Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

nasty big high still blowin
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    nasty big high still blowin
    Looks like some relief post Xmas. Who's keen?

scott

Hi, im off out to the reef on monday, should be in the bottom end of Howie/ Arthurs Patches area. Blue and White Baysport with Blue canopy. Going to Frankland islands tomorrrow, take the Mrs snorkeling.
    See you there........Happy Christmas!!!!!!!!

I did 2 trips over the break. Went Friday off Innisfail and had a leisurely start at about 6.30 in the water with the father in law. We snagged 13 good sized trout with one stonker islander trout. Had 5 in the boat around 10 and then they went off a little. So we went up into the shallows in 10 metres of water and hooked up. I did a bit of sight fishing and seen a big trevally swimming and threw out me bait and he smashed it. After a good tussle he was released. That seemed to turn the trout on and we caught another 8 in pretty quick succession in the middle of the day.

I went again on Saturday off Cairns. It was madness at the ramp. We caught about 14 with 8 trout and the rest being reds and spangles. Lost a lot of trout to sharks again. I dropped a couple of nice reds so I wasn't the most impressed person.

Pazz

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    I did 2 trips over the break. Went Friday off Innisfail and had a leisurely start at about 6.30 in the water with the father in law. We snagged 13 good sized trout with one stonker islander trout. Had 5 in the boat around 10 and then they went off a little. So we went up into the shallows in 10 metres of water and hooked up. I did a bit of sight fishing and seen a big trevally swimming and threw out me bait and he smashed it. After a good tussle he was released. That seemed to turn the trout on and we caught another 8 in pretty quick succession in the middle of the day.

I went again on Saturday off Cairns. It was madness at the ramp. We caught about 14 with 8 trout and the rest being reds and spangles. Lost a lot of trout to sharks again. I dropped a couple of nice reds so I wasn't the most impressed person.

Pazz
    pazz where abouts outs you getting reds. I was out Sunday in 50-60m in the wide ground and got nothing went to the banks and it was dead too. Only managed a couple of stinker green job fish on top of the banks in 30m.

scott

Got a few fish yesterday out Nicholas and hope reef in 70m. Spangles, red x1, trout x2, green jobfishx2, chinaman and barracutta. Nothin trolling around.

scott

Hey scott If I told you were we have been getting the fish I'd be a dead man. But around pixie and Joganson we've been get them. Out in the flats etc.

Pazz

Went out 3 times last week taking fam and friends on 2 day trips which yielded 5 trout per trip plus a nice red about 6 kg one of the trips with an assortment of gold spot trevs as well. Did an attempted night trip up Batt on Fri night but was rough northerly and dead as so motored home at midnight. Northerly stayed up at 12 knts all night. 2 fish.

Happy to to wait till after some rain now to cool the water temp a little. Generally the bottom fishing is very hit and miss this time of year.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Did a couple dive trips recently first one got a nice mixed bag a couple of 4-5kg jacks a 7kg tuskie, dark tailed sea perch a few big eye sea bream and of course some nice trout. Went out on Sunday hoping to spear some fingermark water was filthy in close so had to scrap that idea went to reef and picked up 10 trout a jobbie and tuskie dirty water out on reef too

Anyone tried off the shelf 200mtrs plus bottom bouncing? I wonder whats down there.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER1 View Post
    Anyone tried off the shelf 200mtrs plus bottom bouncing? I wonder whats down there.
    If Its anything like bottom of nsw there wud be hapuka blue eye trevalla. Ling bar cod and ocean perch thats all in 400 to 700 tho. I pulled tiger flathead out of 150m right on top of the shelf as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER1 View Post
    It would be fun to try, biggest expense is the electric reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    It would be fun to try, biggest expense is the electric reel.
    We've caught reds and job fish in 150m off jenny Louise. Never seen a trevella.

Keen to to try though I hear they are great on the table.

scott

Looking at the Ooglies from the deep thread I think trevella would be deeper?

You need a lot of lead to fish out there. I knew bloke that was a pro and he was catching big rosies in 120m. The sinker he was using was huge.