Thread: Hand winches

Hand winches

Looking at getting one and I see there are 2 basic types being marketed. One looks like a come along with about 3m of cable and the other is like a proper winch with about 30m of cable.
    The shorter cable would mean multiple pulls if needing to move the vehicle more then 3m and needing a long cable or strap to reach a anchor point.
    Obviously there is a huge price difference has anybody used either type and what would I get away with for mainly beach and maybe a dirt road or track.
    Don't plan on doing any heavy duty 4wd stuff.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Re: Hand winches

Hello FishHunter,

What vehicle are planning on getting bogged?
    A Suzuki or an F100, big difference in winch power needed.
    If you are at risk of serious bogging, consider hiring a Tirfor for the weekend.
    I have a little toy winch for the Suzuki and it would be OK for minor boggings and getting stuck on a rock, but if I were going to the Cape I would want the most powerful winch that I could get.

Not planning on getting bogged but we have a triton and a challenger. Most risk would be on Bribie or Fraser and maybe a track in one of the state forests around Brisbane.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

If you've got two vehicles going then you can get away with a snatchy strap. For on the beach check out the maxxtrax. I've never needed to use a winch on the beach or in any of the 4x4 parks I've been to.

Another fan of maxx traxx they have saved me heaps of times!

Thanks for the advice but it would be nice if the question I asked was answered.
    Maybe I need to be clearer. The winch would be used in either a triton or a challenger they would never both be used in the same place at the same time hence the question about the winch.
    Snatch straps are a no brainer as are treds but I will never rely on a passer by for help. I also hope never to need a winch but shit happens and the tide waits for no man.

Once again thanks for the advice given

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4

One is a winch upon which you can rely in your time of need; the other you wouldn't use to pull a choko vine off a shithouse wall.
    Seriously, if your car is stuck such that you cannot drive it out, you are going to be dealing with lethal force. Using a hand winch puts you in the firing line of that lethal force - don't muck around. Have a look on ebay - there's plenty of second hand black rat/tirfor/mean green/sca/brahno etc PROPER hand winches which go cheap. You can't kill them, but if you and your mate are strong enough, the two of you might just have enough strength to bust a shear pin (I've never busted one and mine's done some decent recovery work) so it's probably worthwhile learning how they work as well. If nothing else, relying on a hand winch will make you learn to take the right line first time because there's pain involved every time you drag one out.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

iv got a cheapo lil one from super heap, when its double over it has about 3m of retrieve. Although it is cheap it has saved me atleast 3 times, but not without problems and never on a beach. Once the tension is out of the tree strap and extensions straps etc it only has 1.5m or working force max. hope that helps! u get what u pay for...

Thanks for the advice.
    Maxxtrax = Tredz haven't done a comparison between the 2 so don't know if there is a big difference in usefulness.

I have a Tirfir I would be interested in selling if anyone is interested, just PM me
    cheers Jimmy

GBC said it best, if you can , buy the tirfor off capt, there a great hand winch,
    the T516 would be the model best suited for 4wd recoveries, ( they make a smaller and a larger one) I have one and have used it a few times, and glad I had it ! !! !

there have been a couple of times all I needed was a come a long type or a couple of large blokes to push " safer"

bit of work to use but at the same time it can be transferred to any car and not have to add weight to your car all year, and can pull from any angle ! ! they are heavy . .

if your really stuck you can use a snatch block to double the pull but best to buy a separate cable as the hand winch cables aren't meant to do such a tight radius,

the cable comes with this wire cage, ditch that and pic up a barrow tyre or a 2nd hand tyre from a scooter ( free from a bike shop) and fit it into that, Cheers