Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Hi guys, anyone know any spots for large sards around port Douglas? Happy to keep any spots quiet if you want to PM me. I just want to grab a dozen or so occasionally for livies. Thanks.

Normally plenty off the wharves mate - just ask Bunny - he got bricked by one on a bait jig there................

quick vid gents, 86.5cm nanny with a similar model in the kill tank (ala rubbish bin)

http://fishandboattube.com.au/media-...mouth-nannygai

Hi Guys

Since the birth of my second boy nearly 8 weeks ago I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of time off. In that time off I've done a serious amount of fishing out the reef, although not a hell of a lot catching. Managed a mixture of day fishing out the reef for good trout and big mouth and Spanish macks and two night trips in the last week. The first night trip was very disappointing, landing a mixed bag, but no reds or large mouth nannies. We were fishing in depths ranging from 30 metres out to 100 metres but the current was unreal. We managed some nice rosies, reef jacks, blue cattle dog cods, buffalo emperor and a few red throats and spangles.

My last trip out was on Monday night, I got a phone call from a mate at 3pm saying they needed an extra bloke to be there ready to go in an hour. So after arriving at 4pm and heading out the reef we went out wide off deeral. Some unreal country down that way with the sounder lighting up all the time in 73 metres of water.

Hooked up on some nice big mouth and red emperor. Was fortunate enough to land my biggest emperor to date of 76 cm and 9.5 kg. So I was pretty stoked. Also got another nice 60cm version. And landed a nice cattle dog cod. Was a good trip and only fished for about 3 hours before heading home with a good feed.

Couple of photos attached. red and cattle dog cod.jpgreds.jpgred 9.5kg.jpg

Cheers
    Pazz

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Good work, generally I've always found it tough at this time of the year, especially in northerlies. I haven't bothered recently even though I've had time off in the light winds. Maybe next week when the soueasters return

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Hi Guys

Since the birth of my second boy nearly 8 weeks ago I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of time off. In that time off I've done a serious amount of fishing out the reef, although not a hell of a lot catching. Managed a mixture of day fishing out the reef for good trout and big mouth and Spanish macks and two night trips in the last week. The first night trip was very disappointing, landing a mixed bag, but no reds or large mouth nannies. We were fishing in depths ranging from 30 metres out to 100 metres but the current was unreal. We managed some nice rosies, reef jacks, blue cattle dog cods, buffalo emperor and a few red throats and spangles.

My last trip out was on Monday night, I got a phone call from a mate at 3pm saying they needed an extra bloke to be there ready to go in an hour. So after arriving at 4pm and heading out the reef we went out wide off deeral. Some unreal country down that way with the sounder lighting up all the time in 73 metres of water.

Hooked up on some nice big mouth and red emperor. Was fortunate enough to land my biggest emperor to date of 76 cm and 9.5 kg. So I was pretty stoked. Also got another nice 60cm version. And landed a nice cattle dog cod. Was a good trip and only fished for about 3 hours before heading home with a good feed.

Couple of photos attached. red and cattle dog cod.jpgreds.jpgred 9.5kg.jpg

Cheers
    Pazz
    Hi Pazz!

Took my babe out on Thursday night and caught 7 nice large mouth, a big Robinsons sea perch, till midnight. Once again big sharks moved in on an acticve bite, and the next 7 literally we caught were all paid in tax. Im just over the sharks these days at night.

Slept from midnight till four thirty, picked up a few trout, missed a few macks, but a nice catch.
    Tell me, didnt the old fellas shoot these annoying sharks years ago with a 303 ? There are so many big whalers these days. Think ill look around for a sawn off. 😣
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hey Odes

That's no good regarding the sharks. I know how they can be, with our best trout spots literally stuffed now because of big whalers there eating everything. The sharks hammer us day and night around our old spots that we have just had to leave them and not fish them any more which is a real shame. We used to get a good feed off them regularly but now we can't land a trout in the boat.

We've actually started fishing some new ground but haven't been doing overly well. We've had to fish hard for them.

From talking to the old man, are you fishing pretty close to the reef at night or way out on the flats? Because he told me before that if you are near the reef at night then the sharks can sometimes come along behind the fish. I've found that a few times. But by all means I'm not expert at night fishing. I have more slow nights than good ones.

My uncle used to be a pro-trout fisherman, and he said that they used to hook up a trout with a few big hooks on it and use a buoy and drown them on a wire trace. Some of the spots we have fished I've seen 6 to 10 sharks swimming around that you can see, god knows how many more are down there. It would be nice to catch a few nice fish and then loose one or two, I can handle that. But we don't even get a fish in the boat anymore on some bommies.

The problem you have with them is they are so big and it is difficult to get them into the boat to do any damage. From talking to a few blokes that are into guns etc, they reckon a .22 would be heaps if you can get them into the boat. But jesus some of these sharks are 6-8 foot long and would probably weigh in 100-200kgs I would think. They are horses of things. Since the green zones have come in we have noticed a massive increase in shark numbers. I'm assuming because there is heaps more fish or there are less pro fisherman around killing them or something.

I know that I sure as hell wouldn't be hopping in the water with some of these big buggars swimming around.

Cheers

Pazz

Hi guys,

Dropped into Barron River tackle this arvo, it was a nice change from the often busy tackleworld and BCF, had a good chat with Nick (the owner I think?), it was relaxing not having any crowds and prices were reasonable too. I will keep supporting this little store when I can and dodge the busier stores.

Seriously I dont know how these smaller stores survive. Im pretty sure the bloke who owns it is called Uri.

Anyway yes they are helpful and as you say, good prices. Ive found good relations with a lot of the employees at BCF SMITHY, and Bransfords as well. I dont worry about how many people there are in a store. Im there to do my own shopping, and enjoying the chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Hi guys,

Dropped into Barron River tackle this arvo, it was a nice change from the often busy tackleworld and BCF, had a good chat with Nick (the owner I think?), it was relaxing not having any crowds and prices were reasonable too. I will keep supporting this little store when I can and dodge the busier stores.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hey Guys
    Dan here, just moved up to the Cairns area from Bowen and am living in Harbour Drive Trinity Park. I have a four metre tinny set up for lure flicking as well as a 5.5metre TABS for offshore work. If anyone on here is keen for a fish or to run wide two boats give me a yell.
    Cheers
    Dan

Nice one Dan. Reckon you'll have the place wired better than us long time locals in no time!!

Hey Guys

Has anyone been able to get a trip out the reef over the last few weeks in the beautiful weather?

We got out last Friday night out off Cairns. Dropped the boat in the water at 4pm and headed out to a few spots we have out wide. Hooked up around 5.30-6pm and in about 60 metres of water and started fishing. We got a few average fish but seemed to have found a school of small mouth which seemed very unusual in that depth. I never expected to pull them out of that depth in that area. Mixed in with them was a few spangles and rosies, but they small mouth really came on strong and after catching 20 or so we had enough of catching and releasing. We don’t eat small mouth so no point in keeping them but we could have easily got our bag limit. Whilst we were contemplating moving a sea jay centre console with 3 blokes drove right up to us within throwing distance. I’ve been fishing for 25 years out the reef and I have never seen people show so much disrespect. They persisted to circle around us obviously looking for the mark we had. The mark is next to nothing and without a good sounder you would never find it. We decided to pull the anchor and head out a little wider to try and get some big mouth. These fu*kers nearly ran over our anchor rope when we pulled the anchor. We got the spot light out and shined it right on them and gave them an almighty spray and for which they said nothing and eventually headed off in the direction of another boat. I really hate people like this. There are hundreds of marks in the ocean, spend a little bit of time and find your own.

We headed out to another mark wider out around the Euston light. The mark lit up with good shows in 75 metres. We attempted to hook up and dropped down and got some real quality big mouth in the 10-15 pound size. The boat didn’t hook up where we wanted so we had another few goes to hook up properly but each time the current/wind and everything else was different and couldn’t get right on the mark, but each time managed to catch a couple of big mouth, spangle and rosies. By about 11 pm the fish had shut down almost completely. And right on queue what I think was the same boat came heading in our direction. I know it is not safe, but we decided to turn our lights off and they managed to get the hint but were within 300-500 metres of us and headed off in another direction towards another boat. I cannot believe the nerve of some people. Not that we own the spots, and the likelihood of these jokes actually hooking up and catching the fish is another story all together. But really annoys you. We have spent considerable time looking etc for spots and these other idiots just come along and pull up next to you.

We had lines in the water until 3am with not even a bite so we decided to make a run for it on the ocean lake back to the ramp with a good feed of about 10 good quality big mouth and 10 or so other reefies. Was a beautiful night on the water, except for a few idiots but that seems to be the way of the world these days.

Cheers
    Pazz

Pretty common nowadays Pazz unfortunately. Bunny and I have had them come up to us with no lights on - we usually turn the lights off before a boat can get close as well but bit hard to do that if they have no lights and you can't see where they are. well out of the way and obviously only came over to "get the mark". Did a lap around us and buggered off. Agree no-one owns the marks but geez it'd be nice if they frickin well found their own...........

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I was heading to a mark once and saw another boat already on it. A small patch but big enough for a couple of boats. Anyway I got called every name under the sun. Even though I'd had the mark for some time the other guy thought I was pinging him. Another time I was headed to another small patch I know and found a boat already on it. I decided not to fish it as it is a bit small but did some slow sounding to see how much life was showing. I'm sure the other guy thought I was pinging him but it was nighttime so I couldn't see his arms and I wouldn't have heard him over the 2 stroke.

I know there are pingers out there but I'm reluctant to abuse people due to my own experiences. If you're fishing anywhere near a contour line you can guarantee someone else has been there before you.

Anyway yeah I've been out a couple times lately and done ok on the nannys and a couple of reds but I've had similar problems with the anchor. Been driving me crazy so I've stumped up for a manson supreme. Will see how that goes next time. Gunna hurt when I lose it!!

I agree, i have no doubts people have some of our marks but everyone the same? Anyway they weren't catching anything.

Yes scuttlebutt, we had been having trouble hooking up with the sand anchor so we upgraded to the plough and still no good. We found that once it started to bite in it would drag for a while in like an arch. So you'd hang either side of the mark so it was really annoying. I told the old fella to buy one of those manson supreme but he hesitated at the price. $300 for an anchor isn't cheap and if you hook the barstard up and and lose it eekkk!!!!

Let us know how it goes, because the plough was a waste of time.

Pazz