Thread: jigging gear for doggies

jigging gear for doggies

Hi all, have got a trip booked to the coral sea in november chaseing doggies,am about to fork out the dollars for an outfit capable of stopping these gear trashing beasts,more than likely a new 20000 stella spooled with 100lb but havnt had much of a chance to shop around or even get to some tackle stores to have a look at the right stick to put over the top of it.Obviously need something that can put the hurt on them hard and slow them up before getting busted off whilst still being managable from my end,but still not sacrificeing the stopping power to actually put some action on the smaller 100-200gram jigs the doggies seem to prefer.so preferably something that bends right back to the reel seat to keep the looser action on the tip for giving the jig the desired 'fleeing baitfish action'Have heard a few names mentioned in seven seas and ripple fisher,also considering looking at the jigging master and xzoga sticks.i want to have the correct gear as we got smoked in vanuatu last year with ocean blue so forking out the dollars again i dont want to come home with only busted up jigs and footage of getting smoked.
    OK GO!

Re: jigging gear for doggies

Jigging master has some pretty good gear!

Get the jigging master chesterfield island vid. Jigging up 100kg + doggies, it might help you make your decision.

well after being in the tackle shop today pretty sure im going to settle for a saltiga dogfight jig rod and ave done a complete backflip on the stella and am going to get a 6500 saltiga,100%waterproof,30kg drag-5 more than the stella,its lighter than the stella and slightly smaller in size plus it retails cheaper....why wouldnt u settle on a saltiga?

Fertile,

I have both the Stellas and Saltigas. I prefer the Stellas, as they are slightly easier to use, but they are both good. Have a look at ripple fisher, they make some nice rods. You can have a look in brisbane at Nomad sportfishing, or on the goldie at Fishhead.

TM