....(After a phone call from daintreeboy yesterday asking if i was keen - I made the executive decision that i was due a day off.....) slight change of plan saw us head out in my 4m tinny instead of DaintreeBoy's boat - but conditions were awesome so it didn't affect us too much.

Mackies were going off with floating pilchard's getting hit before we could get a line to the bottom.

Seemed to be lots of spotties around and a fair few missed hookups on the floaters as a result. Nailed three solid spaniards though and dropped a couple more. brought one nice spottie home and had another bisected by a monster spanish in plain view. We must have caught 20 small sharks each that seemed to be hanging with the spotties (they seemed to have no trouble missing the hooks....). Great day even if we only got one decent bottom fish for the day (it went 19kg - though not sure how accurate my scales are as it didn't look quite that big).Big Cod.jpg

Moffy.

Made my own mold. I've got 3 types of hooks as well that fit it. He was dropping them down in 75 metres this morn. im goin to make a 2.5 oz as well. just made them up in old sinker mold.

QUOTE=Nicko_Cairns;1501049]What mould are you using Odes? I've got a do-it jighead mould from 1.5-4oz, just haven't poured any yet but have been meaning to. What tails did he use, 7" berkelys?[/QUOTE]
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Here's one of Jords Nannys caught on jig and here is my one of my jigs.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...sd7d91918.jpeg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf9a8ded5.jpg
    Last edited by odes20; 20-08-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Pic added
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Thanks Odes.

Yeah it was nice last night!! managed some long nose emperor, spangles and a couple small mouth. All was great until i turned the ol merc over to come home and it decided to drop 4 cylinders, was only running on two. Left bank gone, top right no spark either...stator gone. Had to call my cuz to tow me in from green!

My brother went out the same day I went with Moffy. They got 12 trout, 5 Spanish, a Red Emperor, an 8 kilo Large mouth, a shark Mack, a spottie Mack, a couple of green and rosy jobfish and a partridge in a pear tree.

You bloke really know how to punish a poor barstard working in an office don't you.

Pazz

Here's one of the pinnacles I found off Innisfail the other night, some nice ground out there but not too many fish hanging around, just a few decent fish on that small bommie. Found a much bigger pinnacle but it was a ghost town.

Attachment 95762

pixelated shit on the left is as we came off the plane to mark that pinnacle.

We bagged out with 9 mackies in an hour 10 mins Wednesday off pixie

Interesting Nicko, if I saw that on my sounder I would maybe raise an eyebrow and more than likely move on.
    Totally due to my inexperience, I probably shouldn't overlook these spots that don't show any fish on screen.
    Cheers for a bit of insight.
    I'm always looking for the massive lumps that have a few fish symbols.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
    hey Mattya, it's probably a good idea to switch the symbols off. They're pretty unreliable

Not much happening at that spot above Matty, the bommie had a few fish on it and I think we caught a few from there. What's funny though is then we moved to rubble later in between two bommies, the sounder showed absolutely zero and we started getting fish. I think the rubble hid the fish. Later when they really came on the bite though we could see a fair few on the sounder. Anyway here's what we were fishing, you can't tell from the image but there's a bommie either side. (I've cropped some stuff off the chart or some people could figure out where I was).

Quote Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
    Interesting Nicko, if I saw that on my sounder I would maybe raise an eyebrow and more than likely move on.
    Totally due to my inexperience, I probably shouldn't overlook these spots that don't show any fish on screen.
    Cheers for a bit of insight.
    Attachment 95778