Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass action in the upper reaches of the brissy river!!!

Re: Bass action in the upper reaches of the brissy river!!!

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    So I hear that Bass move down to the salt water to spawn in winter. Would they be moving back yet?

Also, is it better to fish near the surface or down deep in early September up near Fernvale?

Nathan were you fishing the bottom in 4 mtrs or the surface or what the other day?

Again also, do you bunch the worms up or cut them to the size of your hook?
    Once the Bass move down to the salt they can't come back up, unless they jump out and hitch-hike past Mr. Crosby Weir.

Once the season re-opens, when you are in the big long holes of slow running water, just throw a lure out behind the canoe and drag it along.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thumbs up Re: Bass action in the upper reaches of the brissy river!!!

Sounds like there is a lot of paddling done over 3 days
    Yes the camps are more about stretching the boys than fishing but since I have come along I have tacked this on and even though I (and they) am usually stuffed by the time we get to each camping spot we give it a shot and until now have always scored the odd catfish, eel, turtle or other ooglie

Once the Bass move down to the salt they can't come back up, unless they jump out and hitch-hike past Mr. Crosby Weir.
    Sorry if I sounded like I am a freshwater dummy Dale but I am! In fact I had no idea that bass hitch hiked Very cool! Love to see some pics!

Now I get how they keep making it back up the river

So Dale, what 'do' bass do by way of seasonal movements in the Brissy River and do they in fact move? Sounds like you know a bit about this since you open your car to random bass around dams etc.

Thanks also for your tips on dragging lures behind our canoe's, usually do when we can but will increase the practice.

Mal

Ps. We will be kicking off canoe camps around September so good timing

Re: Bass action in the upper reaches of the brissy river!!!

The Brisbane River between Lake Wivenhoe wall and Mt Crosby weir is more like an impoundment than a river for the Bass. If they migrate down, they cannot get back over the weir. They live in the river, and as most of them are ex-lake fish they tend to keep the same habits of schooling up. Most of the really big fish will be found in deep holes. Smaller fish that BVA have released directly into the river will behave a bit differently and they will hold up in the snags. Remember there are more snags that you can't see than those that you can see so blind casting will often work. If you catch a Mary River Cod in those waters release it immediately as they are totally protected.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to