Thread: Rod for Stella 18000SW

Rod for Stella 18000SW

G'day all, new member, first post.
    My wife (yep, I'm serious) has just bought me a Stella 18000 for a significant wedding anniversary. Looking for suggestions on what to put it on. I do a Swains trip in May every year and generally fish 10-15kg six and a half foot rods with overheads for bottom bashing. Looking at a suitable rod for the Stella for trolling between drift spots and maybe throwing out unweighted pillies on gangs for spanish and the like. Would 15-24kg be suitable and what make and length would be suitable?

Re: Rod for Stella 18000SW

Hey Sladey,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I guess the first question is how many $$$ you want to spend. There are many suitable rods but i reckon 24kg is huge overkill for clean fighters like spaniards. If you wanted to also do some popping in rough country, 24kg would be about the minimum. Let us know what your budget is as a starting point.

Cheers, Mike

I have got mine matched up with a Shimano OCEA Switch Bait 50 Spin 651 and 50lb Braid. I am happy with it so far. Recommended retail for the OCEA is approx. $500 but I bought mine quite a bit cheaper on a discount weekend. The best way is to work out what line class your going to use, what is your budget, then shop around. This is what I did when I bought mine and am happy with the outcome. Don't rush, ask in tackle shops for recommendations but ultimately it is what you believe would be the best rod for the type of fishing you are going to use it for. Hope this helps and enjoy your new setup.

Jeff.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

Further to what Jeff said, once you have decided your budget etc, make sure you take the reel with you into the shops so you can really see how the different combinations feel.....no point having something recommended if it isnt comfortable for you.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for the replies guys. Budget is up to $500. Don't mind paying for a quality rod to go with a quality reel. Good tip about taking the reel with me Mike. Makes sense but I wouldn't have thought to do it. I also go up to Eden as well every year chasing tuna and kingis. Maybe I'll look at a second spool with 80lb. What length is your OCEA Jeff?
    Cheers
    Sladey

I matched my Stella 20000 to a Gary Howard rod ... http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop...t_detail&p=715 . Great mackerel rod. I have two of them and they have done the job on many a large spaniard up this way.

Trying the Stella with a 7 foot Wilson live fibre RLF19S 15 - 24kg to kick off. Local tackle shop changing hands so lots of specials going on. Loading the Stella up with Tufline 65lb. Should be a good compromise for Eden and Swains.
    Cheers all
    Sladey

Sladey, Hope you enjoy the Wilson Live Fibre. Had a look at it when I was doing my search. Just for your information the Ocea Switchbait 50 spin is 1.96m long. Enjoy.

Jeff.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.