Thread: 22nd August 1770 trip

22nd August 1770 trip

Gday Guys and Gals,
    A bunch of us are heading up next weekend to have a crack at the reefs off from 1770.
    Leaving Thursday arvo with plans to cross the bar at first light Friday and spend Friday and Saturday nights out on the reef.
    We have a few boats going so should be a good trip.
    Hope the weather gods play the game for us.
    Will most likely end up on channel 21 if anyone wants to put a call out.
    Why Knot is the name of my boat.
    Yell out and say gday if your out and about.

Also being my first real fishing trip there, open to any suggestions or hints and tips.

Cheers Dale
    "On Site"
    5.6m Quintrex Legend Centre Console

Re: 22nd August 1770 trip

Just for info mate VMR monitor 81 and 82 up here.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Hey Oz
    We have just returned from 1770 last week. Tried the reefs in and around Fitzroy but didnt do much good; wasnt till we went deeper on the ocean side that we could land anything good. Did ok (around 40 fish) I suppose but found the lagoon great for a snorkel in the arvo but was not too sheltered, whereas we found around Musgrave better protected, and an all round better anchorage. It was off here too that we managed to land some decent sized fish (around 50 or so; and I think a good result considering it wasnt for all that long-we are not too hard core), and we didnt do an overnight fish like many do up there. 60 metres pulled up all the usual fish but the better fishing was in the 90-100 metre depth. Wind came up on our last day but when we fished the 120+meter depth there were lots of even better fish there. Remember to bring lots of fuel. And musgrave was closer in distance to 1770 than Fitzroy.
    the bait and tackle guy at Agnes advised us to fish with 8/0-10/0's) but we did very well on 4's and 5's. I found the tarpon 5's with 80lb mono trace could handle the bigger fish without any bending. even a simple patanosta worked just as well or if not better than the running ball sinkers that everyone was recommending.
    Would recommend purchasing some flys from PE tackle. Our boat didnt have any but the other boat that we went with did and in the more shallower water they produced some better fish that what we did.
    They even worked really good in the deeper water.Attachment 95546Attachment 95545
    David

Don't forget that Tony at the Agnes Bait and Tackle also makes Saltwater Flys. The 15kg green Jobfish in my avatar fell to one of them. Plenty of ground out there but the trick is to try and find areas not hit too often
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Don't forget that Tony at the Agnes Bait and Tackle also makes Saltwater Flys. The 15kg green Jobfish in my avatar fell to one of them. Plenty of ground out there but the trick is to try and find areas not hit too often
    He is a little short on them right now as the weather has been good. He said the other day he needed to make some more.

Thanks for all the info lads....
    Keen as to get a few.
    Everything crossed for good weather.
    Cheers Dale
    "On Site"
    5.6m Quintrex Legend Centre Console

Quote Originally Posted by OZ 640 View Post
    Gday Guys and Gals,
    A bunch of us are heading up next weekend to have a crack at the reefs off from 1770.
    Leaving Thursday arvo with plans to cross the bar at first light Friday and spend Friday and Saturday nights out on the reef.
    We have a few boats going so should be a good trip.
    Hope the weather gods play the game for us.
    Will most likely end up on channel 21 if anyone wants to put a call out.
    Why Knot is the name of my boat.
    Yell out and say gday if your out and about.

Also being my first real fishing trip there, open to any suggestions or hints and tips.

Cheers Dale
    Hi Dale - Weathers looking okay, thinking I might get up there Friday arvo, ill give you a try on 21. Boat name Grim Reefer. I'm guessing you will be around Fitzroy somewhere?

Who else will be heading out this weekend?
    Ozynorts - How's the Carpark space at the ramp looking, bloody full I bet! You should start renting out your yard, how about a Valet parking service for Ausfish members?

Don.

Actually yesterday it was virtually empty. If I had the space I would mate but only a small rental block. As for the Valet service, well I have been known to answer calls from stranded ausfishers at the ramp.....

Quote Originally Posted by wetryin View Post
    Hey Oz
    We have just returned from 1770 last week. Tried the reefs in and around Fitzroy but didnt do much good; wasnt till we went deeper on the ocean side that we could land anything good. Did ok (around 40 fish) I suppose but found the lagoon great for a snorkel in the arvo but was not too sheltered, whereas we found around Musgrave better protected, and an all round better anchorage. It was off here too that we managed to land some decent sized fish (around 50 or so; and I think a good result considering it wasnt for all that long-we are not too hard core), and we didnt do an overnight fish like many do up there. 60 metres pulled up all the usual fish but the better fishing was in the 90-100 metre depth. Wind came up on our last day but when we fished the 120+meter depth there were lots of even better fish there. Remember to bring lots of fuel. And musgrave was closer in distance to 1770 than Fitzroy.
    the bait and tackle guy at Agnes advised us to fish with 8/0-10/0's) but we did very well on 4's and 5's. I found the tarpon 5's with 80lb mono trace could handle the bigger fish without any bending. even a simple patanosta worked just as well or if not better than the running ball sinkers that everyone was recommending.
    Would recommend purchasing some flys from PE tackle. Our boat didnt have any but the other boat that we went with did and in the more shallower water they produced some better fish that what we did.
    They even worked really good in the deeper water.Attachment 95546Attachment 95545
    David
    Thanks for that info, we struggled to catch fish this time as well. Plenty on the sounder but could'nt get them to bite - I wonder if it was the northerly.

We didn't go wider than Fitzroy and it sounds like we payed the price for our lazyness.

Still was a good 2 day trip and we had heaps of room for the beer in the esky.