Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Spearing in the Torres Strait during shit vis one day and all I saw in the gloom was a big eye, about the size of a tennis ball, but couldn't make out anything else as the water was like brown coffee, it was eerie as shit and it was about time to finish diving anyway so I called it a day.

Hey nicko yer one of my best mates lives up there and he is spearing all the time he has told me some wild stories about the diving there, so many fish up there by the sounds of it he reckons its too easy and shallow diving compared to here. He was spearing large mouth in around 14m up there

Yeah mate, mainly speared trout, deepest spot was only 17m, got a good bag of mixed reefies most days, some good Jew and reef jacks and some guys got a lot of macks which is something I never speared (should have!) current was a shocker though, mostly dived the neaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    Hey nicko yer one of my best mates lives up there and he is spearing all the time he has told me some wild stories about the diving there, so many fish up there by the sounds of it he reckons its too easy and shallow diving compared to here. He was spearing large mouth in around 14m up there

Hi guys,

Quick trip out of Deeral on a big 7.2m boat after an invitation by Megafish - Ron (thanks mate). Four of us headed out around 3pm and needed to be back by midnight as the tide was dropping and the boat needs at least 1m to get it as the river can be tricky (turns out it was tricky, talk about that later).

First drop and Ron left us all standing there scratching our nuts, three red emporer, one really nice specimen. Two other guys, Dave and Shane got on the board and I was the only one left scratching.. Got a good fight and a nice fish came up, oh no, make that a chinaman...shit.

Shane then pulled a chinaman that must have been over 9kg, poor bugger. After a steady flow of fish I finally stumbled onto the scoreboard with a Rosy jobfish (well thank f*ck for that, finally).

A quick change of spots did the trick with some decent largies and spangles coming up, along with some undersize reds, mother in laws and the usual. Poor Dave couldn't win a trick and kept getting tangled despite having the same amount of lead on, and after his first fish he just couldn't catch a keeper, poor bastard. He sacrificed a heap of rigs to fish, the bottom and other people's lines and was having a shocker.

It seemed that every time Ron put his rod on the bottom, or into the rod holder a fish would jump on, he had a cracker fish smash him at one point and the little blackhole 200g rod buckled over something fierce, after a pretty long fight a bloody big goldspot came onboard, unfortunately it had a stuffed swimbladder so we kept it (I like eating them so don't mind). It was too heavy to lift after a night of fishing so Ron laid down next to it for a photo, big fish and good fun to watch it being fought. He'll cop a few jokes for a while though about cuddling fish....it's okay if you're the big spoon Ron.

Well we finished up around 11ish and headed back in from the reef, the river had fog as thick as a pea soup in places and it was tricky getting back without being able to see more than a few metres in front, fortunately a chart plotter was onboard and a spotlight helped a bit. It was bloody cold too. We ended up with a pretty good mixed haul.

Unfortunately Daintreeboy was away as he's pretty good at smashing (and calling) fish (or kissed on the dick by the fish fairy if you ask Ron)

Good trip, thanks.. nice to get out.

I bet it was bloody cold but bloody good fun from the sounds of that.
    Two of us up Daintree yesterday alllllll bloody day to not catch a legal fish & we had vests on most of the day it was cold in the wind.
    Threw a guzzillion lures trolled the mouth bla bla bla nothing even on the change of low tide....
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

thought id revive this thread, had a good dive session, the 3 largies went 7.4, 8.2 and 9.2kg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fish allround mate. Wonky's again?

Cheers mark, nar just diving on the wrecks for these ones

Anyone get out over the weekend?

We did a trip on Saturday. Paid shark tax on numerous occasions. Lost some real quality trout to some monster sharks. Moved out into the deep water chasing reds. Could see them on the sounder, but they weren't on the bit. Managed to hook 3 nice ones but they just wouldn't play the game. Just get a hit and then nothing. Then we went back up into the shallows and managed 10 trout before heading home.

Beautiful day, but a lot of fog early in the morning. Some morons driving around everywhere with no idea.

Pazz

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I got out Saturday chasing reds. Got about a dozen Largemouth, 3 reds, 3 trout a few spangles and Green Jobfish. We only got sharked on some monster Chinamen. Was a cracker of a day. Went trolling today trying for a marlin but only ended up with one average sized spaniard.

This was the best red from Saturday at 73cm

Where about were you. Sounds like a good result. We were out at linden and you dud better than us

Hi all see you at cairns state high school 5.00 Monday 8th sept. If you don"t go don"t whinch about the outcome!

Got some nice reds and nannys off Cairns on Monday. Cracking weather, also a nice Rusty Jobfish which was a first for me.

Cracker fish mate. Get him in real deep water?

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Cracker fish mate. Get him in real deep water?
    Wasn't super-deep. About 70 metres. They pull pretty hard..