Thread: Reef tips?

Question Reef tips?

I am after a bit of feedback on what people think is the best hook size for reef fishing. I currently use 8/0 O'Shaughnessy's. Do people use gangs much and if so what size hooks on them? Also what do people think of circle hooks and what size in those?.
    Cheers
    Ozy
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Re: Reef tips?

You will get lots of opinions on this subject. I catch fish on the reef so here's mine ....

- 8/0 circle hooks work well, particularly if you like leaving the rod holstered while you sit in the shade and are using braid.
    - 8/0 suicide style hooks also work (my favourite at the moment)
    - a couple of gang hooks with little or no sinker out the back for pelagics also works well - snell them together as spaniards are rather curious so great presentation is essential to maximise hook up rates
    - use green fluro tube on paternoster rigs - you will be amazed at how well small lengths of tube work and it adds a bit of anti-abrasion to the leader
    - in the end, bait presentation (eg 1/2 pillie stuffed into a full squid) on seriously sharp hooks is the key as reef fish usually smash baits

But my decky will tell you 5/0 is all you need and we usually share the honours!

What do use for live baiting . I had so many bites on Sunday with few hooks ups. 5 times in a row the hooks came up exposed. Wasn't happy. Do you use a different set up for bottom and float lining ?

If your at the Agnes servo at 5.30 Saturday morning when we are filling up, I'll give you some of the hooks we use up there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNanks View Post
    What do use for live baiting . I had so many bites on Sunday with few hooks ups. 5 times in a row the hooks came up exposed. Wasn't happy. Do you use a different set up for bottom and float lining ?
    I haven't yet tried live baiting mate. Your comment about heaps of bites is why I posted this thread. I can't seem to get a decent hookup at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    If your at the Agnes servo at 5.30 Saturday morning when we are filling up, I'll give you some of the hooks we use up there.
    Hey mate, I am at the moment trying to tee up some people to do a trip on Saturday so I might catch you at the ramp or on the water. Will know more later this week.

Forget about 8/0's Circles Suicides, gang hooks, etc. What you need is the LARGEST hooks you can get your hands on, some stainless steel trace and a lot of Burley. See, you'll soon by Deckie for Jarrah Jack and those Victorians are mad - mad about catching Sharks!

Cheers,
    Jim

I do like the reefmaster hooks that pe tackle sell in the 9/0. I normally Snell a circle or another reefmaster On. You can fit heaps of bait On that way to feed the pickers then hopefully gives the big ones time to find your bait.
    A whole mullet head will fit nicely too on a 9/0 reefmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Hey mate, I am at the moment trying to tee up some people to do a trip on Saturday so I might catch you at the ramp or on the water. Will know more later this week.
    Where are you thinking of going? We are planning on heading east of Boult then working our way north but are looking at being out there until Monday sometime.

I second the reefmaster hooks. I usually use 2 ganged together for reds but am a big fan of the Petackle 7/0 long shank tailor hooks for everything else.

Still working on the plan. Hopefully 4 blokes on 2 boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Forget about 8/0's Circles Suicides, gang hooks, etc. What you need is the LARGEST hooks you can get your hands on, some stainless steel trace and a lot of Burley. See, you'll soon by Deckie for Jarrah Jack and those Victorians are mad - mad about catching Sharks!

Cheers,
    SHARKS did you say SHARKS oh jesus I nearly wet myself. Really Hoggy you mean like SHARKS,,,geee truck me.

Man I'm on my way now stuff this waiting.

You shouldn't have said that Hoggy..

Bugger a night at Murfs and a BBQ,, I couldn't handle just sitting down..

Not with Sharks on the horizon....

I gotta go.. Better not tell anyone else down here or you'll have all Victoria following me.

SHARKS Well I never SHARKS Mate am I excited...SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha Terry. Good to see you still got your sense of humour mate!! See you on the 24th for a beer or two.

Ozy ... Are they decent bites? Reason I ask is it may be just smaller fish? Try a smaller hook (and bait) next time and see if you catch what's biting. Have you seen Reefmasters DVD ( Wicked Fishing)? Worth watching re baits, rigs hooks etc.
    Jim