Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do we get a fish cleaning station at Cleveland Ramp ??

Re: How do we get a fish cleaning station at Cleveland Ramp ??

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    .303 nails work, for all seasons, don't need a drill.

Have fun Haji-Baba
    Well actually my boat is a four seasons. Will it work on that?

We already have enough congestion at the ramps without encouraging everyone to spend more time and take up valuable parking space. Spend the money on more ramps or parking.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Well actually my boat is a four seasons. Will it work on that?
    So you've had a good dose of your idiot pills then you go and admit you own a 4 seasons boat. That just maybe an overdose!

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    We already have enough congestion at the ramps without encouraging everyone to spend more time and take up valuable parking space. Spend the money on more ramps or parking.
    Cheers
    Ray
    So what do you suggest then ? Clean them in the streets at home, in the kitchen ?
    I totally agree with the amount or lack of parking and facilities. Yesterday at Cleveland they have no pontoon, rocks to beach your fibreglass boat on at low tide and I had to park about 250 m from the ramp.
    Surely we can have better facilities that that. I see how much tax I pay and I wish I had a say in where it was spent.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    So you've had a good dose of your idiot pills then you go and admit you own a 4 seasons boat. That just maybe an overdose!
    Now you listen to me sunny boy just because you don't catch fish worth taking home there is no need to get personal.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Now you listen to me sunny boy just because you don't catch fish worth taking home there is no need to get personal.
    Mmmmmmmmmm Sunny Boy. Preferred the Raz or the Glug though.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmm Sunny Boy. Preferred the Raz or the Glug though.
    I was a sunny boy fan myself. But the Razz was good too.

What about we be content with some ramp ugrades and then look at cleaning tables later. I pity the guys who use Wello Point ramp. I went down one evening to launch my latest purchase only to be faced with a surf break on the ramp. The southern Ramp at Vikki Point could do with an upgrade as well. I have been onto Energex for months now to replace the blown light over that ramp. Besides the best cleaning tables are thrown out ironing boards. They adjust to the perfect height and have holes to let all the garbage through. They also clean up easy as well and mine has the upgrade version...... where the iron sits is just great for holding the spray head of the hose.

On the subject of cleaning tables bunnings does a stainless wheeled table. Adjustable height. Perfect for cleaning. Around $200 from memory. I just sit on a little stool and use the top of my esky as table. Freeze the frames and scraps and take them out with me next trip and dump them.

we don't have cleaning tables southside because every ramp excepting cleveland is a tourist hot spot and tourists don't like holding their noses. as has also been pointed out: the less time you spend at the ramp, the happier the next bloke looking for a park will be. as it is patently obvious that our facilities will not see us through the next 10 years we shouldn't be giving our pollies any ribbon cutting, baby kissing opportunities over minor infrastructure - especially when it is only a matter of time before someone gets lost in one of the cracks in the ramp at wello
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Mate just take a large cutting board couple of buckets pull up near some water and "Away You Go" and throw all waste back in the sea. Oh also you already got more Reef Balls down that way, what more can one ask for. MMM if you could only see them. Oh don't worry about Sunny Boys i want Jelly Tips pls.

All I'm reading is boaties having to pay more for ironing board tables or cutting boards and buckets. Take the 5-7mt class boat and say there 10,000 registered in qld that's 1.6m a year to buy and pay someone to install a cutting bench at every ramp isn't a big ask.
    Now how many registered boats is there in seq?

I know of one fish cleaning station near the Manly ramp - well it's away from the ramp on the southern side of the Yacht Squadron. You are away from the ramp so you won't interfere with other ramp users, but there's insufficient room to swing a large boat ...or cat. Probably only good to use midweek.

An old timber fold away table is our/MY !!! cleaning/gutting/occasionally scaling platform.

We have it set up over a garden bed atm that we are "fertilising"

When that is done, we will just move it to another part of the garden.

After washdown with hose, we freeze everything else...be it for berley/frames for crabs or back to the sea next trip

If anyone has chooks.....they love any excess innards....and the local birdlife & ants clean up what I have missed.

btw...our chooks lay incredible eggs as it is....but with a liberal serving of fish guts from time to time...the quality seems even betterer...

I WILL say...not looking forward to doing battle with the flys in summer but...

Cheers, Ray

Here's a picture of my filleting table at home. Built it a few years ago. As you can see, it has a higher side where yours truly, at 6ft 6" in the old scale, stands to fillet. Others of a more average height use the other side of te sink. Pipe from sink goes into fruit tree garden, and they seem to like the fertiliser!

One thing you may not be aware of is that quite a few of the filleting tables/shelters in NSW were funded by local fishing groups or competitions. One example is the setup at Evans Head, where the local fishing comp organisers put together a proposal and provided the funding, and the local Council did the approvals etc, and supervised construction.

Wouldn't that be an innovative idea here - rather than complaining about why the local Council etc doesnt provide these things, get some grass roots fundraising happening, fund it ourselves and do the same thing!

As others have suggested there are some practical considerations that come to mind. The most important ones being:

1. Where to locate the tables in relation to the boat ramp - so that it doesnt cause delays for ramp users; and

2. What to do with the skeletons and scraps.

Regarding Point 1:
    At the Evans' Head ramp, the filleting station is adjacent to the side of the ramp. Retrieve the boat, park in carpark nearby, and come back to fillet the fish. Car and boat are within sight so you can keep an eye out for the light-fingered brigade. So that needs to be thought through.

Regarding Point 2:
    Disposal of frames etc, at Evans the ramp is in the river and the washdown drain from the tables goes thru a 4" pipe in to the river, and you can throw skeletons in the river too. They get taken away with the tidal flow in the river.

I suspect the lack of todal flow like that is why these facilities are not provided in lots of places around Moreton Bay - the skeletons would just sit there until taken by sharks etc. or wash up on the beach and be a smelly mess. No-one wins when that happens.

Some idiots of course throw them into the actual ramp area at Evans, where they sit until some poor bugger walks onto them when launching or retrieving and either slips over or gets spiked. Stupid.

So if we are wanting to achieve something in this space, in my experience you need to have thought things thru and costed them out, including how you think that ongoing issues such as how the frames and other detritus will be safely disposed of, and that needs to be done in a way so that the people living or working within the ramp vicinity dont cop a stinky situation.

Here's a pic of the Evans Head Cleaning station. You can see the drains in the centre and the excellent design actually allows up to 8 people to be filleting all at the same time. Very well thought out!

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....