Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreediver View Post
    local dive
    Was that red 55cm? He looks pretty border line.

Geez Paz you're brave. ! Id never hazard a guess on fish size of a pic. I showed a fisho a pic I took of four barra recently and he dead set thought they were 68-75 mm range. They were 59- 63
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Was that red 55cm? He looks pretty border line.
    Yer mate it was 62cm actually

I have no dramas that he is legal, I just struggle to judge/estimate the length of fish underwater. And with an emperor needing to 55cm, you'd have to have to be a good judge of size and have experience as Daintreediver has.

I've had another local spearo show me photos of fish (being trout and reds etc that they had got one day) and I said how do you tell if they are legal? The response was if I shoot it and its under it doesn't matter because it's dead anyway. I was pretty pissed off as some of the photos he showed me had a lot of fish that looked to be well and truly undersize, and he didn't really care for the size limit rules. And he told me that he was a regular spearo and those catches were common. So I was a little bit annoyed as it's tough enough to get a feed without blokes taking undersized ones and having no regard for the rules that the majority of us try to abide by.

Again, Daintreediver, I hope I didn't offend, but if I did, I didn't mean to and accept this as apology.

Pazz

Pazz In totally agree. I only dive on rare occasions and assessing the size would be quiten difficult I reckon.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Hey pazz no worries mate. Like odes says pics of fish can be very deceiving I usually just take crappy pics on the ground which prolly don't do the fish must justice, a lot of guys get all fancy and hold the fish right out n front of them make a small fish look big.

That spearo is a disgrace by the sounds of it I have seen quite a few cowboys around I've got no time for any of i I hope the fisheries get him.

As for judging fish size underwater it can be difficult I never bother with fish that are borderline anymore most of the size limits are too small anyway like 38cm trout is a tiny fish same as a 75cm mackerel. Red emperor however is a more respectable 55cm

Reds are not a very common catch for spearos though some guys are lucky enough to have marks in shallow water where they can get red emperor in winter unfortunately for me I don't have such marks so I have to work in the deep end to find them which is hard work this one came out of 30m.

Fished about 60k off Mourilyan on Thursday and had the worst day ever from the sharks, they were everywhere, shifted a good distance a heap of times and could not get away from them. We fish that area a lot and have had plenty of days that we never lose anything to sharks. They were really on the chew and some biggish ones 6-7feet. TMC

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Fished about 60k off Mourilyan on Thursday and had the worst day ever from the sharks, they were everywhere,
    I went out from Yorkeys that night. Fishing was a bit slow but we didn't have any probs with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Fished about 60k off Mourilyan on Thursday and had the worst day ever from the sharks, they were everywhere, shifted a good distance a heap of times and could not get away from them. We fish that area a lot and have had plenty of days that we never lose anything to sharks. They were really on the chew and some biggish ones 6-7feet. TMC
    Did you fish out wide around Wardle and that? Last time I fished out there they seemed pretty keen on the trout. Time of the year as well they can get bad. Couple of spots out here off Cairns we've fished for 20 odd years and only the last few years the sharks have been really bad.

Pazz

Bit of a late one but the weekend before Ron, Dave, Nikko and I chased a few Nanny's followed by Fingermark. Out wide was very quiet and we only had 5 fish before heading in to chase the Fingers. We didn't boat a squid which made it hard. There were Fingermark about and Dave and Nikko got a couple of respectable fish. Dave's went 73.5 cm. We got quite few good eating size Gold Spot cod and ended up with a Dozen fish altogether. Between Nikko's 62cm Fingermark and 103 cm Cobia he ended up with two PBs for the tip so it was a good nigh for him. Plus he was using a Stella so got to see what all the fuss was about!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Did you fish out wide around Wardle and that? Last time I fished out there they seemed pretty keen on the trout. Time of the year as well they can get bad. Couple of spots out here off Cairns we've fished for 20 odd years and only the last few years the sharks have been really bad.

Pazz
    Hey Pazz, we were out around Sharon Shoals

Some nice fingermark there bunny. I'm due for a fingermark dive soon I think. Old man was saying Mickey was up the hut with them the other weekend mick got some stonker largies apparently

He did mate. All quality but two real good ones. Erica's went just over 9 kilos cleaned and Dazza got one not far off that. All close in too. Have you ever dived a Wonky hole?

Holy! Awesome fish there fellas! I haven't had a chance to get out for a while as my dads not to well, hopefully il have a day out this weekend if all goes well. Haven't had much time off lately :/

Quote Originally Posted by Daintreeboy View Post
    He did mate. All quality but two real good ones. Erica's went just over 9 kilos cleaned and Dazza got one not far off that. All close in too. Have you ever dived a Wonky hole?
    Thats some beast nannies far out, ol dazza is great value ay he makes me laugh that fella. Nar I haven't dived any wonkys my good mate dove one once he said it was pretty eerie down there in the dirty water