Thread: Fishing at Boonooroo

Fishing at Boonooroo

Hi all,

I am heading up to Boonooroo with my brother and a couple of his mates.

Anyone got any info or tips and where to go for a fish there?

Are there any yabby banks reachable on foot?

We may have a tinny available to us, but it isn't confirmed yet, so most of the fishing is likely to be land based.

Thanks in advance...

Ben.

Re: Fishing at Boonooroo

Hey Ben,
    yep there are yabbie banks on low water, also a local at Maroom (up the road a bit) sells blood worms, the big whiting are on atm, fish making tide close to mangroves. also you can fish the ramp, has pontoon. Couple tracks thru forestry will get you to a couple of spots as well.
    Cheers
    Chong

Cheers Chong!

Beware of the channel especially at low tide

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    Beware of the channel especially at low tide
    Thanks mate. In what sense do I need to beware?

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    Thanks mate. In what sense do I need to beware?
    Its very shallow, if u miss the channel u go from 1.5m to .1m in zero time....i have done it a number of times

Quote Originally Posted by Chong View Post
    Its very shallow, if u miss the channel u go from 1.5m to .1m in zero time....i have done it a number of times
    Figured that's what he meant, but thanks for clarifying.

Wow! You guys weren't kidding about the low tides and narrow channel. Didn't run aground, but you had to be on the lookout.

Unbelievable weekend with the straights glassed out both days.

I pumped for yabbies at Tuan and found the banks to be quite unproductive. Took nearly 90mins to put together some numbers. I would say the average was one yabby for every 5-6 holes pumped. The pumping was hard going as the mixture of sand and mud is very dense and I have a very big pump. I think it would be easier with a smaller pump.

Went flicking plastics for the fist time, which netted me a couple of keepers and some throwbacks - the best was 44cm. I am now addicted to this style of fishing and love my new Stadic CI4 to death. On a nice and light 2-kg rod, it was great action. I am still a few weeks of getting my Gary Howard Envy 1-3kg of lay-by.

Whiting were very patchy and when we did find good numbers, they were mostly too small to bother keeping - basically, anything less that 22-23cm went back. Yabbies were the go, but squid was better in some spots. Found a few spots that were thick with those bastard great green toadfish. Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid down Moreton Bay. A couple of them bit clean through the hook. Most of them were pushing 2KG. Also caught heaps of flatties around the 15cm mark where we were picking up the whiting.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Ben.