Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Yer mate out at the reef

My brother went last weekend while I was away on the Saturday. They got 17 trout, not mackies, but lost just as many to sharks. He said they were in plague proportions out there.

Pazz

Anyone spent any time up Daintree river since Cyclone Ita...
    Just finished setting up & wiring my boat so time to hit the water & get the lures working.
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

Not to sure about the Daintree but I know it was standing room only around Snapper last weekend as the tinnie brigade was getting their fill of Grey and School macks.

Hi Clay,

Welcome to the forum mate, good to see another fisho from the tablelands.

I am thinking about moving up there to its bloody expensive down here on the flat lands.

Snapper might be the same this weekend too

Did a run last Saturday, left Mareeba about 5am, got to Trinity Park ramp about 6am. Head straight over to Fitzroy Island to start a trolling session. Only about 5 minutes into it and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, of goes a line. My son's mate grabs the rod and haul's it in, it turns out it's his first Spanish mack and it goes 105cm.
    For the next half hour it's just one after the other, even with a 3-way-hook-up at on stage which caused a bit of chaos on the boat for the next few minutes. So we have 7 spanish on board all going from 100cm to 120cm, being close to the bag limit we decide to head out a bit wider. by now the wind has started increasing and the seas becoming a little lumpy but on we push. We come to our first patch to run over a few times but nothing there, head north for about 5 minutes to the next spot where there is already 1 boat working the area so we start our run, again 5 mins in and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of she goes again, sons mate grabs the rod again and brings up to the boat another spanish about 125cm and he is stoked.
    By now its getting quite lumpy out there so we decide to shoot up the outside of Arlington and hope the waters are a little calmer on the inside of the reef. Whilst it was a little better it was still pretty windy and rough so we find some bommies where the boys jumped in the water with the spear guns to see if they can snag anything from below. After about half an hour they came back to the boat empty handed where we made the desicion to call it quits and make the lumpy slow trip back to the ramp.
    As it turns out my son's mate was throwing his guts up nearly the whole time and I never new until we got home and they told me....

It waz a doozie of a day by the sounds of that.... well done & the poor kid.

had a nice coastal dive today working in some filthy water of 1-3 m managed to spear some nice fingermark and a couple of fat large mouth that went 8.5 and 9kg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work mate!!

Thats very nice work right there

Good work. I'm curious, when diving in close and the murky water, have you ever come across a big lizard. I reckon that would be one of the most terrifying things.

Hey Paz nar mate never seen a croc underwater. In 3-4 m visibility you wouldn't even know if one is near you unless it came up to your face. You don't even see sharks often in dirty water even though I know they are around occasionally see a large tail in the gloom.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Nice work on the spear. Heard a story not that long ago about a guy spearing the northern beaches who got his speargun taken off him by a croc. He retired from spearfishing that day. I went out Saturday, spent a while trolling for spaniards (too long in retrospect) and only got one before trying the bottom. Did pretty well on Reds and Nannys considering we only had the lines down for about 3 hours. (trevally kept for fleshbait)

some awsome reds there mate well done, I got my large mouth diving in a wonky hole which was quite an eerie experience, the size of the gold spot living in the hole was huge the biggest ive ever seen by far. I kept my distance from him lol