Thread: Thinking of going to Fitzroy reef this week-end but have a doubt about notherly wind

Thinking of going to Fitzroy reef this week-end but have a doubt about notherly wind

Hi All

With weather looking very good, I have set my mind on going to 1770 to fish around Fitzroy reef this week-end, but my son thinks it is not worth the trip as it is going to be east-northerly and northerly wind, which apparently shuts down the reef.

I really want to go, even bought 12 kg of squid :-)

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Thinking of going to Fitzroy reef this week-end but have a doubt about notherly w

I say if the weather is good you should go. Even if you don't get a lot of fish you are sure to still get a feed.
    Cheers Brett

Re: Thinking of going to Fitzroy reef this week-end but have a doubt about notherly w

Forecast for Fitzroy Area.

Saturday 8/17
    Morning
    Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
    Seas: E 0.6 meters at 5 seconds
    Winds: ENE 7 to 9 knots

Afternoon
    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.
    Seas: E 0.6 meters at 5 secondsWinds: ENE 5 to 7 knots

Sunday 8/18
    Morning
    Seas: E 0.4 meters at 5 seconds
    Winds: N 4 to 5 knots

Afternoon
    Seas: ENE 0.4 meters at 6 seconds
    Winds: NNW 5 to 7 knots

Monday is OK as well.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If son doesn't like to fish in those winds, leave him at home

LP

Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 14-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thank you LP
    Decision is made and I will go:-)
    BTW where do you get such a detailed forecast for Fitzroy reef from?

Best session I have ever had at 1770 was when there were Northerlies (2009)! However, haven't been able to repeat this since, no matter what conditions!

If the weather is good, I'm with LP - get another Decky . Magic place, so even average results are quite tolerable . Great fishing is a bonus!
    Cheers
    Brendon

Thanks guys!
    I will write uo a report when we come back, hopefully it will be less eventful then last time when we lost a wheel from the trailer near the Gin Gin and the tow and repair cost me 8k :-)

Hi Redfox we just got back on Monday after 2 and a half days fishing from east of wreck reef down to Boult reef. It was an average trip but we still brought home some good fish. When the northerlys come through Sunday night it did seem to shut the place down, we checked some marks on Monday which were holding good schools of fish the day before only to find them barren.

You will have a better moon phase then we had last weekend so might do alright.

There are loads of whales up there at the moment.

Good luck mate

Forgot to add the bar can stand up a bit in a northerly as well.