Thread: Bluewater charter operator near cairns

Bluewater charter operator near cairns

Gday Lads,
    Anyone been out with and would recommend a charter operator somewhere either in Cairns or a few hours north for reefies? Going over to see a mate and he has had a crappy run with charter boats over there. There will only be 4 of us and more than willing to hire the whole boat of a smaller boat if thats the best way to go.Any suggestions about best tides for down there would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Rob
    "I would rather cut off my own ding dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse

Re: Bluewater charter operator near cairns

Hi Rob,

Whenever you can get out at this time of the year the wind blows long and hard. I'd personally avoid Cairns and head out from Port or the Daintree. Saltaire or Dragon Lady are both good boats I've heard. Also from the Daintree, Jamie Bietzel runs a smaller boat and does very well as he's fished there his whole life I think.

Best times are the build up to the new and full moons, more run more fun generally but get out when you can, plenty of macks around at the moment and the large mouth nannygai have been biting well I've heard. Cheers. Nick.

i've been on acouple of game-boats out of Cairns which proved to be very good,
    first was a boat called Flying Fisher 1, great crew, very knowledgeable, and got us onto plenty of mack's and tuna.
    Second was a boat called Kalira, again great crew, etc, etc, got us onto plenty of mack's and a small 70pound marlin at the end of the day. For a cheaper option the is Kerry from Blackout Sportsfishing Charters, a good price to get the boat to yourself and you can hit the reef as we did or target the rivers and easturies or both. He gave great service and got us onto reefies. If i didn't have a boat now, I would use Blackout again. (it's a 6 to 7 metre ally centre console).

Another vote for Jamie on the daintree worth the extra drive I reckon

Is an hour or two south an option?

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your responses some good places to start looking at now. Will let you kn9ow how the trip goes

Cheers Rob
    "I would rather cut off my own ding dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse

Gday RayLamp
    Yeah mate south is an option ,where were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ejackulate View Post
    Gday RayLamp
    Yeah mate south is an option ,where were you thinking?
    I've fished on a number of occasions with Carlo from http://www.fishingcharterstownsville.com.au/ and he prefers to fish from Dungeness/Lucinda. It's never failed, he is a good operator who will go the extra mile to get you on the fish. You can stay right next to the boat ramp at a resort for reasonable prices too.

It would only be 2 1/2 hours drive south of Cairns, but well worth it. There doesn't seem to be the problem with the northern trade winds there.

I've caught spaniards, GT's, nannygai, cobia, golden trevally, cod and emporer from there. I even made it on youtube from my trip last year, spinning for small spaniards