Thread: no-one fishing last few days moreton bay?

no-one fishing last few days moreton bay?

no reports in over the last few days, I thought I was the only slack fisherman

I am going out early to rouse area tomorrow to see if I can pick up a bag of whiting, solo trip

for those who didn't see it, police have new speed gun which will show knot speed and plan on blitzing the 6kt speed limit areas, plenty do speed in these areas

cheers

Robin

Re: no-one fishing last few days moreton bay?

not at all was gonna go today, but kids pull a sicky lol
    well if you do speed in 6kt zone your just dumb and asking to lose your boat =)

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post

for those who didn't see it, police have new speed gun which will show knot speed and plan on blitzing the 6kt speed limit areas, plenty do speed in these areas

cheers

Robin
    Love to know how that works when you are running at 6kts thru the water in a 3kt current.

If your gps says you are doing 6kts then you are doing 6kts. Like driving at 100k into a 20k headwind....still doing 100k.
    Using a paddle wheel sender is a different story but who uses them nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    If your gps says you are doing 6kts then you are doing 6kts. Like driving at 100k into a 20k headwind....still doing 100k.
    Using a paddle wheel sender is a different story but who uses them nowadays?
    Ahhhh no, its not the same at all. The road isnt moving, but the water is!

it is a good question: is a 6 knt speed limit a speed over the ground speed, or a speed on the water speed?

If the intent is to reduce wake, then it would logically be water speed.......

The trouble with a GPS (over the ground) speed limit could arise when travelling with the current, because it may become difficult to have enough water speed to maintain steerage and proper control over the boat.

Would be good to get an official answer to this question rather than speculation.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Might have to put it in reverse going with the current

Could you really loose you boat for speeding?

Contacted Maritime Safety Qld and the answer is ....

The 6 knots speed limit is "over the ground" speed ie GPS speed.

Thay acknowledged that this presents issues with boats heading in the same direction as current maintaining enough speed to manouver safely. And the main issue re speed is wakes......

But that is the law.

So in a river with a 4 knot current you could only be doing 2 knots water speed when travelling in the same direction as the current, and will be at the speed limit!!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Ahhhh no, its not the same at all. The road isnt moving, but the water is!

it is a good question: is a 6 knt speed limit a speed over the ground speed, or a speed on the water speed?

If the intent is to reduce wake, then it would logically be water speed.......

The trouble with a GPS (over the ground) speed limit could arise when travelling with the current, because it may become difficult to have enough water speed to maintain steerage and proper control over the boat.

Would be good to get an official answer to this question rather than speculation.
    I am not sure what you are trying to say Moonlighter? If my gps says I'm doing six kts then that is exactly what I am doing. Relative to the water then I might be doing 10kts or 2 kts but relative speed means nothing to the cops. Speed over the ground is the only speed that has any relevance to anything. I do agree the road analogy was just plain dumb.... Treadmill maybe. I think we are probably both talking about the same thing maybe.....
    if you were using a paddle wheel then life gets interesting because even at anchor it might show a speed due to the current ...

The bit that was offbeam in what you said was relating the car running into a headwind to a boat running in the water. But you realse that now, maybe not what you intended to say but there we go.....

No big deal.

It was interesting when i spoke to MSQ the first person I put the question to immediately said the 6 knots would obviously be water speed. But put me thru to an actual officer who said that state legislation makes all speed limits as GPS speed.

I got the impression he was not all that happy about that law.

We both had a laugh when i pointed out the obvious - that the main intention of water speed limits is to deal with boat wash. He agreed that is the main issue. And also he acknowledged that driving a boat downstream in a 6 knot zone would be very problematic with even a 3 knot current.

Using SOG obviously doesnt support the wake minimisation outcome that is desired. Sometimes, the lawmakers apply primciples like this without really understanding the consequences! Or maybe they just did it so that enforcement would be easy, using that new speed gun in knots!

Cheers

There are two factors here- damaging wake and dangerous speed. Wake is obvious but difficult to quantify. Speed is dangerous but a couple of knots is not significant. Lets hope that the enforcement officers can understand the conveyor belt effect and use some common sense when using the speed gun. At least the jetskis might slowdown when they see a copper with one!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it hard to identify where the go slow zone starts and stops, especially between Straddie and Moreton... I often find myself cutting a corner in the Rouse, or in a place I didn't intend going, usually at way over 6knots. I do have a chartplotter, but only a 4inch screen and struggle with looking down, keeping a safe watch of the surroundings and checking the depth. I wish my GPS had an audible green zone/go slow zone warning. Being a jetski fisho it is almost preferrable to travel in shallowish water, but remembering if it's 2metres or 5metres deep speed restricted zone, it's a bit of a nightmare...
    I'd imagine there won't be a warning before getting a ticket. I can see myself getting a bucket load of infringements without even knowing it. I wonder how boats that don't have electronic devices get by...
    anyway I seem to be one of the many waiting for a break in the constant windy weather to get out and have a fish...when it happens it'll be busy...maybe this week.

well to make it easy, no wash is around 3-6knots, if your making wash then.... beside from what i've told and seen, water police dont need to catch you anyway, long as a any1 can clear get picture and video of you making wash in in no wash or 6knot zone and submit it, your pretty much caught lol, remember it not water police or ppl been mean catching you speeding, but rather every damage cause by wash come out of our tax