fraser/rainbow beach

we are heading up to fraser for a two week camp

has anyone been over recently ?

and how were the beaches ?

also access on the rainbow beach access from leisha track

thanks

Re: fraser/rainbow beach

Hi Scott
    i was up camping at Waddy for a week from 13 july and the Beach run up were was good, heaps of sand on Hook point ,the only rocks you have to go around are at Poyungan ,we got accross the front of the rest and it was 1.5 to 2 hours after low tide.
    couldnt tell you about Leisha , we went up the highway and across.
    Were going back up next Sat 17/8 for 2 weeks staying in a house at Ochard this time, when are you going up ? were you camping ?

good one

we head up for the september school holidays and stay on the western side where its nice and quite

if you could let me know how it was when you get back would be great

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTYGC View Post
    good one

we head up for the september school holidays and stay on the western side where its nice and quite

cheers
    School holidays, Fraser and quiet are not words that should be used in the same sentence!
    I was up there last month and it was genuinely quiet. Stayed up at Waddy.

Beaches were severely eroded, and only good to travel couple of hrs each side of low or thereabouts. Long as you plan your trips around low you'll be fine.

Hook pt was not passable by beach when I went over, but the bypass track was sweet. Access from Rainbow was a breeze.

Dude, were you joking re quiet western side? If you havent been, my advice is It will be packed and there will be much traffic across the inland roads and all the way up the beach. Kingfisher, Eli, Maheno, Mackenzie, central station - all packed with tourists.

Lucky my kids are young, as I am heading up again on the last day of school hols!

we have camped at awinya for the past 6 years at the same time of year and as you an only access awinya at low tide day trppers dont stay long

we only head over to the eastern side for the odd trip to eli or waddy or to do a rubbish run

we have all seen central station and lake mc kenzie plenty of times

most days we only see a handfull of cars ( most of them lost)

hav they graded the hook point road?

last time i did that road i swore id never go near it agian

ahh I see.

hook pt bypass was firm - piece of cake.
    keep an eye on conditions at the National Parks site - http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fr...ons-report.pdf

Good to see they may have graded the Hook Pt rd, I hated that four years ago and swore never again. I am heading up September 11th.

Currently I think you could get around Hook Pt on the beach at high tide. There's only 1 pinch point that might be no-go especially with some swell. Of course things change day to day.
    It's a bit of a pain with the area north/south of poyungan and yidney rocks. The bypasses are ok but it's slow going (especially with a trailer) picking your way through the rocks on the beach near the bypasses.

any recent reports?

Up there a week ago, beaches were perfect to drive even at 3/4 to high tide, Eli was a breeze, can't comment on hook as come though kingfisher, some severely eroded tracks, should see some soccer mums severely bogged