Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claws out to stop illegal crabbing

Claws out to stop illegal crabbing

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

15 August 2013
    Claws out to stop illegal crabbing

Queensland recreational crabbers are being warned to crab responsibly and to show respect for fellow crabbers after a spate of unlawful crabbing practices.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer Lyndon Peddell said crab pot interference and other illegal crabbing practices were major compliance issues for the patrol.

“There has been an increase in the number of complaints involving people allegedly removing crabs from pots.

“It’s obvious that some fishers are just not getting the message,” he said.

“Interfering with crabbing apparatus that are not your own is a serious offence and you will be caught.

“Anyone caught unlawfully interfering with crab apparatus will face an on-the-spot fine of $1100 or maximum penalties up to $55,000. That’s a lot more expensive than the cost of buying a crab from your local seafood store.

“Stealing crabs or crab pots is a criminal offence, so those caught will also be referred to the police for investigation,” he said.

Mr Peddell said people should be aware of all current crabbing rules including size and possession limits as well as crab pot regulations before hitting the water.

“There are different size and possession limits as well as measuring methods for the various crab species.”

BREAKOUT BOX

Crab size and possession limits

Mud crab
    15cm min s
    ize limit - possession limit of 10

Blue swimmer or sand crab
    11.5cm min size limit - no possession limit

Spanner or frog crab
    10cm min size limit - possession limit of 20

END BREAKOUT BOX

“Female mud and blue swimmer crabs are no-take species and should be returned to the water immediately.

“It is also illegal to possess crabs with the carapace missing and crab meat while at sea unless it is for immediate consumption.

“No more than four crab pots or dillies, or a combination of both, are permitted to be used by a person at any time. They need to be clearly marked with the owner’s name and address and if using a float, it must also have the owner’s name on it.

“Also, ensure pots have enough rope attached to the float so they are not lost in strong tidal currents,” he said.

Mr Peddell said fisheries regulations were aimed at sustaining Queensland’s valuable fisheries resources.

“Rules are in place to protect and conserve crab stocks. By following the rules these valuable fisheries resources will be around for current and future generations of Queenslanders,” he said.

“QBFP rely on the support of the public to help protect our fishing resources. People who suspect illegal crabbing are urged to do the right thing and report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.”

For more information on responsible crabbing, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Re: Claws out to stop illegal crabbing

maybe you blokes should get on the water and police this more,i contacted you in regards this problem earlier in the year and was told that patrols where going to police it in the area where it was rampant the following weekend..i sat out to see if you did make a show on the water,surprise surprise in the both days I was out on the water that weekend I didn't spot any of your boats patrolling out there.. you blokes want us to report it to you but why bother when you cannot even follow any info up when givin on this issue on the water .will I see a fisheries boat on the water in a months time when the crabs will start again I doubt it as I havnt seen a patrol boat out there in the past 4 years...
    cheers rosco

I'm almost ready to get some trail cams to keep an eye on my pots.

I've also had to move other people's pots to deeper water as the crabs didn't look to happy in the sun at low tide.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Well Fisheries you don"t have the Staff to "Nail These A Holes" so why bother (CHEERS CAMPBELL Can"t Do). Last Year i had 5 Stolen 3 Slashed late one night. You Know Donnybrook and Toorbul is Rampant for this type of Activity, and yet i have never seen Fisheries out there. But Thats OK i went and bought a High Powered Sling Shot Last Year i"m sure that will solve the problem..Oh and what about all the Undersized Fish which are taken by Anglers in the above locations.

Hard to catch them sitting in your office. Pots go missing every hour in the Bribie passage nothing gets done about it even when you know who is doing it and report them????

It would be interesting to hear from the Fisheries side . Not towing the corporate line and hearing it from the workers as they see it.
    I also get really pissed off when my pots stolen or tampered with.

I'm defending anyone here but how are the fisheries supposed to police it? Do you think that someone is going to check someone else's pot when a fisheries boat is on the other side of the passage? Are they supposed to go undercover? Are they supposed to put some kind of tracker on the pots? It might sound stupid but I reckon most pots are checked/flogged when there is no one else anywhere near them. A fisheries presence might deter them on that day but I really can't see anyone getting caught for it. I'm sure they would be grateful on ideas on how to police it as well.

I fish the donnybrook Toorbul area every week weather permitting but I dont crab, ive never been checked by fisheries either, one thing I will say is that the passage gets flogged by far too many crab pots, some days fishing some areas or navigating is a disaster because of the numbers of crab pots, 3 guys in a little tinny can put out 12 pots, far too many imho..

Quote Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
    I'm almost ready to get some trail cams to keep an eye on my pots.

I've also had to move other people's pots to deeper water as the crabs didn't look to happy in the sun at low tide.
    Moving other people's pots....too bad if they are landbased crabbers. Not a good idea to interfere with someone else's stuff.

Read the rules regarding pot placement & tides...
    Not a chance in hell that they are land based, mangroves are far to thick and crocs would have you.
    And I don't untie them, just move them.

I'd be more than happy to explain the rules to anyone doing the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
    Read the rules regarding pot placement & tides...
    Not a chance in hell that they are land based, mangroves are far to thick and crocs would have you.
    And I don't untie them, just move them.

I'd be more than happy to explain the rules to anyone doing the wrong thing.

No worries mate.

I would actually like to know about the rules regarding pot placement as I was not aware of any.

And also the rules about tides you mentioned.

Thanks

As far I know your pots should remain in the water not high and dry in the hot sun.

Pots must remain submerged at low tide.
    It is also illegal to touch/move another persons fishing apparatus even if the other persons gear is set incorrectly.

To be fair, I have seen the fisheries in the donnybrook and Toorbul area quite a few times in a 2 men RIB, they can't be at all places at all times. Some of those place requires local knowledge to navigate at the best of times.
    Yes, a lot of pot tampering and stealing goes on around that neck of the wood, you just have to vigilant when setting pots. Use the tide restriction to limit access to thieves so you can be there before they can get in the next morning.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Wow I have gleaned some new ideas from the above mentioned comments. I went to put a crab pot down near Russell Island the other day but every 50m and beyond down to the power lines there was a pro pot. Those pots are there every day 24 hrs a day. What chance has a crab got or what chance has a rec fisher got to catch a crab these days? All this thieving of pots might not occur if crabs were easier to catch. Down in NSW they are using their rego fees to buy out commercial fishers. Everywhere this is done the fishoes say that there is a huge increase in fish and crabs! Back when most Pro fishers and crabbers were granted licences there was a small market for them but now that the population has exploded 4 fold they are raping our fishing grounds to meet the demand. At the present catch rates 4 pots per boat might suffice to keep our populations up. But with a leaky boat you first have to block the leak to save the boat. It is time that we too start to buy out our pro fisherman. The recreational fishing industry has exploded. We have catch limits and promote catch and release as well. We now have Green Zones and Bad winds to protect our breeding fish but it is not enough. We will have to at some time follow NSW in buying out the previously granted licences. I know this will set the cat amongst the pigeons but is something that cannot be avoided forever. I feel up to a point for the pro,s but times have changed. We are not back in the 1940's. We need to do this before our children think that we are telling them stories about what Moreton Bay used to be like.