Thread: Deep water GPS Marks off brisbane

Deep water GPS Marks off brisbane

Hey guys,

As the title says im after some areas in the 150-300m mark to start looking for some different adventures.

I would like to give the deep water a go at jigging but also dropping baits down..

As soon as my boat is fixed I will be going out there on a prospecting mission but thought I might as well throw some jet heads out the back n see what happens.

I would love to jig up a blue eye trevalla but from my understanding they are somewhere closer to 4-500m depth. But even anything from out there would be good.

Anything else I can expect from this depth range. The 1kw Transducer goes in the next month when some finances become available.

Any help would be great and any areas I should start with would be awesome.

Thanks.

Re: Deep water GPS Marks off brisbane

With the 1 kw you will be able to see like a looking glass.
    You won't even need marks.
    There is so much bottom out there you can't miss. Just ask Trevelly

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanranger24 View Post
    With the 1 kw you will be able to see like a looking glass.
    You won't even need marks.
    There is so much bottom out there you can't miss. Just ask Trevelly
    I think Phil is having a go at me

Shaun have a look in this thread
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...e-deep./page44

Page 44 onwards shows you some idea of places and what some guys got and for some locations for your epirb to get you close to some spots known have a look at post 197 in same thread.

It is a lot of look and see though as Phil says.

I would be going out there in a few hours from now but life got in the way with other plans more important

Good hunting
    Cheers

Trev

Yeah thanks guys. Much appreciated. I know it's a lot of looking around and my next trip will be mainly a prospecting adventure.

Trevelly. That's a shame u weren't able to head out. Thanks for the info on other posts. Its sometimes really hard to find it with search tools but then again I'm fairly useless in the literacy department.

Hopefully the boat will be sorted before the next time the weather is good. Definately catch up with u guys out there one day.

Cheers.

Hi Shauno555, just to give you an idea of finding ground.... I am planning tomorrow. Have asked the crew and all are otherwise useless ((((
    So the plan leave ramp at noonish. Go wide to grounds I know and have a drop till the eye lids drop. Throw out the anchor in the forlorn hope of holding on something worthwhile, which rarely happens.

If the anchor doesnt hold where it should and insists on dragging one, or two or three or 4 km, lady luck usually gets it to find something rocky...aka...new ground!!!! And if lady luck is a bit.h like last trip, then you lose your anchor and a hundred metres or so of rope. when you try to retrieve it in the morning.

So anchor out means put the mattress down, have a cuppa and a gooood snore --- with out the wife kicking you.

In the morning, i intend to NOT go back to the old grounds, but head on south with the northerly blowing me from the rear at slow and hopefully find something new. Of course if I do, I might have to drop a bait.

As I am a Bar cod virgin, I am thinking to go and explore the 250-300 shallow reefs and see if I can lose the big V.

wish me luck... oh Trevelly, no luck wishes from you please
    Phil

Phil, That sounds extremely thought out and the loss of an anchor and everything else does not excite me at the least. Best of luck to you though and I hope you hold onto your anchor this time.

Im about to go for work out at Warick and hopefully by the time I get back I will have some extra cash and the boat will be ready to head out.

Looking at the charts and maps I have pinpointed some areas I am going to look at. Especially a seamount coming from 550m up to 300m over a 0.4km area. sounds promising for pelagics too.

Don't have any electric stuff but what would be the main gear for this sort of work. Braid size, weight needed, leader size. Hooks I will work on 14/0 circles.

Also looks like I wont have the 1kw for about 2 months now. Will the 600w work sufficiently when drifting. I struggle to see the bottom at 60m when driving, even when trolling it is a bit iffy sometimes. So hopefully it will be alright while drifting in that sort of depth.

Cheers
    Shaun

Once you get off the edge of the shelf, your 600w tranny will be useless
    It's hard enough picking out ledges and fish at Jim's (the spot you referred to) with a 1kw, you will see the average shape of the bottom, but not in any great detail.

Wait until you have your new tranny, there's a hell lot of ground to cover out there

G
    S***fish & chippy

Yeah cheers buddy. I thought that would be the case. No harm in asking. I will stick to the 80m and shallower for now until the 1kw is in.

You say "Jims". Being only about 35k's from point lookout I thought it would be a good starting point and working back in and up the 300m line. Is this a regular fishing spot and does it produce?

Im only learning about this stuff now and have been reading as much as I can find, but as the other guys say its all about getting out there and finding stuff for yourself. So any help is greatly appreciated and valued.

Cheers
    Shaun

Jim's Mountain is 55km from both Boat rock off Pt Lookout and the same from the Seaway, We have no problem with a 600w on a HDS 8 Gen 2 as far as bottom reading goes at low speed (6 knts) at 50hZ in manual with the ping length adjusted to suit deep water. In auto mode it won't read more than a few scratches of bottom.

We were out in that general area last weekend in the great conditions, left from Raby Bay with a total distance traveled of 210 km for the day.

KINGIE

Quote Originally Posted by kingie View Post
    Jim's Mountain is 55km from both Boat rock off Pt Lookout and the same from the Seaway, We have no problem with a 600w on a HDS 8 Gen 2 as far as bottom reading goes at low speed (6 knts) at 50hZ in manual with the ping length adjusted to suit deep water. In auto mode it won't read more than a few scratches of bottom.

We were out in that general area last weekend in the great conditions, left from Raby Bay with a total distance traveled of 210 km for the day.

KINGIE
    Did you catch anything?

And yes I agree I pick up the bottom structure and fish sign in the settings you give on similar outfit.

Shauns outfit sounds a bit suss though if it is bad at 60m.
    Cheers

Trev

Yeah have been playing with the settings since last time and reading a bit. I only have the HDS 5 at the moment. Before anything above 6kn and I would pick up the bottom but nothing else. Really hard to find bait balls sometimes if its really thin. But after doing a lot of reading about settings I should hopefully get a better screen.
    But the 1kw is going to get hooked up to a hds 7 when I buy that too.

The area im thinking about isn't that far from boat rock. I will try and take a screenshot on my phone and load it. 1st picture so see how I go. PS all those other marks are very generic marks and nothing extraordinary. lol

Attachment 95527
    Thanks for the help guys

Hi Trev,
    I put a post in the offshore report section, we got Blue Eye Trevella. Also lost a few 15/0 hooks to bite offs right on the hook loop.

Shauno 555, if your looking for the rise from 500 to 300 35 km SE from Boat rock it's not where it's marked on Navionics charts nor is the 900/1000 further due east, take plenty of fuel as there is a lot of water to search. We average 1 L of Diesel/ Nautical mile in a 6.55m boat and generally use 90-150 L for the day (Have 320 L under the floor)

Cheers
    Kingie

Damn navionics chart!! haha. That's ok, thanks heaps for that. Saves me a lot of cursing and driving around trying to find something that isn't there.
    I only have a signature 543 with a 140 Suzuki on the back so it is a "good day" only sort of trip. Can carry 260 litres of juice though so that gets me a fair way. Don't think I get as good mileage as your diesel but it wouldn't be too far off. Havent worked that one out yet.

Thanks mate

Ok here goes the saga of the show holiday... Left the ramp noon tuesday in plenty of wind. went across to tanga and slept the evening till the mozzies woke me because the wind had stopped howling behind the wrecks. went on to the bar at midnight and it was flat so went around combyuro and carried on out. 2pm i was at the shelf in 4kmh current. had a nap then dropped the first rig. with current at 4kmh it was a good opportunity to find new grounds. Despite having baits down from about 3am till 9am i couldnt raise even a nibble. Only managed to lose two rigs and 2 lengths of braid this time. A silly dolphin swam through one
    If there was an upside, I think I may have solved the fish deep in high current puzzzle.

Anyway, the pie and cappuccino at Tanga was very welcome but at $15.50 was a bit steep.

Anyone who regularly catches DD fish certainly earns my respect. At first I thought it was pretty easy, but having had plenty of empty esky trips, I can attest that many of the early captures were more fluke than talent.

you were interested in fuel. I travel out of colmslie. it is 105km to the grounds + drifts. I get between 1.1 and 1.6km/l driving. Most trips I burn around 200ltrs fuel in a suzi 175 pushing a 24 fglass
    Phil
    Last edited by Oceanranger24; 16-08-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: fuel info