Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Yeah forum member Trevally showed me his sinkers in Brisvegas, think the smallest was 2KG, so one option it riobar wrapped in electrical tape (to avoid rust marks on the boat). 14/0 circle hooks from memory!

I could never get that far in my boat, or justify the expense of a $600+ electric reel just to try it once or twice. When I upgrade boats (in just under two years) I might have a crack at it..

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    You need a lot of lead to fish out there. I knew bloke that was a pro and he was catching big rosies in 120m. The sinker he was using was huge.

Can I use my electric Downrigger as a reel .
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

When I was doin it we used 1lb sinkers on a tyrnos 30 and a bent butt rod. Took 15 odd minutes to hit bottom in 600m. Very quick retrieve on those reels. We then upgraded to big electrics with 40kg drag and used window sash weights. 2-4LB.

Can anyone suggest someone to service reels in the Cairns area ?

cheers

Richard

Tackle World have seemed good i have only used them the once thus far. Herin Rods in Mossman is excellent
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

I've heard Bransfords are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Can anyone suggest someone to service reels in the Cairns area ?

cheers

Richard

I do all my own and for others as well. Full lube , replace bearings if necessary etc. Pm me if you want maybe it's something I can do for you certainly cost you less. QUOTE=Richard;1535620]Can anyone suggest someone to service reels in the Cairns area ?

cheers

Richard[/QUOTE]

Thanks Odes, I do all my own as well but was asking for a guy at work. He wasn't happy with the last place he took his reel too, thinks they seemed a little over priced. Got a few options now to tell him from previous posts, thanks everyone.

Last service I did on one of my Curado E7's, I also replaced the pinion and main gears too, amazing what a difference it made, it's almost back to new smoothness again!

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Mark 0488 786 743, services most of the reels in Cairns and Weipa

Hey! Whats happening off Cairns anyone? Im keen to get out but weather has been weird. Any thing? Must get a break soon

I did a charter in early March out with Blue Whaler for a bucks party. Was blowing a constant 20 knots most of the day which makes it difficult. Was very disappointed with the fishing but the boat and decky were good. It was the first time I've ever been on a charter and struggle to find the value in spending $250 on a trip like that. I know not everyone has a boat available to them so they have no other choice. But for me I doubt I will ever go on a charter again unless I have no opportunities to go out on someone else's boat. The boat's GPS looked like the milky way with marks everywhere but there was not records of what marks fished good. I'm not sure the skipper was the best as he didn't really seem to care too much if we were catching fish or not.

For the day the entire boat only got about 6-8 keepers being a couple of trout and the rest being spangles and grassies. I caught the only 2 trout for the boat. It may have been windy, but the areas we fished were pretty poor for the time of the year. We fished out around Jorgensen patches in no more than 30-40 metres at most. So in my opinion it was too deep for trout and not deep enough for reds at this time of the year. So was a bit of a waste really. I had a line in the water all day and at some marks I wouldn't even get a bite. So that is pretty frustrating.

Will sure make me appreciate going out on our own boat. The fish should be ready to bite their head off when the weather drops. Haven't had a chance to get at them for a while.

Pazz

Thanks Pazz, shame you had a shit trip mate. I think the smaller boats are much better from what I've heard but they're hard to get a group over 4 or so on due to their size.

A guy I know in Innisfail has been doing really well on trout when he can get out, bagged out in two drops one day.. so the fish are definitely hungry

Yeah, there is plenty of good fishing around innisfail. Less pressure I suspect makes a big difference as well. But always plenty of professional boats out there as well.

Anyone got out over the last few weeks? It's pretty sweet out there at the moment. I'm hoping it can hold until Friday. Not looking great though.

Got out yesterday, pretty poor session. Plenty of fish on the sounder but they just wouldn't come to the party. Got a few sharks.

Fair few spotty macks around and saw some spanish jump and saw them on the sounder but couldn't get a hit from them, couldn't win a trick basically..

Had a couple nannys slurping on the baits but decided not to eat them for whatever reason.. I just need to get back out there and have another crack at them soon, couldn't get many livies (one actually) and that got smacked straight away but no hookup, so have a new plan for the next session and can't wait to go.

Was in a mate's small boat otherwise would have hit the reef instead of the rubble as some mates have been getting good numbers of trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Anyone got out over the last few weeks? It's pretty sweet out there at the moment. I'm hoping it can hold until Friday. Not looking great though.