Thread: Somerset Dam

Somerset Dam

Morning All,

After spending a few days at Leslie Dam , I seem to have refound my love of Freshwater fishing . As I live at Morayfield , the plan is to start hitting Somerset Dam . Having never been there I am asking for any pointers that people maybe kind enough to give . Such things as , best place to launch , availability of freshwater shrimps etc . Not after anyone's secret spot, just some general info .
    Thanks in advance for any info supplied .
    Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn 66; 17-08-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Bit more info.

Re: Somerset Dam

From where you live it would be best to launch at Kirkliegh (Somerset Holiday Park). It's free to launch there, access from 6am to 6pm. Shrimp can be caught any where around the dam after dark, which if fine if you're camping there but where you live it shouldn't be too hard to pump some saltwater yabbies the day before and bring them up. If you're using bait head up the lake and tie up to a tree, or find a school on you sounder and fish vertically to them. Over spring and summer it's a great time to troll so think about getting a couple of good trolling lures and give that a go. I'd recommend getting something that dives between 15 and 25 feet, maybe look at Smak, Voodoo, Kezza, Ridgeback, Boomarang, and Eddy's. Get a SIPS too.
    Good luck
    Mike D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    From where you live it would be best to launch at Kirkliegh (Somerset Holiday Park). It's free to launch there, access from 6am to 6pm. Shrimp can be caught any where around the dam after dark, which if fine if you're camping there but where you live it shouldn't be too hard to pump some saltwater yabbies the day before and bring them up. If you're using bait head up the lake and tie up to a tree, or find a school on you sounder and fish vertically to them. Over spring and summer it's a great time to troll so think about getting a couple of good trolling lures and give that a go. I'd recommend getting something that dives between 15 and 25 feet, maybe look at Smak, Voodoo, Kezza, Ridgeback, Boomarang, and Eddy's. Get a SIPS too.
    Good luck
    Mike D
    Thanks Mike ,
    Lots of good info there Mate .
    Yeah mate got the yearly SIPS and was happy to pay it .Mate , I have heard it said that you should boil the saltwater yabbies . Is that the case?.
    Again thanks for the info
    Shawn

Boiling yabbies? Never heard of that one before. If you can pump then the same day of the day before just take a few litres of salt water with you and change every now and then. Keeping the yabbies in wood shavings is good as well, even frozen yabbies are ok in a pinch. Shrimp can be caught in most local freshwater creeks too.

I think he means redclaws.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    I think he means redclaws.
    No mate , was talking to a couple of old timers a few years ago , and that is what they did .
    Thanks again for the info Mike,
    Shawn