Thread: Penn Prevail

Penn Prevail

Hi guys,
    I bought a Penn Prevail 10 foot 10-15kg around 4 months back and use it specifically for jew off the rocks.
    Had a Penn Applause 8000 reel on it and 30lb power pro braid.
    I would rate it as one of the best rods I have used for casting lures off rocks as it seemed to flick the hardbodies and SP's with ease and is a much lighter rod to cast for an hour or two.
    I have landed jew up to 20kg on it and the feel and strength are excellent in my opinion.

However, I have encountered 2 problems with the rod which is a 2 piece unit..

The first problem is not so bad but the rod will come loose or come apart at the joiner by itself if you do not keep pulling it back together reasonably tight after every 30-40 casts or so. Using 2oz jig heads or medium size HB's..

The second thing that happened a week or two back was I hooked a good fish and as it powered off the reel disappeared around the rod which was unnerving..
    The whole reel seat came loose on the blank and was spinning around like a wheel on an axle.

Have any other prevail owners had this problem??

I didnt feel that I pushed the rod past its limitations, but anyway they replaced it with a new one under warranty so I splashed out and bought a Penn Spinfisher SSV6500 to match up with it and it seems like a sweet combo at this stage.
    Landed fish up to 16kg on it so far and getting smoother with every wind of the handle.. really nice drag operation on it.. bit notchey at first but seems like it needed running in

Only problem is that it looks too good to take out on the rocks and scratch the paint off it...
    cheers, steve.

Re: Penn Prevail

Hi Steve,
    The only thing i have heard is the reel seats on the overhead version have been cracking,but not on the spinner seats.

They will be releasing a new Penn spinfisher 6500SSV in long spool version next year with a worm drive.I'm looking forward in getting one for the extra casting distance.

1000x1000px-LL-4d0788ae_2.jpeg1000x1000px-LL-f0330f79_1.jpeg

Mate your rod may have been pulled a part on a regular basis thus causing some wear. The question is do you need it to be a two piece if not then glue it together, but if you want it to be a two piece then wrap a piece of masking tape to the section that is inserted into the other piece this will hold it tight

Ken

Hi Rodman,
    It was like that from new and the first time it happened I actually cast the front half of the rod out with the lure, and retrieved it thankfully.
    Probably about 6 weeks after I bought it I was playing a SP hooked jew on a wall and got close to the water when the fish came up, no problem,, then the line touched a rock and snapped and all the weight released off the rod quickly as it does.. didnt think too much of it until I walked to the top of the wall and noticed the end of the rod was missing..
    Asked around if anyone saw it and someone said they saw it fly off and over the wall into the river. After a long search the tip was spotted, every time a wave ebbed out the tip would appear in amongst the rocks.
    Retrieved it and there was no apparent damage to rod or guides so kept using it.. still kept coming loose though.
    Discovered that it would come loose whilst playing fish but the new one doesnt seem to have that problem as yet..
    Find the 2 piece is more convenient when taking the heavier gear as well as its easy to carry.
    cheers,

[..
    Find the 2 piece is more convenient when taking the heavier gear as well as its easy to carry.
    cheers,[/QUOTE]

Rabbi,
    Last thing you need is something difficult to carry, you normally have your hands full when heading back to your car....
    JN

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    [..
    cheers,
    Rabbi,
    Last thing you need is something difficult to carry, you normally have your hands full when heading back to your car....
    JN[/QUOTE]

You talkn about Stonecold or jew, or both

what rock wall you fishing mate
    Screaming drag is my drug

I fish 4 walls in this area.
    Brunswick heads, Ballina, Evans Head and yamba.
    Just gotta be in the right place at the right time...