Thread: barra help please

barra help please

hi folks,

I realise that this question has been probably asked a thousand times but could someone help me with lure and plastic selection for creek barra fishing in the western side of the gulf?

I have already bought a few 'bomber' lures in gold and some in green ....... right track?

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Re: barra help please

dont go past the b52 in silver aswell upgrade all hooks and change lure colour regularly
    yellows, reds and blues also work a treat or small poppers but don't pop them just pull them along slowly
    as for plastics go the z man frog legs in white look for the snag free jig head http://www.ttlures.com.au/category.php?id=148
    if working the reeds
    http://www.z-man.com.au/lures.php?id=179

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

My golf mate who used to make THE most popular barra lures tested them unpainted and got the most hookups. It was all in the action. He painted them so they would sell in shops.

I fish at Weipa every year in either May or November. I would never go there without a tackle box full of Mad Mullets from Lively Lures in the 2.5" and 3" deep diving sizes. They are simply barra and jack lollies in the creeks up there.

Cheers

Jeff

Tango props for that topwater action, gold bombers - not so much the colour but the action.

cheers for the heads up everyone!!!! our destination is very close to the nt border so hopefully the fish will be very active and of course plentiful. anyone been to this area and caught muddies?

thanks again,
    tk

Colour does mean a lot at times regardless of what you hear but there are still a lot of variables
    pink or gold as a rule although anything that has a contrast is okay because contrast strobes on retrieve which attracts the barras attenion
    you want two types of lures, one that dives very deep very quick and another one that dives steady
    depth is made by retrieve speed or jerk and the longer you keep your lure in the water whether it is at pause or very slow retrieve the more barras you will get
    all lures have a speed where you can feel the vibe and that is the optimum speed for that lure when moving
    I read an article many years ago where a bloke said that if you can make your lure stay 1 minute on retrieve you will catch more fish
    so I tried it and my success multiplied over night, now days I pretty well have barras wired much of the time
    same with plastics really you need to find your depth and keep it in the water as long as possible
    natural colours in clear water and flouro in dirty water
    vibe plastics are better in dirty water because barras are very sensitive to vibration (big lat line) and will hit a vibe just as readily as a sighting
    now you've got all that you still have to have faith in your choice
    and if you don't have faith you won't put in the same effort and you won't get the same results
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Are you talking Wollogorang?? I have been there half a dozen times and never had a bad trip. Plenty of muddies and good numbers of barra up to 1.0m, heaps of jack and the odd threadie and blue nose.
    I am heading off to Seven Emu in 4 weeks for a change od scenery. Hopefully it is just as good as Masacre/Tully.

Quote Originally Posted by tailorkid View Post
    cheers for the heads up everyone!!!! our destination is very close to the nt border so hopefully the fish will be very active and of course plentiful. anyone been to this area and caught muddies?

thanks again,
    tk

once again folks thanks again for your time and effort replying to my post

River2sea kongs- i've heard nothing but good stuff about them in mondy at least

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    My golf mate who used to make THE most popular barra lures tested them unpainted and got the most hookups. It was all in the action. He painted them so they would sell in shops.
    They would be the Pipeline George lures?

Mate the soft vibes such as Transams are a must have in the box as they are very versatile for fishing snags and deep holes and they catch a hell of a lot of fish. They arent cheap but they are very effective.

Have a look at this thread - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1497563

It's Cairns based but all the techniques and lures will work equally as well

cheers

Richard