Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

I'm hearing you, sounds very familiar. Anyway a mate has been using a manson for a couple of years, reckons it solved his anchoring woes and he hasn't lost it. Also pointed out that if you can anchor once instead of 5 bloody times you'll get a lot more fishing time (and have a happier crew). The other week we re-anchored 5 times and dragged across the mark every time. Each time getting good fish while over the mark then having to pull up after. Reckon if the anchor had held we would have cleaned up.

Anyway, haven't tried the new one yet and as you say it's a lot to lose. $250 anchor, $50 chain, shackles, swivel and $100 rope. That would bring on a frown pretty quick!

Yeh true. A lot of people use them tho. Like they guy from Wicked fishing uses it and they fish in some rocky country etc from looking at their videos. Not sue if I would use it on the reef, but out wide on the flat would be ok I'd think. You'd have to be unlucky, but we've lost our fair share of anchors in the last few years.

Pazz

Come on fellas' someone must have got out over Easter, so how about some reports. Just for the record I didn't.

TMC

Went to sudbury easter sunday got some nice trout and a mac. Saw a school of macs swim under the boat. After catching a feed as it was such a nice day decided to head to pellows looking for some deep spots for future reference.

071.jpgGot out easter Sunday for an overnighter. Pics tell all and so does the smile...... 11KG.

084.jpg

Pic's aren't showing Woody?

TMC

Just reading this through, would I be right to assume you would be buying a Manson Supreme? There is a few different ones they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    I'm hearing you, sounds very familiar. Anyway a mate has been using a manson for a couple of years, reckons it solved his anchoring woes and he hasn't lost it. Also pointed out that if you can anchor once instead of 5 bloody times you'll get a lot more fishing time (and have a happier crew). The other week we re-anchored 5 times and dragged across the mark every time. Each time getting good fish while over the mark then having to pull up after. Reckon if the anchor had held we would have cleaned up.

Anyway, haven't tried the new one yet and as you say it's a lot to lose. $250 anchor, $50 chain, shackles, swivel and $100 rope. That would bring on a frown pretty quick!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I've got a manson supreme and it is awesome. Use it on deep water and reef and no dramas getting it out. I do change the chain over when on the reef to a little lighter

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Just reading this through, would I be right to assume you would be buying a Manson Supreme? There is a few different ones they make.
    Yeah Manson Supreme. Tried it out a couple weeks back. Very impressed, wish I'd got one sooner. Was setting instantly first time every time fishing 70m sand and rubble. Was scared of losing it the first couple of times but didn't have any dramas getting it back.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ore-off-Cairns
    Check this log out we found off Cairns

Was out Wednesday on Reelcrayzee (top charter) but the fishing was very slow just before the wind came in. Hooked what had to have been a 10kg fish as I couldn't even make ground on it and it cut me off on the bottom after 5minutes of violent head shakes and screaming reel. Boat caught some good sized fish, I got a 50cm Rosie, big mouri seabream, big spangled and decent nanny. Lots of Rosie's around but not a trout to be found no matter how hard we searched. Sounder was lit up with fish but they just weren't that hungry which was dissapointing.
    Still had a cracking day but!

Can anyone tell me what the latest garmin Charlotter models are? The websites are doing my head in I can't tell the differences between the gps echo map 50s vs echcomap dv vs the gps map 451? I'm only looking for a chart lotter not a sounder?

Went out Friday night, well north of linden banks found a nice shoal bottom in 70m. I got 5 red emperor 4.3 after tax, a reef Jack, a LMN and a spangled. About 11pm everything turned off like a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Got 22 nice fish sth of Linden
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by odes20; 23-09-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Adding pics

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the latest garmin Charlotter models are? The websites are doing my head in I can't tell the differences between the gps echo map 50s vs echcomap dv vs the gps map 451? I'm only looking for a chart lotter not a sounder?
    Usually the S DENOTES A SOUNDER / PLOTTER