Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police crack down - trailer boats

Police crack down - trailer boats

Got this email today;

Fellas,

Some stories coming in from the streets that police are cracking down on trailer boat infringements. And they’ll be in force this weekend.

You may have noticed of late the increase in trademan utes with mesh netting over the tray to secure any loose items? Well police are taking this approach onto boat owners. Each loose item will attract a $50 penalty and some boat owners have been fined up to $3000 before even getting to the ramp. It’s been reported that 80 fishos were issued infringement notices down around Victoria Point over the last few days. Police are also cracking down on not having a red or brightly coloured sock over your outboard prop to clearly identify the overhang from the trailer.

So remove any loose items from your boat including items stowed in side pockets, eskys, fishing rods etc into your vehicle or in-built storage lockers onboard the boat. Or cover your “load” with the elasticised mesh netting. Or install a full boat cover that’s suitable for highway use. Also hang a rag or purchase a fluoro sock for the prop area of your outboard.

Cheers

Re: Police crack down - trailer boats

Cheers.
    Think i will be safe with jet ski

And water draining out from the boat when leaveing the ramp is apperently unsecured load,someone got fined by a cop bike following the boat and got water on his boots,were will it all end??????

When the Gov't have enough money......Never

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    And water draining out from the boat when leaveing the ramp is apperently unsecured load,someone got fined by a cop bike following the boat and got water on his boots,were will it all end??????
    Gees I wonder if diesel smoke can attract a fine too.

Not again ..........

How many times must this rumour go around????
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Gday guys, my wife works with the police and she called transport branch and they said there was no need for netting over open boats, that the story she got, will get her to call again..

Quote Originally Posted by Symetre View Post
    Got this email today;

Fellas,

Some stories coming in from the streets that police are cracking down on trailer boat infringements. And they’ll be in force this weekend.

You may have noticed of late the increase in trademan utes with mesh netting over the tray to secure any loose items? Well police are taking this approach onto boat owners. Each loose item will attract a $50 penalty and some boat owners have been fined up to $3000 before even getting to the ramp. It’s been reported that 80 fishos were issued infringement notices down around Victoria Point over the last few days. Police are also cracking down on not having a red or brightly coloured sock over your outboard prop to clearly identify the overhang from the trailer.

So remove any loose items from your boat including items stowed in side pockets, eskys, fishing rods etc into your vehicle or in-built storage lockers onboard the boat. Or cover your “load” with the elasticised mesh netting. Or install a full boat cover that’s suitable for highway use. Also hang a rag or purchase a fluoro sock for the prop area of your outboard.

Cheers
    That's good mate but it begs the question " who is the email from?".

There are now about 5 separate threads here on Ausfish about this.

It is ridiculous. I think there is a fair chance that these rumors are being fed by people who make or sell cargo nets!!

Not one of the posters on any of these threads has anyone who has personally been fined on this matter. Its all "he said, I heard from my mates second cousin's sister-in-law"!

Yet several threads have people with first hand experience saying they have been pulled over by police or transport with no such issues being raised with them.

Several of us have spoken with family members who are Police officers who haven't heard of any such blitzes! And some of us have even taken the time to look a the Qld Transport website where the rules about this are pretty clear, and do not mention nets over boats!

People, for heavens sake, settle down.

It is simple.

Don't leave loose lightweight items in open boats that can easily fly out. Nothing in there that could slide out if you have to swerve or brake suddenly. You will be OK if you do his.

There is No need for nets over deep sided boats where things cant fly or slide out!

But DO have your boat secured front and rear to your trailer. Use a good solid strap. And a flag on your prop if it extends more than 120cm behind your trailer.

Cheers, one last time!

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Fair enough it probably is a rumour. I thought no harm in sharing it around in case it is true, might save an ausfisher a fine. Next time I won't share. Mods feel free to delete thread.

Moonlighter you read my mind

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Surely you contested a BS charge like that?

What about cars coming out of car washes, cattle carriers with 20-30L+ of p!ss and sh!t flowing off them on hills and corners, etc. They would not be allowed on the road full stop if that was the case.

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Symetre View Post
    Fair enough it probably is a rumour. I thought no harm in sharing it around in case it is true, might save an ausfisher a fine. Next time I won't share. Mods feel free to delete thread.
    Mate,

It's not about that - we all know you meant well and you shouldn't be deterred from sharing info. Just take 15mins to do a little research on the subject before slapping stuff like that up. You will quickly find out whether it is legit or not.

Ben.

Its simple really.....secure ANY load...whether it be in a ute tray, trailer or boat, jetski....low loader, airplane, semi or ANYTHING.....ALL have the same commonsense rules

It is REALLY NOT THAT hard peeps.....

Anthing that CANNOT be secured needs to be covered with a suitable restraint, cargo net in our cases....not unlike the principle of a cargo barrier in vans.

REALLY peeps.....it is THAT simple....the KISS method with COMMONSENSE.

WHY all the hoo-hah JUST do what is RIGHT & No probs

Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    Its simple really.....secure ANY load...whether it be in a ute tray, trailer or boat, jetski....low loader, airplane, semi or ANYTHING.....ALL have the same commonsense rules

It is REALLY NOT THAT hard peeps.....

Anthing that CANNOT be secured needs to be covered with a suitable restraint, cargo net in our cases....not unlike the principle of a cargo barrier in vans.

REALLY peeps.....it is THAT simple....the KISS method with COMMONSENSE.

WHY all the hoo-hah JUST do what is RIGHT & No probs

Ray.
    So what do you suggest a motor bike rider does, screw his nuts to the seat.
    Hey he is unsecured isn't he.