Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Got out Weds arvo with the plan to fish on as an overnighter. We targeted deep isolated reefs in about 40 metres during the afternoon and caught 6 nice trout, a few spangled and assorted, and 2 really nice spaniards, about 7-8 kg each. Lost another. Went deeper and chased nannies but as Nicko said they were occasional and just sucking on it mostly. Got 3 and lost another 5 to sharks. So a bit disappointing really. Overall still a good catch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Got out yesterday, pretty poor session. Plenty of fish on the sounder but they just wouldn't come to the party. Got a few sharks.

Fair few spotty macks around and saw some spanish jump and saw them on the sounder but couldn't get a hit from them, couldn't win a trick basically..

Had a couple nannys slurping on the baits but decided not to eat them for whatever reason.. I just need to get back out there and have another crack at them soon, couldn't get many livies (one actually) and that got smacked straight away but no hookup, so have a new plan for the next session and can't wait to go.

Was in a mate's small boat otherwise would have hit the reef instead of the rubble as some mates have been getting good numbers of trout.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hi guys,
    anyone have the coords for this? I'd like to dive or snorkel it one day. Is there anything left? Quote from link:

Adonis. Ketch, 50 tons. Wrecked on Arlington Reef, east of Green Island, Queensland, April 1877. All saved.

http://oceans1.customer.netspace.net.au/qld-wrecks.html

If there is anything left of it I'd be keen to have a look..... I'd imagine if it was wrecked on the reef that there probably wouldn't be much left of it considering the time, but hey if you find it I'd be keen for look see.

Pazz

Maybe we should all start a kite-surfing group? This f'n wind...

Thinking of trading the boat for a snow mobile. Reckon I"d get as much use out of it as I do the boat. F#@en wind!

Its unusual but it eventually breaks, and your working when it does!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Have two RDOs saved up Odes, when it drops I'm gone!

I don't want to jinx anything but the wind is under 10kts fri/sat... I will continue to cross my fingers and hold my tongue on a funny angle until I check the wind again on Wednesday...

Yeah it's looking pretty likely at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    I don't want to jinx anything but the wind is under 10kts fri/sat... I will continue to cross my fingers and hold my tongue on a funny angle until I check the wind again on Wednesday...
    Hey Nicko,
    What site do you check as the BOM has the wind a fair bit stronger than 10kts for Friday and Saturday?
    I'm seriously hoping you are right and BOM have got it wrong.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Hey Nicko,
    What site do you check as the BOM has the wind a fair bit stronger than 10kts for Friday and Saturday?
    I'm seriously hoping you are right and BOM have got it wrong.

TMC
    Mate I have a general look on seabreeze then look at the bom marine wind page a few days out for more accurate info.

Went to check on my boat at yorkeys today, and found the council upgrading the boat ramp.
    So those who were thinking of using the ramp will have to use another until mid August.

Richard and I went out early yesterday from Port, the plan was to castnet some livies early and drop them on some wonkys, a couple of casts later and unfortunately Richard hooked a rock, we used the boat to get over the top of the rock but no joy, some ripping sounds later and his castnet needs some serious repairs, spewing! Anyone repair the centre rope style castnets in Cairns?

We headed out to a wonky, 2nm short and the low oil light came on, yes I'm a dick and forgot to check the oil (thought i filled it the trip before). So we got to the wonky and anchored up in darkness. We caught livies on site and had livies drifted out the back and often on the bottom for a few hours, Richard caught a Stonker gold spot at 99cm I think to christen his new rod n reel combo, really solid fish and a smaller model, but no reds. We caught a shit load of smallish sharks and some small spotty and school macks (one legal spotty).

well after the sun was up we figured we'd head back to port via another spot, it didn't take long for the oil buzzer to come on (good to know it works) so we decided to troll to save oil. So an xrap and another lure were sent out the back, later we swam a gar too.

wonky two was the same, fished fusiliers for sharks and small macks, no reds although they looked like they were there on the sounder, pretty frustrating. We tried livies, Mack flesh, butterflied fusiliers, squid, pillies, mullet.. Everything! About the only thing I realised is that sharks really like mullet fillets and those fillets were lucky to last 30 seconds.

we decided to troll back into port to save oil and try to find some oil locally (if we made it), so 90 minutes later we arrived with no hits on the gar or xrap, but I did find a new wonky and some nice rubble.

a quick dash to the shops and we were back in the game, we headed off to my favourite largie inshore spot and continued hosting a clinic on how to catch sharks. In the arvo the wind finally started to pick up and we called it a day, driving on the trailer was a heap of fun as the knob behind us was just sitting there after dropping off someone to grab his trailer, so I couldn't get much of a run up, how dense was that f*ckhead? A guy launched a new sea legend, easily 7m long and scraped it down the pontoon hahaha poor guy!

weather rant: if the BOM had predicted the wind that eventuated we could have gone anywhere yesterday, it was slightly lumpy in the morning then flattened out beautifully and didn't start getting lumpy again until around 3pm, we would have gone to the reef if we'd known it would stay down like that, bit BOM and seabreeze had it around 10kts picking up to 10-15.. It would have been 5-7 at most all day until 3pm...sigh.

We headed out yesterday beautiful conditions first trip in a long time. Spanish were thick we had our bag limit of 9 by 9:30 diving got 5 trout and a couple of assorted reefies and headed in early. Water was bloody cold compared to last time I was out

must have been offshore mate? no Spanish we could find inshore... not that we trolled known spanish hideouts but one spot we've got them before and there weren't any.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    We headed out yesterday beautiful conditions first trip in a long time. Spanish were thick we had our bag limit of 9 by 9:30 diving got 5 trout and a couple of assorted reefies and headed in early. Water was bloody cold compared to last time I was out