Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beach Worming

Beach Worming

Decided to try beach worming, watched the you tube videos, got my stink bag organised, decided to spend the day on the sunny coast and went to Mudjimba. Tried on the last 2 hrs of the run out tide. Saw my first worm (ugly critter) after about 1 minute. I even managed to get the worm arching at the small piece of hand held bait. But I missed him by that much when I tried to grab him, this was repeated for the next hour or so. A local that was on the beach with his kids came down and showed me how he catches them - oh wasn't it easy for him. So, now I'm hooked on beach worming - I have to catch one. My question is, are there beach worms on the surf side of bribie - as I'm on the north side of Brissy, Bribie is a lot closer than the sunny coast.

Re: Beach Worming

almost any beach has worms, it is quite tricky hey!

I'm on Bribie and I've been "gunnadoo" the beachworming thing over at Woorim for god knows how long. Considering it's about $2 per worm at the local tackle shops, and it's a top bait. If you can master the art you're set.

Actually it's a mid-late afternoon runout atm, see if I can be assed to give Wed arvo a try. (to be continued ..... )

If the conditions are good, then worming is great fun, kids love it, and the rewards are good (fresh bait) I always try to use a small piece of Squid or something tough for my hand bait, use fish flesh and the sneaky buggers will nip a tiny bit off and zip back into the sand again, when learning, two people is the way to go, one to use the "bag" and one to actually worm.

We were over the beach at Tugun yesterday getting some,the kids love it as well.Not a lot around over there though,but was more a day out than serious bait gathering,going out shortly to feed the fish with them,just finished work.

i have also been a GUNAA give it a go and am actually going this arvo
    with a mate who knows how its done to learn because i went for a fish
    on saturday and it cost $3.50 a worm at the servo.

$3.50 a worm ! Wow did not know they were that expensive.

I once watched an aboriganal lady in waist deep water catching them with her toes. Now thats skill !!!

I use combantrin as bait... no wonder I got nothing!

Just remember to walk up softly to them, to fast and you'll compress the sand they'll feel the pressure and go back down. Another hint if you miss it the first time move on to the next one it will save you Heep's of time.

Cheers
    Darren
    Good things come to those who bait

Hi,
    I always use a whiting tail or a similar fish tail as my hand bait.
    I am a right hander but for some reason when I started beach worming at 12 years of age I started using my left hand as the catch hand.
    Over the years I have taught many friends but I am not saying I am as good as the aboriginal lady waist deep. Now that is bloody good.
    My basic tips are, try worming at the bottom of the tide. When you can see the worm heads coming up wait a few more waves and keep waving the stink bag and you may entice a worm higher up the beach. That gives you a bit more time and not having to rush while getting pounded by the next cold wave.
    Then walk slowly down to the said worm and wave your bait to get them really excited as water washes back past them.
    Next put your hand bait slowly near the worm so it gets a little taste.
    The next step is crucial and you put your thumb and pointer finger in the sand either side of the worm. DO NOT TOUCH THE WORM OR MOVE SAND SUDDENLY TOWARDS IT.
    While he /she is excitedly eating the bait slowly bring your fingers in, ensuring that you have sand between the worm and each of your thumb and pointer finger. I always bury my fingers and try to hold my thumb horizontal to the sand. This gives you a larger catch area when they retreat back into the sand.
    Next learn to be patient until you get confident at this. At this stage you should feel the worm munching away on your hand bait with an ever so slight feel of the worm .You should still feel sand between the worm and fingers. If not you will lose a lot while you are on your "L" plates.
    Next thing you will feel is the worm arch up all the way though your fingers and his head will arch up as well.
    At this point of the head being at the top of the arch is the squeeze time. Then hopefully drag it out of the wet sand slowly. Big ones sometimes need the help of a wave washing back. That is for the next lesson though.
    I am not saying this is the only way but this is how I have always done it.It was my part time job as a kid while my mates workes on Thursday nights and Saturdays a Kmart earning 25% of what I got and I had heaps of fun. It was a great afternoon with my mum.
    Good luck.

Sorry also, I find there are fewer worms in short deep gutters and beaches where the surf isn't as big. Allso try less popular beaches as far as people trafic goes. I would be surprised I Bribie doen't have them but definitley try the low tide. High tides will limit the amount of worms even at prime spots.

Yep Mr Nanks is on the money. Everyone has a slightly different method and if you can catch them then you have the right method for you. I prefer a pippi to fish as a finger bait as they cant rip small bits off. A part of stingray flap is also good.
    I put a foot either side of the worm a comfortable distance apart facing straight toward the sea. The worm should be in the middle of my stride about a foot or so in front of me. Once spotted and straddled they pretty much will stay there unless you touch them or they are very timid, which they can be at certain times. Wait for a wave to wash between your legs and as it starts to recede waive the finger bait slightly behind your legs so as not to hit the worm. Now the important bit. Keep an eye on the worm and the ocean while doing this. If it looks like a break in the waves then proceed if not then just wait till the next opportunity arises. As I said they wont go anywhere. If all good and you go in for the kill as the last of the wave is running off and the worm is up asking for the bait slip it down to it and let it get a good bite on it. Then proceed slowly as stated above. One thing I find is if when you get hold of it you pull the finger bait and worm together they are less likely to bury in. If you grab the worm and remove the finger bait a gazillion little legs will lock in causing you to rip the head off. I have attached a picture of my preferred grip being the second photo although my Mrs catches them nearly as good using the first grip shown. Hope this helps someone.

grip 2.jpg

Grip 1.jpg

Once you grab them you also usually need to feel the worm relax before you try to yank them out of the sand, I am no expert by any means, but there is a definite relaxation, and then you can just slide them straight up, if they are tense and "grabbing" the sand, you have got no hope of pulling them out.

and it's best not to wear overly bright clothing (like pink tights) or you may make them skittish (or sick)
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!