Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy electronics?

Re: Where to buy electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Damned67 if you're looking for a 55lb Minn Kota Terrova with i-pilot, then that big place at Coffs Harbour has them on special ATM for $1,780 plus delivery...
    Saw the same model at Cleveland BCF last night for $2,299!!

K eoghs at Labrador - www dot k e oghs marine dot com dot au (without the spaces)

Great customer service - before during and after sales.

I bought my LMF-200 and EP-85R online from chsmith in Melbourne and would highly recommend them.
    I even received a call from the owner on Saturday morning as he just wanted to confirm I knew what I was doing and ordering the correct parts.

Thanks guys! I've gone from not enough choices to too many.
    Special thanks to whoever pointed out that the HDS7 touch has the structure scan built in. I had no idea, so ignored them as I didn't want to pay the extra price for a touch screen.
    Speaking of which, anyone got any feedback on the touch screen?
    I would imagine that it would get pretty messy/dysfunctional from using it with fish slime/sunscreen etc all over ones fingers?

used them for a fair while on the garmins/simrads. they can get a tad warm after a while. but the feedback is still spot on. they dont really get that dirty.. usually only visable when the units are off. about as much as a smart phone really and we all seem to use them without concern .
    yeah the extra cost on the HDS touch range over say the simrad can seem a bit funky. but the inbuilt of the LSS module is a nice thing to consider if you ever do fancy that direciton. saves 400 odd dollars. so it brings it a biiit more in line with the NSS. IMO the hds touch interface is nicer than the simrad " i spose navico learnt their lessons and took on feedback"

have you purchased a unit yet?

No prob mate...

Like I said, they look to be good value. I too would like to know how they go with wet fingers. I have been told that they rely on electrical 'power' so to speak from your fingers to work, which doesn't work on wet screens.

You can always find a demo unit at a retailer, wet your fingers with some water, and try it.......

I played with a normal HDS 7, and to be honest found navigating the unit a bit long winded. I hope the touch system is more streamlined. One reason I'm leaning towards the Humminbird is that it uses 4 buttons to do 90% of the functions.

yeah we had a drag race with a humminbird vs a garmin touch screen. spite buttons it took far less time to do "Stuff" on the Hbirds than garmin touches
    navigating on the touch lowrances vs non touch is chalk and cheese.. moving across maps. pinpointing locations. zooming "a small feature i think is pretty boss!"

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post

have you purchased a unit yet?
    Not yet, still waiting on my ATO refund to hit my bank account.....

Then there was the Humminbird suggestion..... The thought of linking the i-pilot to GPS marks in the Combo unit is quite appealing.

gota ask yourself "with sounders and electrics" would you get that much use out of it. can you justify the ipilot link cost .... if you use it a bucket load then yeah totally worth it!. if not. consider saving the cash or putting it elsewhere i guess

The ipilot link would be great. I want the ipilot for spot lock and for being able to sneak up on a mark. However, if the lowrance is a better sounder, as claimed by others, I can manually drive the electric up to the spot I'm after....

Damned I have a touch 7 and find it absolutely brilliant very easy to use with the touch screen on the move even in a bit of chop,easy to navigate through the on screen commands and there is no problem with adjusting the screen with wet or slimey fingers ,actually it doesn't take much to give the hands a wipe before using it anyway.